Wt:190 lbs

40:4.5 secs

:star:star:star:star

Favorites: Alabama, Kansas, K State, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State

Offers:

A lot of good school in on him but we really need a solid qb

Rivals

ESPN

Could you update the links into the first post? We used to have stricter posting requirements in recruiting, and while I don't think it's necessary to have one set format, it's nice having the links in there up top :)

It's not a QB name, though. Dude should beef up and play OL. :P

Can't you just hear the radio call now, "Bubba takes the snap, Bubba rolls out to pass..........................OH WHAT A PLAY BY BUBBA!!!"

Could you update the links into the first post? We used to have stricter posting requirements in recruiting, and while I don't think it's necessary to have one set format, it's nice having the links in there up top

picky picky... :)

i'd rate this guy a :star:star:star:star just for his name. we better not get him to commit right away we might get "Pinkeled"

I just moved from Gardner, seen this guy play quite a few times. Town of about 20k that wasn't really known for football until Diener came in from Salina where he'd won a few 5A state championships. Took him about 5 years and 1 Bubba, but the two of them have transformed the town. They have film review sessions at one of the local sports bars every week where they break down the games.

Bubba is awesome, there's no doubt about it. He'll be a high 4*. I heard about him when he was a freshman, but started following his sophmore year. Gardner moves up to 6A this year (i think the transition happens this year), so we'll see how he holds up against Blue Valley and some of the larger KC Metro schools.

The main thing about Bubba is that he has a 93MPH fastball. He had some shoulder problems last year that kept him out a little bit, but it's pretty well known that he is a big league prospect and town gossip says he kind of leans that way. Whether or not that's how it will turn out, I'm not sure.

I just moved from Gardner, seen this guy play quite a few times. Town of about 20k that wasn't really known for football until Diener came in from Salina where he'd won a few 5A state championships. Took him about 5 years and 1 Bubba, but the two of them have transformed the town. They have film review sessions at one of the local sports bars every week where they break down the games.

Bubba is awesome, there's no doubt about it. He'll be a high 4*. I heard about him when he was a freshman, but started following his sophmore year. Gardner moves up to 6A this year (i think the transition happens this year), so we'll see how he holds up against Blue Valley and some of the larger KC Metro schools.

The main thing about Bubba is that he has a 93MPH fastball. He had some shoulder problems last year that kept him out a little bit, but it's pretty well known that he is a big league prospect and town gossip says he kind of leans that way. Whether or not that's how it will turn out, I'm not sure.

I'm not gonna lie not a fan of Diener at all.

Yeah I heard how much of a stud he is at baseball too. My bet is that he ends up playing baseball instead of football because I have heard rumors about him and playing baseball.

Yeah I heard how much of a stud he is at baseball too. My bet is that he ends up playing baseball instead of football because I have heard rumors about him and playing baseball.

A lot of people in town weren't fans of his. Preferential treatment of a HS coach in small town KS doesn't usually go over too well. You can't argue w/ results though. Not to mention that I have never seen Gardner come together as a town like they did this year because of this football team. It was good to see.

I don't know him personally so I have no opinion one way or the other. I know his daughter a little bit, think she's a junior/senior in HS or something. I'm about 10 years too old to know her more than that. :)

I do think Bubba will go the baseball route. Some will suggest being a 2-sport athlete like Khiry, but I don't think you can play 2 sports as a QB. You need to be 100% committed.

A lot of people in town weren't fans of his. Preferential treatment of a HS coach in small town KS doesn't usually go over too well. You can't argue w/ results though. Not to mention that I have never seen Gardner come together as a town like they did this year because of this football team. It was good to see.

I don't know him personally so I have no opinion one way or the other. I know his daughter a little bit, think she's a junior/senior in HS or something. I'm about 10 years too old to know her more than that. :)

I do think Bubba will go the baseball route. Some will suggest being a 2-sport athlete like Khiry, but I don't think you can play 2 sports as a QB. You need to be 100% committed.

Man knows how to win though. Thought it was a great get for Gardener.

My fiancée teaches middle school at Gardner and actually coached him in track while he was in junior high. Kid is a great all around athlete from what I have seen and from the stories she told me a real high character kid. I would love to see him in a Nebraska uniform.

Staples mentioned him in an article this afternoon.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/andy_staples/02/08/2011-class/index.html

Looks like he went to KU Junior Day (Rivals teaser). I didn't think KU Junior days were until later in the month but I guess not. Gill being a 2 sport QB should help w/ their recruitment of him. I still see him going MLB route, but we'll see.

His video shows a lot of promise. I would like to see him not hang the ball as much. He tends to float a few balls rather than drive them into the player. It is high school competition and he might just be trying to ensure a completion.

He is ours, you leave him be! You boys just stay out of Kansas, we got enough problems with OU taking top talent out.

• Upvote 1

He is ours, you leave him be! You boys just stay out of Kansas, we got enough problems with OU taking top talent out.

he may say he's going to kansas, but i have a feeling he won't go there...

The word is that the kid will be a first round MLB draft pick. I can see him going that route right out of HS. I would if I were him.

The word is that the kid will be a first round MLB draft pick. I can see him going that route right out of HS. I would if I were him.

