SIGNED QB Brion Carnes

JTrain

When I saw that Jamal Turner threw for 13 touchdowns last season with 10 interceptions I honestly got fairly unexcited about his signing pretty quickly. I would think that his signing had to effect Carnes decision.

We just lost a highly touted quarterback recruit to Western Kentucky. I would have rather had Carnes than Turner...

Like I have stated before. Don't hold your breath on Turner coming here. If the past has taught us anything...it's made us aware that a 17 year old kid (especially at QB) can back out of a school in a matter of seconds! Freeman, and the Gabbert's have shown us that! A long way until Feb 2011 and you can expect next season that many schools will put the full court press on him to commit.

There are quite a few differences between the Gabberts and Jamal.

People give Blaine a pass because we were in disarray and looked to be going nowhere fast. Tyler I dont give a pass to at all. Freeman, who cares? We did fine without him.

But Jamal is totally different. Tim Beck is his lead recruiter, he has paid his own way multiple times to come to NU and attend games. The kid drove from Arlington, Texas to San Diego, Cali to go to the Holiday Bowl. I think it is safe to say he will be a husker.

Judging strictly from both QB's films, I've concluded that Turner is a true dual-threat in every sense of the word. Like one recruiting evaluator from Texas said, "he's a wizard when the ball is in his hands." However, Carnes is good too, no disrespect to him. I would be happy having him on the team too, but Turner is that dude.

Well I hope you are right and I don't mean to put sour grapes on people's excitement of any recruit of ours. I honestly hope he does well. Apparently Turner had one game where he went 21-22 with over 400 yards passing and 6 touchdowns.

Scout.com has him throwing for 13 td's with 10 interceptions last season. Personally anytime I see a quarterback with almost as many interceptions as they have touchdowns it just doesn't make me think too highly of them as a passer anyway.

I am not sold on Turner or any recruit honestly until they prove it on the field but if he can develop and live up to the hype I will most definitely be ecstatic about that. The botton line is I hope he can be the player he's hyped up to be!

Every player that comes to NU, regardless of their hype, star ratings, etc. has to prove themselves. So I agree with you there.

FWIW, here are Brion Carnes's lifetime HS stats. He was a 4 year starter at QB.

Passing

454 comp.

796 att.

5,972 yds.

107 ypg avg.

55% comp. avg.

48 td

25 int

Rushing

341 car.

1,095 yds.

3.0 ypc avg.

45 ypg avg.

23 td

Now here is Jamal Turner's lifetime HS stats so far. Keep in mind that Turner's stats only reflects 2 years of playing QB (Soph. & Jr.) and he still has one more year left.

Passing

360 comp.

562 att.

4,494 yds.

238 ypg avg.

65% comp. avg.

35 td

14 int.

Rushing

313 car.

2,458 yds.

7.0 ypc avg.

125 ypg avg.

32 td

Are you suggesting that Kody Spano is the only good QB that Shawn Watson has recruited? I guess Cody Green and Taylor Martinez are just no name QB's on the team to you, right?

No. K. Spano is the only QB Watson has signed at NU and he dropped in Watson's lap. If Gundy had room, as planned, Spano would be at OSU right now and Watson would be 0fer.

You must not have read my entire other post, without Ekeler, C. Green is at ATM today. FACT. Carl Pelini signed Martinez and held off many PAC 10 schools. Fact. Watson was only their prospective position coach .

Hell Watson has recruited a crap load of QBs during his time as a coach, he's just a terrible recruiter.

:yeah

Spano is only here because he couldnt enroll at Okie State early on scholarship. I believe that is the case anyways.

I agree TMul with your post except for the last part. I will withhold judgement for now. I would imagine that Watson locates the talent that we want which is part of recruiting. He just is no good at getting them to sign at NU. IMO Tim Beck needs to be going and getting our QB recruits.

Judging strictly from both QB's films, I've concluded that Turner is a true dual-threat in every sense of the word. Like one recruiting evaluator from Texas said, "he's a wizard when the ball is in his hands." However, Carnes is good too, no disrespect to him. I would be happy having him on the team too, but Turner is that dude.

Well I hope you are right and I don't mean to put sour grapes on people's excitement of any recruit of ours. I honestly hope he does well. Apparently Turner had one game where he went 21-22 with over 400 yards passing and 6 touchdowns.

Scout.com has him throwing for 13 td's with 10 interceptions last season. Personally anytime I see a quarterback with almost as many interceptions as they have touchdowns it just doesn't make me think too highly of them as a passer anyway.

I am not sold on Turner or any recruit honestly until they prove it on the field but if he can develop and live up to the hype I will most definitely be ecstatic about that. The botton line is I hope he can be the player he's hyped up to be!

Every player that comes to NU, regardless of their hype, star ratings, etc. has to prove themselves. So I agree with you there.

Passing

454 comp.

796 att.

5,972 yds.

107 ypg avg.

55% comp. avg.

