****BREAKING NEWS****Urban Meyer Steps down at Florida

sarge87

Urban Meyer is stepping down as coach of the Florida football team, athletics director Jeremy Foley announced Saturday afternoon in a release.

"I have given my heart and soul to coaching college football and mentoring young men for the last 24-plus years and I have dedicated most of my waking moments the last five years to the Gator football program," Meyer said in statement. "I have ignored my health for years, but recent developments have forced me to re-evaluate my priorities of faith and family.

"After consulting with my family, Dr. Machen, Jeremy Foley and my doctors, I believe it is in my best interest to step aside and focus on my health and family.

"I'm proud to be a part of the Gainesville community and the Gator Nation and I plan to remain in Gainesville and involved with the University of Florida.

"I'm very appreciative for the opportunity I've had to be a part of a tremendous institution - from Dr. Machen to Jeremy Foley and the entire administrative staff at UF. I'm also very thankful for the chance to work with some of the best assistants in college football and coach some of the best college football players and watch them grow both on and off the field as people. I will cherish the relationships with them the most."

Meyer will coach his last game for Florida against Cincinnati on Jan. 1 at the Sugar Bowl.

They lose a lot after this season already.

First, I hope the situation isn't serious for Coach Meyer, but the way big time college football with its pressures, it doesn't surprise me. I just have a feeling it's a little more than health reasons, but until there's some thing concrete, it's only speculation.

This announcement really shakes up the coaching carousel. I was against it before, but if Bo wants to make a move to change assistants, now would be the time, because there will be some good ones on the unemployment line.

The way I figure, there should be two really good teams thrown into disarray to fill that job. I wouldn't think Florida would go after some unknown quantity to be head coach or an assistant on the team.