SIGNED QB Brion Carnes

JTrain

After watching Carnes senior film against Aquinas in the semi finals I am not very impressed. It seems like he has zero want-to. He was throwing off of his back foot anytime a defender was anywhere near him and consequently overthrowing his recievers again and again. What bothers me even more is that it seems like he does everything that he can to avoid contact. I don't think I saw one instance where he lowered his shoulder and tried to gain more yards. If anything he would go out of bounds too early when he could have gained another yard or two. Those highlights showed me a lot. If Bo wants to have the "most physical offense in the country" I don't see how we could be recruiting a kid like this. I will be very disappointed if we offer Carnes over Colter, Godfrey or Fajardo. That's JMO. Maybe the coaches think they can toughen him up or something, but in my experience that is one of those things that you have or you don't. I would think that him being Tommie's nephew that he would have it, but it doesn't show in that film.

It's worth mentioning that St. Thomas Aquinas was the top ranked team in the nation by pretty much every poll prior to their loss to Manatee.

Highlight films are highlight films. I'm not saying you can't glean information from film like this, rather that it is more indicative of what you are getting than your standard highlight film that shows only the positives without regard to the level of competition. It isn't apples to apples.

Few college quarterbacks would be providing footage from their encounters against Nebraska this past season in their personal highlight reels.

He would certainly be a project. You don't find many refined passers in the state of Florida as high school football in Florida is very much like football in the SEC. That doesn't mean that he lacks potential or that he wouldn't be effective operating a run heavy offense.

It's worth mentioning that St. Thomas Aquinas was the top ranked team in the nation by pretty much every poll prior to their loss to Manatee.

Highlight films are highlight films. I'm not saying you can't glean information from film like this, rather that it is more indicative of what you are getting than your standard highlight film that shows only the positives without regard to the level of competition. It isn't apples to apples.

Few college quarterbacks would be providing footage from their encounters against Nebraska this past season in their personal highlight reels.

He would certainly be a project. You don't find many refined passers in the state of Florida as high school football in Florida is very much like football in the SEC. That doesn't mean that he lacks potential or that he wouldn't be effective operating a run heavy offense.

Good post ticks, and I agree with most everything you have said, but shouldn't toughness and competitiveness be numero uno on the list of things you are looking for when you disect a HS football players film? This is a serious question. I guess I don't know because I am not a coach or scout, but it seems to me that a player who shies away from contact in almost every instance is a big gamble. Of course there could also be other issues here that I am not aware of, like an injury that is affecting his play or possibly coaches who have made it clear to him that he is to avoid contact whenever possible. Overall I do trust this coaching staffs ability to recruit, so with that said I wouldn't complain about Carnes signing with us, but I would certainly be leery.

Good post ticks, and I agree with most everything you have said, but shouldn't toughness and competitiveness be numero uno on the list of things you are looking for when you disect a HS football players film? This is a serious question. I guess I don't know because I am not a coach or scout, but it seems to me that a player who shies away from contact in almost every instance is a big gamble. Of course there could also be other issues here that I am not aware of, like an injury that is affecting his play or possibly coaches who have made it clear to him that he is to avoid contact whenever possible. Overall I do trust this coaching staffs ability to recruit, so with that said I wouldn't complain about Carnes signing with us, but I would certainly be leery.

Toughness and competitiveness are intangibles, which means they cannot be measured. The problem with intangibles is that everyone from fans to announcers tries to measure them. We cannot measure a kid's toughness based on a little game film.

The kid plays starting quarterback for a good team in some of the best HS football in the country. If he lacked toughness/competitiveness he probably wouldn't be starting at QB.

Sounds like he's rethinking his decisions and that we might have a real shot at getting this kid. I saw his highlight videos courtesy of EZ-E (I believe thats who supplied us the video links) and I was quite impressed with his athletic ability to run and throw the ball.

What our offense seems to need is a QB who can hit the short routes with good accuracy (at least gives the receivers a chance to make the play) and keep their own mistakes down. While accuracy down the field isn't a must, they'd need to be able to at least hit the receivers with regularity. Add to that the ability to run the Zone read.

I really think what we did during the Holiday Bowl is what Watson wants to do with the offense. In fact outside of running the Wildcat more, I don't think there was too much of a difference between '08s offense and that game (we just ran a little more).

Have that and a productive O-line and I think our offense can be competent. Carnes at least has the running part down, and he looks like he's a great shifty athlete, as opposed to Green's straight forward running. A great get no matter.