Cooper commitment possibly coming soon.....

I've gotta agree w/ the above posters. Anyone that argues ratings are worthless is someone that is still bitter about the fact that they thrived on ratings during the Cal/Coz era and got burned. NO SCHOOL in the last 6 years has won a championship without top rated classes. I only went back that 6 years because that is all rivals had for data. When we were winning mid-90's our classes were always right around #10.

I took the last 6 nations champions, went back 5 years in their recruiting (assuming some redshirted). I think USC had really high classes in 01' and 02'. NO SCHOOL has won a championship in the last 6 years that contains a class ranked worse than #22 (and that class of LSU was sandwiched between #1, #2, #7) NO SCHOOL has won a championship that didn't contain a class ranking in the top 3. 4 out of the last 5 National Champions contained a #1 ranked class.

I'm not saying you can't when championships with Nebraska born 2-stars and #30 ranked classes...I'm just saying the odds are against you. I'm also not saying that a top ranked class guarentees you a championship...but the trends suggest that the odds are much more in your favor.

Hate rankings all you want, but the numbers are starting to hold up. That might not have been the case 10 years ago...but today's scouts/recruiters are getting better. Start praying for top 20 classes, because without them my money is going to be on someone else...and I'll be settling for the Holiday bowl.

Give me a 4-star over a 2-star any day.

2004 - USC

2002: #13

2003: #3

2005 - Texas

2002: #1

2003: #15

2004: #10

2006 - Florida

2002: #20

2003: #2

2004: #7

2005: #15

2007 - LSU

2002: #15

2003: #1

2004: #2

2005: #22

2006: #7

2008 - Florida

2006: #2

2007: #1

2009 - Alabama

2004: #15

2005: #18

2006: #11

2007: #10

2008: #1

Please don't turn this into a stars matter/rankings matter thread. For those discussions see:

HERE

HERE

HERE

HERE

There are several other threads which go on a tangent into this. I just went back 1 page.

It went away from "cooper commitment coming soon" long ago. I think the discussion now is whether a 4 star (cooper) is more valuable to us than a 2 star (marsh).

I am going w/ Cooper today, tomorrow, and every day after that.

Who has been more valuable to the team thus far, O'Hanlon or Thenarse?

It went away from "cooper commitment coming soon" long ago. I think the discussion now is whether a 4 star (cooper) is more valuable to us than a 2 star (marsh).

Who got injured early this year?

Not to mention, you are providing 1 example. Thenarse or O'Hanlon. Should we go back and list all the walk-ons in the program vs. scholarship players and compare their value to the team? Pretty sure more scholarship players turn out to be more valuable. Just a guess though.

As I mentioned above......the walk-on program is designed to allow the kids who might not have the potential as a highly recruited kid a chance to EARN a scholarship.

I've gotta agree w/ the above posters. Anyone that argues ratings are worthless is someone that is still bitter about the fact that they thrived on ratings during the Cal/Coz era and got burned. NO SCHOOL in the last 6 years has won a championship without top rated classes. I only went back that 6 years because that is all rivals had for data. When we were winning mid-90's our classes were always right around #10.

I took the last 6 nations champions, went back 5 years in their recruiting (assuming some redshirted). I think USC had really high classes in 01' and 02'. NO SCHOOL has won a championship in the last 6 years that contains a class ranked worse than #22 (and that class of LSU was sandwiched between #1, #2, #7) NO SCHOOL has won a championship that didn't contain a class ranking in the top 3. 4 out of the last 5 National Champions contained a #1 ranked class.

I'm not saying you can't when championships with Nebraska born 2-stars and #30 ranked classes...I'm just saying the odds are against you. I'm also not saying that a top ranked class guarentees you a championship...but the trends suggest that the odds are much more in your favor.

Hate rankings all you want, but the numbers are starting to hold up. That might not have been the case 10 years ago...but today's scouts/recruiters are getting better. Start praying for top 20 classes, because without them my money is going to be on someone else...and I'll be settling for the Holiday bowl.

Give me a 4-star over a 2-star any day.

2004 - USC

2002: #13

2003: #3

2005 - Texas

2002: #1

2003: #15

2004: #10

2006 - Florida

2002: #20

2007 - LSU

2002: #15

2003: #1

2004: #2

2005: #22

2006: #7

2008 - Florida

2006: #2

2007: #1

2009 - Alabama

2004: #15

2005: #18

2006: #11

2007: #10

2008: #1

Pretty good research for your 1st post. Welcome to the board!

Not to mention, you are providing 1 example. Thenarse or O'Hanlon. Should we go back and list all the walk-ons in the program vs. scholarship players and compare their value to the team? Pretty sure more scholarship players turn out to be more valuable. Just a guess though.

As I mentioned above......the walk-on program is designed to allow the kids who might not have the potential as a highly recruited kid a chance to EARN a scholarship.

Oh I get that, and I agree recruiting is important. I am just pointing out the ignorance of the comment in bold above. How can you say "every day after that" when you just don't know how they will turn out? Even if Ricky doesn't get injured, Matt still would have contributed more to the team than him. Heck Matt was an All Conference Player. Ricky was a 4 Star Recruit, Matt is a former Walk On. According to kc, he would still take Ricky over Matt TODAY knowing what we know.

Sooooo, I think that huskers1 and a few others may be a bit pissed after this weekend. However I would like to present the following riddle, which one of the following Safety prospects do you want on your team?

Here are the Rivals reported stats for both prospects:

Height: 6'0"

Weight: 200 lbs.

40 time: 4.5

Height: 6'2"

Weight: 203 lbs.

