SIGNED QB Bubba Starling

• 2 weeks later...

What's with all the love for the name Bubba? Why not just call yourself DumbHick?

Bubba is little classier :laughpound

Just imagine... Bubba the starting QB for the Cornhuskers... it doesn't get much more country than that.

supposedly gill and kansas are very close to getting him commited.

What's with all the love for the name Bubba? Why not just call yourself DumbHick?

Just imagine... Bubba the starting QB for the Cornhuskers... it doesn't get much more country than that.

Gill can play the you can start card next year

that and they have said he may play baseball as well.

Could be their Crawford.

Could be their Crawford.

Crawford, that is a name that brings up major "what if" thoughts. I'm sure Solich still wonders what may have happened if Crawford hadn't opted for baseball.

Well if he doesn't play baseball, or go pro I should say, I think that Gill would have a very good chance at recruiting this kid. Not that I want to see this happen. I just think that Gill is going to end up being a burden for us in recruiting skill players.

Well if he doesn't play baseball, or go pro I should say, I think that Gill would have a very good chance at recruiting this kid. Not that I want to see this happen. I just think that Gill is going to end up being a burden for us in recruiting skill players.

Especially skill players that live 25 miles from Lawrence.

I'm not convinced a QB could (or at the very least 'should') play 2 sports at NU. We hear a lot about the complexities of the offense, the terminology, etc. Our most successful QB's under Watson took 2-3 years to become acclimated to the offense, and they were there for practices in the Spring. I'm not saying some prodigy couldn't, but for the regular Joe, 3-4* guy I think it would be an uphill battle...one I'm not sure the coaches should risk the future of the offense on.

How do scholarships work for the 2 sport guys? I think Cooper's is a football scholarship, could Bubba be a baseball scholarship and not count against the football team?

the thing with baseball scholarships is that they get a percentage of a scholarship. only the best of the best get a full scholly and that is rare. the most i have heard of is a 93% scholly. if people give out to man big schollys then they cant get enought people to field a team. i think LSU had two people with a 90%+ scholly and they were having some problems with numbers.

How do scholarships work for the 2 sport guys? I think Cooper's is a football scholarship, could Bubba be a baseball scholarship and not count against the football team?

if a scholarship kid steps on the field for the football team he counts against the football team limits, regardless of which sport he was originally recruited for.

for that reason, if a kid is going to play football and something else, they are typically just counted as a football 'ship right off the bat. limited 'ships in other sports is another reason.

I'm not convinced a QB could (or at the very least 'should') play 2 sports at NU. We hear a lot about the complexities of the offense, the terminology, etc. Our most successful QB's under Watson took 2-3 years to become acclimated to the offense, and they were there for practices in the Spring. I'm not saying some prodigy couldn't, but for the regular Joe, 3-4* guy I think it would be an uphill battle...one I'm not sure the coaches should risk the future of the offense on.

While I agree with your reasoning, let's not forget John Elway did pretty darn well at Stanford.

While I agree with your reasoning, let's not forget John Elway did pretty darn well at Stanford.

...which is why I made sure to note - "not that some prodigy couldn't". it can be done, I'm sure it has been plenty of times before. I'd be curious to know how thick Elway's playbook was though. That was 30 years ago, and college football has evolved dramatically since then, both on and off the field. Elway probably had 100 plays to learn, how many does Watson have in the full playbook today? Plus that was Stanford, and while I don't claim to know anything about the intelligence of Bubba...one has to assume that with a name like Bubba he's got a tough road ahead in the "intellectual" area. :)

but for the regular Joe, 3-4* guy I think it would be an uphill battle...one I'm not sure the coaches should risk the future of the offense on.

Im not sure it matters the star ranking just the intelligence level.

Vince Young was a 5 star kid but I would highly question his intelligence.