48 td

25 int

Rushing

341 car.

1,095 yds.

3.0 ypc avg.

45 ypg avg.

23 td

Now here is Jamal Turner's lifetime HS stats so far. Keep in mind that Turner's stats only reflects 2 years of playing QB (Soph. & Jr.) and he still has one more year left.

Passing

360 comp.

562 att.

4,494 yds.

238 ypg avg.

65% comp. avg.

35 td

14 int.

Rushing

313 car.

2,458 yds.

7.0 ypc avg.

125 ypg avg.

32 td

Keep in mind that Jamal plays in the Metroplex as well were D1 football players grow on trees.

• Fire 1

Passing

454 comp.

796 att.

5,972 yds.

107 ypg avg.

55% comp. avg.

48 td

25 int

Rushing

341 car.

1,095 yds.

3.0 ypc avg.

45 ypg avg.

23 td

Passing

360 comp.

562 att.

4,494 yds.

238 ypg avg.

65% comp. avg.

35 td

14 int.

Rushing

313 car.

2,458 yds.

7.0 ypc avg.

125 ypg avg.

32 td

Keep in mind that Jamal plays in the Metroplex as well were D1 football players grow on trees.

:yeah

Are you suggesting that Kody Spano is the only good QB that Shawn Watson has recruited? I guess Cody Green and Taylor Martinez are just no name QB's on the team to you, right?

No. K. Spano is the only QB Watson has signed at NU and he dropped in Watson's lap. If Gundy had room, as planned, Spano would be at OSU right now and Watson would be 0fer.

You must not have read my entire other post, without Ekeler, C. Green is at ATM today. FACT. Carl Pelini signed Martinez and held off many PAC 10 schools. Fact. Watson was only their prospective position coach .

Hell Watson has recruited a crap load of QBs during his time as a coach, he's just a terrible recruiter.

But you just said that it is Shawn Watson's job as OC/QB coach to recruit the QB. He even said in an interview with Husker Extra that he is very involved in the recruitment process of the QB. It may have been Eckler and Pelini that brought Green and Martinez to sign with the Huskers, but without Watson's insight and recruitment process, you can't tell me that we would have still pulled them in.

I just don't see the logic in blaming one person on the coaching staff for the Carnes not committing. But he never committed to NU, he was just offered and took visits.

In anycase, if Carnes signs with WKU, then good luck to him. But im not going to frown upon Watson, or the coaching staff for not pulling in a QB in this recruiting class. I have already said that i didn't believe Nebraska NEEDED a QB this year, just as long as we bring 1 or 2 of them in 2011. We already half way there as Jamal Turner committed, hopefully he stays committed. But im not going to stress out over Carnes doing what is best for him and going to the Hilltoppers, i guess he will add on to their 20 loss game streak.

I was reading rivals and scout and neither of them can confirm this. the linked report above is in question because their isnt any quotes in it.

There's been plenty of drama and perhaps more than a few surprises in the recruiting of one Brion Carnes. But the most recent development might be the "topper" of them all. HILL-topper to be exact,as Carnes reportedly chose Western Kentucky over the Huskers.

The second cousin of Tommie Frazier is a quarterback and has an offer from the Huskers.

Sounds like an easy formula to figure, eh? Not so much, it would appear, as Bradenton.com is reporting that Brion Carnes committed to Western Kentucky.

The story doesn’t have any quotes, but there actually was some concern on the part of Husker fans, because while Carnes may have blood relatives in Nebraska, he had ties at Western Kentucky as well, Willie Taggart, the Hilltopper Head Coach, was once a standout himself at Manatee High.

And then there was the drama at South Florida, as the Bulls ousted Head Coach Jim Leavitt along with every other coach who had been recruiting Carnes. But it wasn’t until the last couple of days as Carnes was on his way to officially visit Western Kentucky that USF pulled his offer. That left the decision down to WKU, a first-year Division 1-A program and the Huskers.

The speculation will more than likely be that the commitment of 2011 QB Jamal Turner, might have pushed Carnes in that direction. But we’ll try to catch up to the

Scout Link

"What I know about Carnes" by John Talman is on Red Sea Scrolls. Too bad I'm not a member...

Interesting. It said that he's gone through several Rivals affiliated team sites and Florida/Kentucky newspapers asking for confirmation on this so-called commitment, but so far nobody has been able to get a hold of Carnes himself to confirm it. Even Carnes's HS coach can't get through to him yet, since he doesn't know either.

Stay tuned.

"What I know about Carnes" by John Talman is on Red Sea Scrolls. Too bad I'm not a member...

Interesting. It said that he's gone through several Rivals affiliated team sites and Florida/Kentucky newspapers asking for confirmation on this so-called commitment, but so far nobody has been able to get a hold of Carnes himself to confirm it. Even Carnes's HS coach can't get through to him yet, since he doesn't know either.

Stay tuned.

I wonder if he is still in Bowling Green or back in Brandenton, FL.