Best Deer hunting in Nebraska?

I hunt Dodge County, too, as a nonresident. Family has some land there on the Elkhorn. I get the season choice permit, which is good for two antlerless deer. They definitely want some does taken out of there, and I'm glad to do my part. The deer herd there is ridiculous. Sooo many deer... I remember when I started hunting, you were lucky to get an either sex tag. It was usually a buck only, and all you'd see were does. Lots of lean years. These days, I expect to have at least one tag filled on the first morning. Quite a change in the last ten or fifteen years.

As for big bucks... I don't know. There are big bucks everywhere, but the northeast part of the state is where I'd go. I've known some guys who have taken some monsters near Ponca and Newcastle. The bluffs around the Homer area seem to put out some bruisers too.

• 4 weeks later...

:yeah we regularly tell respectful guys that come looking to hunt our farms places they can go to to shoot doe's. Surprisingly, most get upset and say no thanks when we tell them that the land they really want to hunt, and the bucks on it, is for family and friends or leasee's. Cant please 'em all. :dunno

Leasees??? Meh.....

:yeah we regularly tell respectful guys that come looking to hunt our farms places they can go to to shoot doe's. Surprisingly, most get upset and say no thanks when we tell them that the land they really want to hunt, and the bucks on it, is for family and friends or leasee's. Cant please 'em all. :dunno

Leasees??? Meh.....

yes, leasees...we farm 2800 acres of land. its a business, with multiple income streams. not taking some of the money these guys offer to hunt some of it would be completely idiotic.

Leasees??? Meh.....

yes, leasees...we farm 2800 acres of land. its a business, with multiple income streams. not taking some of the money these guys offer to hunt some of it would be completely idiotic.

I understand your perspective,and I know it's a business. But from the perspective of a guy who pays his (exorbitant) taxes and just wants to walk a few fields and have some fun, it gets frustrating to see access to land denied because it is "leased." Especially when it is my (and other sportmen's) taxes that has already paid the subsidies that farmers receive.

The #1 reason we lease some of our land is not for any great financial gain, but rather investment protection. The leasees are effectively another set of eyes for us, keeping land a little further from the home place secure. We have one that maintains the fences and the no trespassing signs, brings us some jerky every year, and thats his payment. Bet your ass its written up though.

If I want to grow corn somewhere and I dont own the land, I pay the landowner rent. I take care of it, look over it, and always improve it. If Hunter Bob wants to harvest some deer but doesnt own land to do so, he hunts public lands, pays someone rent to do so, or otherwise comes to an agreement with someone that does own land.

Letting every Tom, Dick, and Harry onto our property because he paid some taxes or whatever isnt just unrealistic, its dangerous. They have no ties to the land, no stewardship, no responsibility. You can tell me all day long that you'll be a respectful hunter, but until you prove it by other means, then its not only something Im not interested in, but in todays society its potentially threatening to me, my family, and our business' overall health.

I would suggest cultivating a relationship with a landowner. Put some work into it. The land out my backdoor may be much bigger than yours and contain vast wildlife, but guess what: Its still my yard, and I treat it that way.

The #1 reason we lease some of our land is not for any great financial gain, but rather investment protection. The leasees are effectively another set of eyes for us, keeping land a little further from the home place secure. We have one that maintains the fences and the no trespassing signs, brings us some jerky every year, and thats his payment. Bet your ass its written up though.

That sounds like a great relationship between you and your leasee, one that I would be happy to foster.

If I want to grow corn somewhere and I dont own the land, I pay the landowner rent. I take care of it, look over it, and always improve it.

You are comparing apples to oranges here. If you want to plant on land that another person could plant/raise livestock on (which is normally the #1 reason and the greatest financial gain that land could get you) then I can see having to pay for those rights. Once hunting season rolls around, that crop money is made and the land is setting vacant. Sure, the typical hunting lease is a few hundred to a few thousand dollars, which is a small fraction of what you bring in from crops.

If Hunter Bob wants to harvest some deer but doesnt own land to do so, he hunts public lands, pays someone rent to do so, or otherwise comes to an agreement with someone that does own land.

Which goes back to my original comment that taxpayer dollers have subsidized for generations.

