Best Deer hunting in Nebraska?

i cant think of the number off the top of my head, but the missouri river bottoms between neb city and brownville areas have some monsters. did you see the record buck dropped by the texan this fall? my friend i went to high school with, david haveman, tracked that sucker for a long time before they finally bagged him. hes always putting guys on monsters down there. his family has a lot of farm ground in the region and hes just got a passion for it.

Are you looking to hunt Whitetails or Mule Deer? If it's Muleys - the western part of the state has some outstanding Mule Deer hunting. The North Central part of the state is ok for Muleys.

For whitetails; the best area of the state in terms of deer herd would be the Southeast. The counties of Otoe, Pawnee, Richardson, Johnson, Nemaha, and eastern Cass are outstanding There are a lot deer in this area however land access is not all easy and the public hunting land in our part of the state is beyond poor. These would be Season Choice areas 20 and 21. For the Rifle season it's called Blue Southeast.

Another great area is the South Central area.

We have a lot of deer here in NE but not a lot of Trophy Bucks. If you are after meat - then we have some great hunting here in NE. With the amount of doe's here in NE most areas provide bonus tags where you can shoot a doe for free.

The muzzleloader season is the entire month of December and tags are good throughout the entire state. They also come with bonus tags.

I believe I hunt in thurston county or around it...lots of deer...in Iowa on a good day we'd see about 5...over there I see like 30 everytime. I don't want to pay for a buck tag cause it's outrageuos so we stick to the does.

Telling a farmer you want to shoot doe's and doe's only will get you land access easier than if you are hunting bucks.

I believe I hunt in thurston county or around it...lots of deer...in Iowa on a good day we'd see about 5...over there I see like 30 everytime. I don't want to pay for a buck tag cause it's outrageuos so we stick to the does.

Telling a farmer you want to shoot doe's and doe's only will get you land access easier than if you are hunting bucks.

:yeah we regularly tell respectful guys that come looking to hunt our farms places they can go to to shoot doe's. Surprisingly, most get upset and say no thanks when we tell them that the land they really want to hunt, and the bucks on it, is for family and friends or leasee's. Cant please 'em all. :dunno

doe's doe's doe's...when im hitting them on the gravel roads in a tractor running 22 mph...we have a doe problem.

:yeah we regularly tell respectful guys that come looking to hunt our farms places they can go to to shoot doe's. Surprisingly, most get upset and say no thanks when we tell them that the land they really want to hunt, and the bucks on it, is for family and friends or leasee's. Cant please 'em all. :dunno

doe's doe's doe's...when im hitting them on the gravel roads in a tractor running 22 mph...we have a doe problem.

Seriously? That's all I shoot are does.

If you need help with some doe reduction, let me know. I'd love to help you out.

• 5 months later...

what region is it? i live in iowa but i hunt in Nebraska (i think region 19? the one by sioux city/Homer/walt hill..

I have never hunted anywhere but where I grew up in southwest Nebraska, and the deer hunting there is amazing. I have seen many trophy deer taken there over the years and have taken a couple myself. I lived in a small town called Beaver City, and the 2 areas there are Frenchman and Republican. I have seen Muleys well over 30" and serveral huge whitetails as well. I have shot big Muleys, but the whitetails still manage to stay out too far. If you get a license in either of those two areas, you will find big deer. My friends wife shot a Big whitetail last year that scored 178 7/8". It was just south of my uncles farm, and had nobody had ever seen that deer before. It's just right place at the right time.

I've never had a problem getting access to deer hunting, does or bucks, unless someone else is already hunting the parcel of land or the land owner is a tree hugger.

What I can't grasp is I have had more trouble getting access to bird hunting areas. Personally, I would rather have someone shooting shotguns around my place instead of rifles, but that's just me.

Also, to those who say that does are better eating, I have only shot 1 doe, and it was the worst tasting deer I have ever eaten. Maybe I just got a bad one?

• 3 months later...

My deer hunting in Nebraska has been limited to a single county (Dodge) so I can't comment on what is the best. I do know that deer populations in Dodge County are so out of control that much of it is an "earn a buck" area . . . meaning that you have to tag a doe before you can tag a buck.

Good luck this season.