First round is a stretch. I'd go more with 3rd-5th. He's had some shoulder issues if I remember right. I'm sure we'll know more as spring ball starts in a month. He has an away baseball game (Frontier/Kaw Challenge) on the 16th & 17th or April so I don't see him making it up for our spring game.

What's with all the love for the name Bubba? Why not just call yourself DumbHick?

Bubba is little classier :laughpound

Just imagine... Bubba the starting QB for the Cornhuskers... it doesn't get much more country than that.

I saw one baseball site that lists "Derek Starling" as the 258th prospect for the 2011 MLB draft. Khiry Cooper has fallen to 208th after being a 5th rounder out of high school. Plenty of time for both to improve that status.

What's with all the love for the name Bubba? Why not just call yourself DumbHick?

Just imagine... Bubba the starting QB for the Cornhuskers... it doesn't get much more country than that.

supposedly gill and kansas are very close to getting him commited.

Gill can play the you can start card next year

that and they have said he may play baseball as well.

Could be their Crawford.

Could be their Crawford.

Crawford, that is a name that brings up major "what if" thoughts. I'm sure Solich still wonders what may have happened if Crawford hadn't opted for baseball.

Well if he doesn't play baseball, or go pro I should say, I think that Gill would have a very good chance at recruiting this kid. Not that I want to see this happen. I just think that Gill is going to end up being a burden for us in recruiting skill players.

Well if he doesn't play baseball, or go pro I should say, I think that Gill would have a very good chance at recruiting this kid. Not that I want to see this happen. I just think that Gill is going to end up being a burden for us in recruiting skill players.

Especially skill players that live 25 miles from Lawrence.

I'm not convinced a QB could (or at the very least 'should') play 2 sports at NU. We hear a lot about the complexities of the offense, the terminology, etc. Our most successful QB's under Watson took 2-3 years to become acclimated to the offense, and they were there for practices in the Spring. I'm not saying some prodigy couldn't, but for the regular Joe, 3-4* guy I think it would be an uphill battle...one I'm not sure the coaches should risk the future of the offense on.

How do scholarships work for the 2 sport guys? I think Cooper's is a football scholarship, could Bubba be a baseball scholarship and not count against the football team?

the thing with baseball scholarships is that they get a percentage of a scholarship. only the best of the best get a full scholly and that is rare. the most i have heard of is a 93% scholly. if people give out to man big schollys then they cant get enought people to field a team. i think LSU had two people with a 90%+ scholly and they were having some problems with numbers.

How do scholarships work for the 2 sport guys? I think Cooper's is a football scholarship, could Bubba be a baseball scholarship and not count against the football team?

if a scholarship kid steps on the field for the football team he counts against the football team limits, regardless of which sport he was originally recruited for.

for that reason, if a kid is going to play football and something else, they are typically just counted as a football 'ship right off the bat. limited 'ships in other sports is another reason.

I'm not convinced a QB could (or at the very least 'should') play 2 sports at NU. We hear a lot about the complexities of the offense, the terminology, etc. Our most successful QB's under Watson took 2-3 years to become acclimated to the offense, and they were there for practices in the Spring. I'm not saying some prodigy couldn't, but for the regular Joe, 3-4* guy I think it would be an uphill battle...one I'm not sure the coaches should risk the future of the offense on.

While I agree with your reasoning, let's not forget John Elway did pretty darn well at Stanford.

While I agree with your reasoning, let's not forget John Elway did pretty darn well at Stanford.

...which is why I made sure to note - "not that some prodigy couldn't". it can be done, I'm sure it has been plenty of times before. I'd be curious to know how thick Elway's playbook was though. That was 30 years ago, and college football has evolved dramatically since then, both on and off the field. Elway probably had 100 plays to learn, how many does Watson have in the full playbook today? Plus that was Stanford, and while I don't claim to know anything about the intelligence of Bubba...one has to assume that with a name like Bubba he's got a tough road ahead in the "intellectual" area. :)

but for the regular Joe, 3-4* guy I think it would be an uphill battle...one I'm not sure the coaches should risk the future of the offense on.

Im not sure it matters the star ranking just the intelligence level.

Vince Young was a 5 star kid but I would highly question his intelligence.

Listed in his recent Top 5 on ESPN's Recruiting Section. Notre Dame, Kansas and two schools with almost matching uniforms fill it out (Alabama/Oklahoma)

According to ESPN, Notre Dame, Alabama, Nebraska, Kansas and Oklahoma make up his top five. All but the Sooners have offered. Starling is scheduled to visit Oklahoma next Wednesday. But it looks like this kid will play baseball in college and some are saying he will be drafted in the upcoming MLB draft.

According to ESPN, Notre Dame, Alabama, Nebraska, Kansas and Oklahoma make up his top five. All but the Sooners have offered. Starling is scheduled to visit Oklahoma next Wednesday. But it looks like this kid will play baseball in college and some are saying he will be drafted in the upcoming MLB draft.

That's what I've heard as well. Starling is expected by many to never even attend college. I guess if he gets drafted high enough I can't blame him.

That's what I've heard as well. Starling is expected by many to never even attend college. I guess if he gets drafted high enough I can't blame him.

Yeah but I also heard that he has had a pretty down year this year compared to how good he was supposed to be. I bet he still gets drafted pretty high though.