Letting every Tom, Dick, and Harry onto our property because he paid some taxes or whatever isnt just unrealistic, its dangerous. They have no ties to the land, no stewardship, no responsibility.

I don't buy it, very few guys will disrespect land or the landowners if they are treated fairly and with respect. With the exception of someone hunting near your house/family/livestock, it is far from dangerous. Actually, hunting is one of the safest activities (sports) you can take part in, much, much less dangerous than farming. B.S.

You can tell me all day long that you'll be a respectful hunter, but until you prove it by other means, then its not only something Im not interested in, but in todays society its potentially threatening to me, my family, and our business' overall health.

Which goes back to an argument that I had when I was job hunting: Most companies want to hire someone with xx years of experience, but how can a person get experience unless someone gives them that opportunity.

How can I prove that I will be respectful if you never give me the opportunity to do so?

I would suggest cultivating a relationship with a landowner. Put some work into it. The land out my backdoor may be much bigger than yours and contain vast wildlife, but guess what: Its still my yard, and I treat it that way.

Who says I haven't? Who says that I won't treat your back yard BETTER than I do my own backyard? My simply walking up on your porch, smiling, being polite, and asking permission to have access to your land should be a big step in that direction.

A person could disregard your rights as a landowner, but coming face to face to you and asking your permission should show you that a person has his and your best interests in mind. He shouldn't have to bribe you just to have a little fun.

Edited by 74Hunter

I dont know where you get your information about subsidies. You'd likely have a heart attack at the amount of taxes I pay each year. If you think they are so great, go buy some farmland. The money, time, and effort you have to put into an acre to receive a 'subsidy' of any sort is astronomical, especially for a family operation our size. Once again, a commitment has to be made. An aside, the true definition of subsidy might shed some light on this. You realize every major sector of the US economy has subsidies of some kind, right? And you realize that the end goal of a subsidy is to protect the consumer? That being you? We could go round and round about subsidies, and probably find more than one thing we can agree on about them, on either side. However, they will always be controversial and frankly I dont give a sh#t. Its like me bitching about the astronomical cost to insure my family while others have it provided or, ahem, subsidized, because I choose to be self-employed.

Our problem is we've been burned too many times. Is that unfair to other hunters that would be just fine and respectful? Sure. Its also unfair to us. The line has to be drawn somewhere. Usually that ends up being the friend of a friend. Bottom line, you cant please everyone. Anything out past that, and I might as well start calling myself a hunting guide and open a lodge, and after harvest that doesnt sound too enticing. Ive got to bear down on fertilizer applications, tax preparation, market forecasting, and seed sales...and watching football and trolling this forum.

I dont know where you get your information about subsidies. You'd likely have a heart attack at the amount of taxes I pay each year. If you think they are so great, go buy some farmland. The money, time, and effort you have to put into an acre to receive a 'subsidy' of any sort is astronomical, especially for a family operation our size. Once again, a commitment has to be made. An aside, the true definition of subsidy might shed some light on this. You realize every major sector of the US economy has subsidies of some kind, right? And you realize that the end goal of a subsidy is to protect the consumer? That being you? We could go round and round about subsidies, and probably find more than one thing we can agree on about them, on either side. However, they will always be controversial and frankly I dont give a sh#t. Its like me bitching about the astronomical cost to insure my family while others have it provided or, ahem, subsidized, because I choose to be self-employed.

Don't get me wrong, I'm from a family of farmers. I have cousins and 2nd cousins that farm thousands of acres and I appreciate what farmers provide for the rest of us. I also know quite a few farmers/ranchers from my times out in the wilderness. I understand that it can be an expensive and difficult business to run, which is not unlike many other businesses.

Off the top my head, some of the subsidies that I speak of: I know a farmer/rancher who used to have a good sized dairy operation, but the fed. gov't paid him to sell/slaughter (can't remember which) all of his dairy cows. Ethanol (the proceeds might not go directly to farmers) is subsidized by taxpayers.

The main farm subsidy I speak of is the setaside/CRP program. I had the understanding that since these acres were subsidized by taxpayers, landowners who enrolled in this program are supposed to allow (limited?) access lands enrolled in these programs. Most save them for family and friends to have use, which is ok. But what really upset me was to see a huge parcel of CRP land overflowing with pheasants, turkeys, and deer, only to see that it was "leased."

