Roger Craig

I am I

he is up for election into the hall.

he has 13,500 total yds and 3 super bowl rings.

has 2 super bowls with 3 touchdowns

was offensive player of year in like '88 or something (rushed for 1,500 yds)

only RB to lead league in Receptions in single season (had 92 in 1 season)

was 1st player ever to catch and run for 1K yds in single season

considering J. Rice and E. Smith are sure locks for induction should Craig make it over some of the other 'outsiders':

Charles Haley

Russ Grimm

Tim Brown

Chris Carter

Shannon Sharpe

Cortez Kennedy

The system he ran in optimized his talents, that's for sure. But to have different seasons where he rushed for 1500+ yds, led the league with 92 rec., won multiple Super Bowls, was an offensive MVP (AP)....it seems he may have been one of the 'hybrid' guys that redefined the position and production levels of guys like Reggie Bush, Dorsey Levins, Steve Slaton, Marshall Faulk...etc

Not being a homer(too much), for what he was at his time...seems like he COULD be in?

I will note that at 12 years Eligability he has the longest tenure of anyone in this class who is up for induction...meaning his time is running out.

I just remember his 'high-knees' running style and great big eyes...he popped players w/ physical play and still was elusive enough in the open field to get open for receptions. my heart votes YES, my logic says....

YES

Yup. Odds are stacked against him though...my old boss was a HUGE 49ers fan, also a Oklahoma fan. We had many football discusions, including whether Craig should be in the hall. He thought he should be, but wouldnt get in, and said that there are a lot of Niners fans themselves that dont believe he should be in the hall. Hard to think he'd ever have the groundswell to make it when his own fanbase is torn over it. I think they hold a grudge for that fumble in the NFC championship game or something.

Well I would say compare him to the best of his time and the best of our time. i'm drinking right now so I won't go through all the stat research, but if i had a choice of Clinton Portis, Reggie Bush, Cadillac Williams, Maurice Jones-Drew, Edgerrin James, Marshall Faulk, Tikki Barber, Warrick Dunn, Brian Westbrook, etc....

Craig was all of them before they were them. I would take Craig.

I'll add another list to his accomplishments.

Craig was the only running back to be elected to the Pro Bowl at both fullback and halfback (a feat which has since been matched by Stephen Davis).

On January 20, 1985, in Super Bowl XIX, Craig rushed for 58 yards, caught seven passes for 77 yards, and became the first player ever to score three touchdowns in a Super Bowl during the 49ers' 38–16 victory over the Miami Dolphins.

In the 49ers' 20-16 win over Cincinnati in Super Bowl XXIII, he rushed for 71 yards and caught eight passes for 101 yards.

-----------

Craig broke a lot of ground defining the RB position in the NFL. People forget he was a fullback for his first 4 years with the 49ers before starting running back Wendell Tyler succumbed to injuries ultimately ending his career. Craig should be judged as an all-around player instead of confined to one position. If statistics is the qualifier for HOF honors then there are others in the Hall that shouldn't be there either.

• 9 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...