Now consider that one is a local product who is a Husker through and through and the other is considered a big time prospect that is getting recruited nationally. One for sure will put his heart and soul into the program, has said he just wants to do what will get him on the field. The other we think will be a good/great player, but you just don't know for sure how he fits into the culture. Who would you take?

Cave - I completely understand your point here. But the walk-on program takes care this issue. I would much rather take the 6'2 203lb Corey Cooper, who has a million offers, over the 6'0 200lb Bronson Marsh, that doesn't hold a single D-1 offer.

Again, I understand your point. Putting their height, weight, and 40 times next to each other makes them seem very similar. Yes, Bo can coach the heck out of both of them but they are still far away from each other in terms of potential. Give Bronson a chance to get a scholarship if he proves himself just like Matt O'Hanlon did this past year.

'

Why do you people keep f'ing assuming everyone can afford college, and that they should do so just so you as a fan can get the recruit that YOU want.

Oh I get that, and I agree recruiting is important. I am just pointing out the ignorance of the comment in bold above. How can you say "every day after that" when you just don't know how they will turn out? Even if Ricky doesn't get injured, Matt still would have contributed more to the team than him. Heck Matt was an All Conference Player. Ricky was a 4 Star Recruit, Matt is a former Walk On. According to kc, he would still take Ricky over Matt TODAY knowing what we know.

Oh I gotcha.

Sooooo, I think that huskers1 and a few others may be a bit pissed after this weekend. However I would like to present the following riddle, which one of the following Safety prospects do you want on your team?

Now consider that one is a local product who is a Husker through and through and the other is considered a big time prospect that is getting recruited nationally. One for sure will put his heart and soul into the program, has said he just wants to do what will get him on the field. The other we think will be a good/great player, but you just don't know for sure how he fits into the culture. Who would you take?

Cave - I completely understand your point here. But the walk-on program takes care this issue. I would much rather take the 6'2 203lb Corey Cooper, who has a million offers, over the 6'0 200lb Bronson Marsh, that doesn't hold a single D-1 offer.

Again, I understand your point. Putting their height, weight, and 40 times next to each other makes them seem very similar. Yes, Bo can coach the heck out of both of them but they are still far away from each other in terms of potential. Give Bronson a chance to get a scholarship if he proves himself just like Matt O'Hanlon did this past year.

'

Why do you people keep f'ing assuming everyone can afford college, and that they should do so just so you as a fan can get the recruit that YOU want.

???????????

I'm not assuming everyone can afford college. I am assuming that some kids are more talented or have more potential than others, which in turns gives them scholarship options to numerous schools. We are discussing Marsh vs. Cooper. Marsh has no D-1 offers and Cooper has a million. If you would read the rest of the forum before posting, you'll see the discussion and no one has ever brought up Marsh's ability to pay for college....I have no idea where you got that nor do I have any idea of the Marsh's finances.

We are talking about putting the best possible football team on the field not any high school kid paying for college.

It goes back to potential...some kids have a ton, some have a little. Marsh's potential does not match Cooper's at this time.....that's why Cooper has an offer and Marsh doesn't. Marsh might get an offer this weekend, he might not.

'

???????????

I'm not assuming everyone can afford college. I am assuming that some kids are more talented or have more potential than others, which in turns gives them scholarship options to numerous schools. We are discussing Marsh vs. Cooper. Marsh has no D-1 offers and Cooper has a million. If you would read the rest of the forum before posting, you'll see the discussion and no one has ever brought up Marsh's ability to pay for college....I have no idea where you got that nor do I have any idea of the Marsh's finances.

We are talking about putting the best possible football team on the field not any high school kid paying for college.

It goes back to potential...some kids have a ton, some have a little. Marsh's potential does not match Cooper's at this time.....that's why Cooper has an offer and Marsh doesn't. Marsh might get an offer this weekend, he might not.

Well I guess according to Rivals, but I trust the evaluation by the Coaches MUCH MUCH more. Not to mention we don't know how much film he has sent out or what camps he went to besides NU's camp. Cotton is one that didn't have film sent out on purpose, so it isn't unusual. I read that Bronson said in a recent interview that he just had his film sent out to a bunch of schools, makes you think that he didn't really do that prior.

'

???????????

Well I guess according to Rivals, but I trust the evaluation by the Coaches MUCH MUCH more. Not to mention we don't know how much film he has sent out or what camps he went to besides NU's camp. Cotton is one that didn't have film sent out on purpose, so it isn't unusual. I read that Bronson said in a recent interview that he just had his film sent out to a bunch of schools, makes you think that he didn't really do that prior.

Exactly. AT THIS TIME (see the part you put in bold).

Will be interesting to see if Marsh gets any offers from sending out these tapes? I wonder who he sent them to. Any idea?

'

???????????

Will be interesting to see if Marsh gets any offers from sending out these tapes? I wonder who he sent them to. Any idea?

Can't remember, this was 2 weeks ago when Bronson popped back up on the radar. Will look it up though.

Can't remember, this was 2 weeks ago when Bronson popped back up on the radar. Will look it up though.

Just found it in Bronson's thread. He said he recently sent film to Oregon (Scott Frost), KU, and Ohio.

And the stars/rankings debate/war continues. <sigh> All I'll say about that is correlation does not equal causation. And statistics are based on large populations of data, so trying to pick an individual result (Cooper vs Marsh) based on the statistics isn't very useful.

And far as Cooper and Marsh, if the coaches like Marsh well enough to offer him a schollie, then I'm not upset about it. Instead it makes me curious about how good Marsh might be and whether we got a good one nobody knew about. Either way, I'm more interested in what happens with the guys we get than what happened with the ones who got away.