Our problem is we've been burned too many times. Is that unfair to other hunters that would be just fine and respectful? Sure. Its also unfair to us. The line has to be drawn somewhere. Usually that ends up being the friend of a friend. Bottom line, you cant please everyone. Anything out past that, and I might as well start calling myself a hunting guide and open a lodge, and after harvest that doesnt sound too enticing. Ive got to bear down on fertilizer applications, tax preparation, market forecasting, and seed sales...and watching football and trolling this forum.

I understand that you feel that you've been burned, and I would be interested to hear some of your experiences.

• 5 years later...

I believe I hunt in thurston county or around it...lots of deer...in Iowa on a good day we'd see about 5...over there I see like 30 everytime. I don't want to pay for a buck tag cause it's outrageuos so we stick to the does.

Telling a farmer you want to shoot doe's and doe's only will get you land access easier than if you are hunting bucks.

yeah.gif we regularly tell respectful guys that come looking to hunt our farms places they can go to to shoot doe's. Surprisingly, most get upset and say no thanks when we tell them that the land they really want to hunt, and the bucks on it, is for family and friends or leasee's. Cant please 'em all. dunno.gif

doe's doe's doe's...when im hitting them on the gravel roads in a tractor running 22 mph...we have a doe problem.

mmmtodd we just moved here last year and i have had a HECKOVA time finding a place where someone could tell me I could find some good DOES this coming season starting Jan 1st. where is your land? we live in omahaish....burbs. When I spoke to someone from the DNR they were telling me to go hunt the Loop East for does. Not very many people are willing to tell me where to hunt. I'm not sure if it is a "favorite spot" problem or...because I am female.

i would love to come and hunt does on your property if you would allow me to. i own my own business...i sell organic jams and jellies from fruits and veggies i grow in my own back yard. if you would allow me to hunt, i could bring you some goodies. i make just about every flavor of jam and jelly under the sun...and one of the favorites that i bake for the men is the applewood smoked ham, colby, and chive scones. they love them. i have spicy jams as well...they seem to love those. mango habanero, peach habanero...things like that.

i grew up in MN...everyone hunts and fishes. everyone. so, i have been dying to get out down here and see what the hunting is like in NE. i sure hope you see this before Jan 1st.

I believe I hunt in thurston county or around it...lots of deer...in Iowa on a good day we'd see about 5...over there I see like 30 everytime. I don't want to pay for a buck tag cause it's outrageuos so we stick to the does.

Telling a farmer you want to shoot doe's and doe's only will get you land access easier than if you are hunting bucks.

yeah.gif we regularly tell respectful guys that come looking to hunt our farms places they can go to to shoot doe's. Surprisingly, most get upset and say no thanks when we tell them that the land they really want to hunt, and the bucks on it, is for family and friends or leasee's. Cant please 'em all. dunno.gif

doe's doe's doe's...when im hitting them on the gravel roads in a tractor running 22 mph...we have a doe problem.

mmmtodd we just moved here last year and i have had a HECKOVA time finding a place where someone could tell me I could find some good DOES this coming season starting Jan 1st. where is your land? we live in omahaish....burbs. When I spoke to someone from the DNR they were telling me to go hunt the Loop East for does. Not very many people are willing to tell me where to hunt. I'm not sure if it is a "favorite spot" problem or...because I am female.

i would love to come and hunt does on your property if you would allow me to. i own my own business...i sell organic jams and jellies from fruits and veggies i grow in my own back yard. if you would allow me to hunt, i could bring you some goodies. i make just about every flavor of jam and jelly under the sun...and one of the favorites that i bake for the men is the applewood smoked ham, colby, and chive scones. they love them. i have spicy jams as well...they seem to love those. mango habanero, peach habanero...things like that.

i grew up in MN...everyone hunts and fishes. everyone. so, i have been dying to get out down here and see what the hunting is like in NE. i sure hope you see this before Jan 1st.

lots of good pubic hunting in the state! some of the state owned ground isn't open to the 2 doe for $11 s so do your homework on the regs for that area.

If you want him to see this i would just pm him. Be a lot easier for him to see.

But not so sure he'll even see it then. Looks like he hasnt been active on the board for over a year.

If looking for land to hunt on may be easier to start your own thread in BS forum.