SIGNED QB Bubba Starling

The answer to the second can be found here...

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/draftday/rules.jsp

If I'm reading it correctly, the club that drafts him retains the rights to sign him until he enters a four-year college on a full-time basis. At that point he won't be eligible until after his junior year, or after he turns 21. So at least 2 years on the FB team, probably 3 depending on his birth date. He'd have to be a fairly old senior so I'm guessing 3 is the minimum once he enrolls.

The answer to the second can be found here...

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/draftday/rules.jsp

If I'm reading it correctly, the club that drafts him retains the rights to sign him until he enters a four-year college on a full-time basis. At that point he won't be eligible until after his junior year, or after he turns 21. So at least 2 years on the FB team, probably 3 depending on his birth date. He'd have to be a fairly old senior so I'm guessing 3 is the minimum once he enrolls.

I graduated youngest in my high school class at 23 from Columbia Missouri HS...

;)

I'm not 100% sure, but I think there are NCAA regulations that prevent football players from being on scholarship in other sports. Otherwise 16 sport universities would suddenly add bowling, fencing, and a dozen other "sports" and everyone would be a 2 sport "athlete".

NCAA requires that the biggest money-making sport for any multi-sport athlete uses that scholarship. For most big-time D1 schools that's football, but a few smaller schools might be basketball. This only takes affect if the athlete participates in a game (i.e. a wrestler would remain on a wrestling schollie unless he actually played during a football game at which point he'd be counted as a football schollie).

I'm not 100% sure, but I think there are NCAA regulations that prevent football players from being on scholarship in other sports. Otherwise 16 sport universities would suddenly add bowling, fencing, and a dozen other "sports" and everyone would be a 2 sport "athlete".

NCAA requires that the biggest money-making sport for any multi-sport athlete uses that scholarship. For most big-time D1 schools that's football, but a few smaller schools might be basketball. This only takes affect if the athlete participates in a game (i.e. a wrestler would remain on a wrestling schollie unless he actually played during a football game at which point he'd be counted as a football schollie).

bingo. he could theoretically go on a baseball scholly for his first year on campus, while he redshirts, but i can't see that ever happening. baseball has very few scholarships, so i can't see them using a full one on a kid that's going to switch over to a football ship the next year anyway.

also, i regardless of where he gets drafted, he can still demand (and maybe get) first round money. it is not at all unusual for contract offers to not match draft order in baseball. and i wouldn't take his comments about college to mean a great deal. i hope he means it when he says he'll be here, but it's the smart position to take if he's even thinking about going pro. having a viable alternative in hand is a pretty good bargaining chip at the negotiating table.

Can we use a Baseball scholly on him and then take another player in this year's class, or does the kid playing two sports use two schollys from the university one baseball and football. I would say we're short on scholly's for football players, but I wouldn't mind using a baseball scholly on this kid.

It only takes one. I believe they'll be using a football one.

If a player plays football and another sport they are going to use a football scholarship because the other sports have limited scholarships and often give partial scholarships.

This is correct. Even Alex Gordon didn't have a full ride scholarship. Baseball has limited scholarships and must split them to get the best players.

Khiry Cooper is on a football scholly, right? He plays baseball too.

yes.

he automatically has to, since he stepped on the football field. even so, he was placed on a football scholly from the get go, just like any other two sport athlete we bring in will be.

Tom Lemming was on the radio discussing Notre Dame recruiting recently and had this to say about Bubba Starling.

On Bubba Starling's decision to pick Nebraska over Notre Dame:

I was really surprised that Bubba Starling picked Nebraska because they were putting all their eggs in the Bubba Starling basket and obviously it didn't work out. Shawn Watson, the quarterback coach at Nebraska did a great job recruiting Bubba, and I think trying to relate to the family that it's only a four hour drive to Lincoln, not even four hours, and Notre Dame was a lot farther. He had made three trips to Notre Dame and each time the indication was that he was going to commit. So Notre Dame didn't pursue any more players.

LINK

From Keith Law's baseball chat today:

Josh (Lincoln, NE)

Ouch...you really think Starling could go as high as second?

Klaw

If he said tomorrow he was going to play pro baseball, I think he'd be a top 10 pick. He reminded me of Domonic Brown: An unbelievable athlete who isn't all that polished a player but still does incredible things on the field because of that athleticism. If someone cleans up Starling's delivery, teaching him to pitch instead of throw ... watch out. Second overall is a reach in next year's draft, but I wanted to demonstrate how deep the class is by listing all the names who wouldn't be insane picks at two.

Josh (Lincoln, NE)

Klaw

If he said tomorrow he was going to play pro baseball, I think he'd be a top 10 pick. He reminded me of Domonic Brown: An unbelievable athlete who isn't all that polished a player but still does incredible things on the field because of that athleticism. If someone cleans up Starling's delivery, teaching him to pitch instead of throw ... watch out. Second overall is a reach in next year's draft, but I wanted to demonstrate how deep the class is by listing all the names who wouldn't be insane picks at two.

Law keeps stressing the fact he thinks Bubba should only play baseball in high school. But that isn't the case.

Josh (Lincoln, NE)

Klaw

Law keeps stressing the fact he thinks Bubba should only play baseball in high school. But that isn't the case.

It just worries me how high he could go in the draft and this is the first even attempt at a projection I've seen.

• 2 weeks later...

Great article. I'm going with 60% he plays MLB - 40% college after reading it. I've been 60% CFB for some time now...but he doesn't sound nearly as certain in that article. (he could be playing politics so he doesn't hurt his draft spot by solidifying his commitment to college however).

Anywhere in the first round (which is where it seems more and more he'll end up going) and he's guarenteed a million plus. top 10 and it's probably 2.5-7.5 million. I just don't think he'd turn down that kind of money, it's too big of a gamble. Suh gambled millions to come back his senior season - but he'd already proven himself, had a fat insurance policy to guard against injury, and guarenteed money waiting for him 8 months after his decision. Starling could end up a bust in college and never get another chance. Take the money, work your a$$ off and be proud of what you've accomplished. Don't look back. I'll still cheer for the kid since he was almost a Husker.

Great article. I'm going with 60% he plays MLB - 40% college after reading it. I've been 60% CFB for some time now...but he doesn't sound nearly as certain in that article. (he could be playing politics so he doesn't hurt his draft spot by solidifying his commitment to college however).

Anywhere in the first round (which is where it seems more and more he'll end up going) and he's guarenteed a million plus. top 10 and it's probably 2.5-7.5 million. I just don't think he'd turn down that kind of money, it's too big of a gamble. Suh gambled millions to come back his senior season - but he'd already proven himself, had a fat insurance policy to guard against injury, and guarenteed money waiting for him 8 months after his decision. Starling could end up a bust in college and never get another chance. Take the money, work your a$$ off and be proud of what you've accomplished. Don't look back. I'll still cheer for the kid since he was almost a Husker.

I know what you are saying. His parents are completely want him to go to school though is the thing. Nobody here can do anything but speculate. But since he has even muttered the words that he is going to college, I say he goes in rounds 5-9. An MLB team doesnt want to waste a first round pick on a kid that is anything less than a garuntee that they can sign. Just my two cents though.