signingday2010.png

Player: Brion Carnes

Hometown: Bradenton, FL

Position: QB

Height: 6'0"

Weight: 181 lbs.

40 time: 4.64

Visit Date: 1.23.10

Scholarships: Cincinnati, Clemson, Georgia, Louisville, Middle Tennessee State, Nebraska, South Florida, UAB, Western Kentucky, West Virginia

Favorites: South Florida (soft verbal), Nebraska, Cincinnati, Clemson, Western Kentucky

Rivals: stargold.gifstargold.gifstargold.gifstargold.gif

Scout: stargold.gifstargold.gifstargold.gif

1034_521_8.jpg

It will be interesting to see if Bo puts the squeeze on him. If he doesnt commit then we need to know soon and very soon. We have other people that we can give his spot to.

More so with Brion tho, cause he went from being a strong commit at USF, to having their coach get fired and now he doesnt know what to do.

I hope the kid does what is BEST FOR HIM. I hope he is wearing Husker red this year, but if it isnt right for him then i dont want him here.

It will be interesting to see if Bo puts the squeeze on him. If he doesnt commit then we need to know soon and very soon. We have other people that we can give his spot to.

Yeah, I was kind of surprised to see such a late visit date. I immediately wondered if his visit would be moot by the time he finally made it to campus since there might not be a spot available (for a QB). We shall see.

Is he taking any other scheduled visits after he visits Lincoln?

Brion has talked about possibly visiting Western Kentucky because he has a personal connection with their head coach, Willie Taggart, who used to play at Brion's high school (he's the guy who succeeded Tommie Frazier at QB at Bradenten Manatee H.S. But I haven't heard any specific date set for that one and haven't heard about any other possible visits elsewhere. At this point it looks like it's pretty much either South Florida or NU. As with recruiting, however, things always remain fluid.

With the tumult surrounding USF, I think he comes to NU. His brother said that he would advise him to come to USF if they got rid of Leavitt, so I guess that is one new cheerleader for us. Biggest thing is if Brion feels a connection with the staff or not. He just went through the entire process building a relationship that is now destroyed. I think he is a bit lost, looking for a staff that will make him feel comfortable in his choice again.

With the tumult surrounding USF, I think he comes to NU. His brother said that he would advise him to come to USF if they got rid of Leavitt, so I guess that is one new cheerleader for us. Biggest thing is if Brion feels a connection with the staff or not. He just went through the entire process building a relationship that is now destroyed. I think he is a bit lost, looking for a staff that will make him feel comfortable in his choice again.

Wait, if by "us" you mean NU, then I'm confused by that sentence.

Totally agree with the rest of your post though.

I did mean NU, the new cheerleader for NU is Brion's brother because if what he said is true then he is telling Brion to NOT go to USF.

I did mean NU, the new cheerleader for NU is Brion's brother because if what he said is true then he is telling Brion to NOT go to USF.

"His brother said that he would advise him to come to USF if they got rid of Leavitt" :dunno

Did you mean "...he would NOT advise him to come to USF..." ?

Yeah, I figured that's what you meant. And that's great to hear about his brother pumping up NU. Thanks for the info!

Yeah, I figured that's what you meant. And that's great to hear about his brother pumping up NU. Thanks for the info!

Actually his brother is presently a football player for USF. He told Brion not to come to USF after the Leavitt fallout. Basically told him to look at his other options.

He stated this before the firing of Leavitt. He also said that there would be a mass exodus of USF players (himself included) if Leavitt was fired. These were basically threats directed at the USF administration and only he knows if he will actually follow through.

I am also not clear as to whether or not they are actually brothers. Young's statement was the first time I had heard as much and I am not sure whether he meant it in the literal or figurative sense.

He stated this before the firing of Leavitt. He also said that there would be a mass exodus of USF players (himself included) if Leavitt was fired. These were basically threats directed at the USF administration and only he knows if he will actually follow through.

I am also not clear as to whether or not they are actually brothers. Young's statement was the first time I had heard as much and I am not sure whether he meant it in the literal or figurative sense.

Yeah, my guess was the same when I read it the other day. I think he meant it figuratively.

Young and Carnes are not related by blood, Young is his god-brother according to an article I found

“He’s my god brother, but I treat him like he’s my blood brother, and we have a real close relationship. His mom and my dad were coworkers and we kind of grew up together. He keeps me on the right path and always on me like a big brother should be.”

And then here's Young's comments

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/college/usf...s-coach/1063906

"There's a lot of recruits, like my little brother, (Bradenton quarterback) Brion Carnes. I would not let him come here if another coach came in here. I came here for him, and a lot of other players too."

Young and Carnes are not related by blood, Young is his god-brother according to an article I found

“He’s my god brother, but I treat him like he’s my blood brother, and we have a real close relationship. His mom and my dad were coworkers and we kind of grew up together. He keeps me on the right path and always on me like a big brother should be.”

And then here's Young's comments

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/college/usf...s-coach/1063906

"There's a lot of recruits, like my little brother, (Bradenton quarterback) Brion Carnes. I would not let him come here if another coach came in here. I came here for him, and a lot of other players too."

God-brother? Never heard that term before.

"His brother said that he would advise him to come to USF if they got rid of Leavitt" :dunno

Did you mean "...he would NOT advise him to come to USF..." ?

Yeah that is what I meant as several others have found those quotes and posted. I think NU is in good position to land him, x-factor is his mother wanting Brion to stay close to home.

According to Rivals, Carnes will be visiting Western Kentucky and Cincinnati as well. He also has just been offered by Clemson. So NU is by no means the only dog in this hunt.

By the way, I find it funny that in the Rivals article they make it seem like Western Kentucky is the leader for Carnes. Also curious is that they mention how LTR (also from Bradenton, FL) is trying to recruit Carnes, but it fails to mention that T-Fraz is Carnes' cousin. :dunno

Oh boy, I doubt anything comes of this, but apparently Leavitt's lawyers are suing USF to get Leavitt reinstated as their coach. My guess is this will turn into another Leach type of lawsuit where Leavitt is just trying to get more money from USF. But I suppose this could cause a little more confusion for Carnes and USF's other commits if they think there's a possibility Leavitt could get reinstated. :facepalm:

Its a biblical thing. When a child is born parent designate someone(God Parents) they would entrust in caring for the child's religious growth and personal upbringing.

That being said a god brother or sister would be the son or daughter of your god parents. I would think if someone entrust there child's life to a person if they die they probably spend a good amount of time with them.

Its a biblical thing. When a child is born parent designate someone(God Parents) they would entrust in caring for the child's religious growth and personal upbringing.

That being said a god brother or sister would be the son or daughter of your god parents. I would think if someone entrust there child's life to a person if they die they probably spend a good amount of time with them.

Not to nit-pick, but it's not really a biblical thing. It's more of a traditional thing than anything else, as it's not mentioned in the Bible anywhere. Anymore, some families that aren't even "religious" will do it just because the family has always done it.

Not to nit-pick, but it's not really a biblical thing. It's more of a traditional thing than anything else, as it's not mentioned in the Bible anywhere. Anymore, some families that aren't even "religious" will do it just because the family has always done it.

if usf does not hire a new coach soon, i think our chances are good...he would be a good commit..got my fingers crossed..nu needs a qb ,,,,should be getting one every year.

I know what a godparent is. I just have never heard the term "God-brother." But your explanation makes sense.

Not to get too far off topic here, but the concept of godparent is indeed a religious thing, but not a biblical thing. It started in the Roman Catholic Church with the practice of someone who is not a genetic parent of the child being present at the child's baptism. The idea is that the godparent will be somehow involved in the spiritual development of the child. It has since become somewhat popular in some Protestant and non-Christian circles.

Sorry for the rabbit trail. "Go on with the chlorophyll."

After watching Carnes senior film against Aquinas in the semi finals I am not very impressed. It seems like he has zero want-to. He was throwing off of his back foot anytime a defender was anywhere near him and consequently overthrowing his recievers again and again. What bothers me even more is that it seems like he does everything that he can to avoid contact. I don't think I saw one instance where he lowered his shoulder and tried to gain more yards. If anything he would go out of bounds too early when he could have gained another yard or two. Those highlights showed me a lot. If Bo wants to have the "most physical offense in the country" I don't see how we could be recruiting a kid like this. I will be very disappointed if we offer Carnes over Colter, Godfrey or Fajardo. That's JMO. Maybe the coaches think they can toughen him up or something, but in my experience that is one of those things that you have or you don't. I would think that him being Tommie's nephew that he would have it, but it doesn't show in that film.

It's worth mentioning that St. Thomas Aquinas was the top ranked team in the nation by pretty much every poll prior to their loss to Manatee.

Highlight films are highlight films. I'm not saying you can't glean information from film like this, rather that it is more indicative of what you are getting than your standard highlight film that shows only the positives without regard to the level of competition. It isn't apples to apples.

Few college quarterbacks would be providing footage from their encounters against Nebraska this past season in their personal highlight reels.

He would certainly be a project. You don't find many refined passers in the state of Florida as high school football in Florida is very much like football in the SEC. That doesn't mean that he lacks potential or that he wouldn't be effective operating a run heavy offense.

It's worth mentioning that St. Thomas Aquinas was the top ranked team in the nation by pretty much every poll prior to their loss to Manatee.

Highlight films are highlight films. I'm not saying you can't glean information from film like this, rather that it is more indicative of what you are getting than your standard highlight film that shows only the positives without regard to the level of competition. It isn't apples to apples.

Few college quarterbacks would be providing footage from their encounters against Nebraska this past season in their personal highlight reels.

He would certainly be a project. You don't find many refined passers in the state of Florida as high school football in Florida is very much like football in the SEC. That doesn't mean that he lacks potential or that he wouldn't be effective operating a run heavy offense.

Good post ticks, and I agree with most everything you have said, but shouldn't toughness and competitiveness be numero uno on the list of things you are looking for when you disect a HS football players film? This is a serious question. I guess I don't know because I am not a coach or scout, but it seems to me that a player who shies away from contact in almost every instance is a big gamble. Of course there could also be other issues here that I am not aware of, like an injury that is affecting his play or possibly coaches who have made it clear to him that he is to avoid contact whenever possible. Overall I do trust this coaching staffs ability to recruit, so with that said I wouldn't complain about Carnes signing with us, but I would certainly be leery.

Good post ticks, and I agree with most everything you have said, but shouldn't toughness and competitiveness be numero uno on the list of things you are looking for when you disect a HS football players film? This is a serious question. I guess I don't know because I am not a coach or scout, but it seems to me that a player who shies away from contact in almost every instance is a big gamble. Of course there could also be other issues here that I am not aware of, like an injury that is affecting his play or possibly coaches who have made it clear to him that he is to avoid contact whenever possible. Overall I do trust this coaching staffs ability to recruit, so with that said I wouldn't complain about Carnes signing with us, but I would certainly be leery.

Toughness and competitiveness are intangibles, which means they cannot be measured. The problem with intangibles is that everyone from fans to announcers tries to measure them. We cannot measure a kid's toughness based on a little game film.

The kid plays starting quarterback for a good team in some of the best HS football in the country. If he lacked toughness/competitiveness he probably wouldn't be starting at QB.

he's ours

i can feel it in my big toe.......

and since he's gotten the offer i think he will be ours to lose......

prediction: committs after visit

Yea that might be borderline, creepy.

"Are you Brion Carnes?"

"Yes."

"Hi, I'm a Nebraska Cornhusker fan."

Sounds like he's rethinking his decisions and that we might have a real shot at getting this kid. I saw his highlight videos courtesy of EZ-E (I believe thats who supplied us the video links) and I was quite impressed with his athletic ability to run and throw the ball.

What our offense seems to need is a QB who can hit the short routes with good accuracy (at least gives the receivers a chance to make the play) and keep their own mistakes down. While accuracy down the field isn't a must, they'd need to be able to at least hit the receivers with regularity. Add to that the ability to run the Zone read.

I really think what we did during the Holiday Bowl is what Watson wants to do with the offense. In fact outside of running the Wildcat more, I don't think there was too much of a difference between '08s offense and that game (we just ran a little more).

Have that and a productive O-line and I think our offense can be competent. Carnes at least has the running part down, and he looks like he's a great shifty athlete, as opposed to Green's straight forward running. A great get no matter.

haha just my attempt at a little humor. dont know why they took the quote out tho and replaced it with the "dont post insider info here". i got that quote from nexus's post just up the page

haha just my attempt at a little humor. dont know why they took the quote out tho and replaced it with the "dont post insider info here". i got that quote from nexus's post just up the page

Sorry.. my bad.. Just got alerted to it. Thought that I got the first post..

I wonder how South Florida's hire of Skip Holtz will affect Carnes' decision. Thoughts?

I was wondering the same..

Crabtree thinks he is ours..

I wonder how South Florida's hire of Skip Holtz will affect Carnes' decision. Thoughts?

I wondered the same thing. If Skip plans on bringing his own staff and booting Leavitt's staff, then I'd say we're good. Carnes mentioned that he really liked Leavitt's staff.

The other thing that has to happen is impressing him on his visit to Lincoln.