Missouri season reveiw

I am not a Missouri fan i just think you need to take your Nebraska shades off and admit that Missouri had out played them for 3 quarters...they held onto the ball a lot longer then Nebraska did and played the field position game and pinned Nebraska deep for much of the game, i just don't understand how a coach doesn't sit down with Blaine and relax him and draw up some simple plays he was playing gimpy with no confidence after that INT. That being said Nebraska has one heck of a defense and really made Missouri look bad offensively for that 4th quarter and like you said football is 4 quarters and Nebraska out coached Missouri and won

I am not a Missouri fan i just think you need to take your Nebraska shades off and admit that Missouri had out played them for 3 quarters...they held onto the ball a lot longer then Nebraska did and played the field position game and pinned Nebraska deep for much of the game, i just don't understand how a coach doesn't sit down with Blaine and relax him and draw up some simple plays he was playing gimpy with no confidence after that INT. That being said Nebraska has one heck of a defense and really made Missouri look bad offensively for that 4th quarter and like you said football is 4 quarters and Nebraska out coached Missouri and won

when i watched the game, i remember thinking (throughout) that both teams look stagnant and it was anyone's game. i was just waiting for NU to turn it on, just get a touchdown to put them on an equal footing. but 12 points is not dominant. we were always in that game, if mizzou scored another touchdown, i think the game would have been over, but NU scored and got it within a td and it was game over. it is a game of momentum, and no one had a clear cut advantage of momentum until the fourth quarter.

To say that MU outplayed NU for 3 QTRs is a huge misrepresentation of what happened. TOP for NU and MU were almost identical in both the 1st and 2nd Half. MU had the ball for 15:17 in the first half compared to 14:43 for NU in the first half, MU had the ball for 15:11 in the second half compared to 14:49 for NU in the second half.

MU got 2 points on a botched snap on a punt play for NU. MU had 137 Total Offensive Yards in the First Half compared to 105 for NU. Through 3 quarters MU had 181 Total Offensive Yards compared to 211 for NU. MU got some breaks from NU in the first half and took advantage of them, but MU wasn't moving the ball and was not dominating the game by any stretch.

cave you are wrong on the yardage totals brother.

At the start of the 4th Quarter Nebraska had 79 yards passing on 9 of 27. and 30 yards rushing on 25 attempts. You didnt go over 100 yards until the last plays of the 3rd quarter and 68 of your rushing yards came on the last drive when MU had quit.

It doesnt change the fact that NE won, but Nebraska trailed in every stat until the 4th.

not counting sacks against the runs through 3 qtrs

MU - 56 yrd rushing on 23 attempts (with sacks 41 yrds on 25 car.)

123 pasing on 15 of 32

NE - 37 yrds rushing on 24 attempts (with sacks 30 yrds on 25 car.)

79 passing on 9 of 27 attempts

No where in any area was any team dominant. Unless you talking ST. Then MU was clearly better in the kicking and receiving game. Outside of that, it was some ugly football

At the start of the 4th Quarter Nebraska had 79 yards passing on 9 of 27. and 30 yards rushing on 25 attempts. You didnt go over 100 yards until the last plays of the 3rd quarter and 68 of your rushing yards came on the last drive when MU had quit.

It doesnt change the fact that NE won, but Nebraska trailed in every stat until the 4th.

123 pasing on 15 of 32

No where in any area was any team dominant. Unless you talking ST. Then MU was clearly better in the kicking and receiving game. Outside of that, it was some ugly football

Sorry, I just added up the drive total. I didn't take into account the sacks and penalties. Bottom line is that neither MU or NU did anything not worthy until the 4th QTR. NU made more mistakes than MU for 3 QTRs and MU took advantage of them better. MU was definitely better in STs as you said, until they missed that FG set up by a NU fumble on their own 25.

123 pasing on 15 of 32

Sorry, I just added up the drive total. I didn't take into account the sacks and penalties. Bottom line is that neither MU or NU did anything not worthy until the 4th QTR. NU made more mistakes than MU for 3 QTRs and MU took advantage of them better. MU was definitely better in STs as you said, until they missed that FG set up by a NU fumble on their own 25.

I totally agree that no team was dominant. It was just a weird game. I never felt comfortable because I just knew MU would f**k up somewhere. Gabbert folded under the pressure and the D gave up at the end. It was pretty frustrating at the time. Little did I know at that time that our defensive gameplanning and lack of adjustments would leave me even more frustraited as the season continued. ;)

BTW- that was our kickers only miss of the year...:(

I totally agree that no team was dominant. It was just a weird game.

I remember waiting for the game to start and ESPN goes to Columbia for a pre-game shot... "Coming up from Columbia Missouri...."

And Gabbert is standing on the field warming up in a T-shirt in what looks like the start of the Vietnamese rainy season.... like 6 inches per hour. I couldn't believe it. "OK", I thought... "This is gonna be weird".

Didn't see it mentioned but a big factor for missouri's losses...not playing physical football. When NU finally stacked the line....we drove the field. Navy simply out-muscled em.

I would'nt say Mu was out muscled. The game plan was awful. You cant play read and react against an option or veer team. You are dead in the water if you do. But most of all. MU is just a piss poor tackling team. Flat out awful. Navy looked like pinballs. Not because they were so powerful, but because no body wrapped up. MU proabably missed as many tackles as any team in college football this year. it was a season long issues and as someone who played for teams that prided themselves, as i also prided myself, on being sure tacklers, it is a very sore subject. 18 missed alone in the Baylor game. I bet is was atleast that many against Navy. Probably more.... :steam

I cant tell you how many times i yell at the TV. "WRAP UP!! DRIVE THOUGH HIM!!! GOOD GOD!!!!" :madash

<_< stupid non-tacklers... <_<

Didn't see it mentioned but a big factor for missouri's losses...not playing physical football. When NU finally stacked the line....we drove the field. Navy simply out-muscled em.

I would'nt say Mu was out muscled. The game plan was awful. You cant play read and react against an option or veer team. You are dead in the water if you do. But most of all. MU is just a piss poor tackling team. Flat out awful. Navy looked like pinballs. Not because they were so powerful, but because no body wrapped up. MU proabably missed as many tackles as any team in college football this year. it was a season long issues and as someone who played for teams that prided themselves, as i also prided myself, on being sure tacklers, it is a very sore subject. 18 missed alone in the Baylor game. I bet is was atleast that many against Navy. Probably more.... :steam

I cant tell you how many times i yell at the TV. "WRAP UP!! DRIVE THOUGH HIM!!! GOOD GOD!!!!" :madash

<_< stupid non-tacklers... <_<

That game was on TV? :cheers

unfortunately there were several "pinkel factor" losses to take away from what was a transitional year. losing to nu when they were winning handily is a classic pulling a pinkel. tigers had throttled the huskers easily and were winning the kicking game, with a baby qb who was suhdified and hobbling should have kept it more conservative and won out.

d coaches didn't have tigers prepared at all for tx, not pressing wr's was huge mistake and were outcoached overall. okie state game was very competitive and if kemp catches easy td pass game is different but he didn't. then they were outcoached, again and oks made good adjustments, mu didn't, again and they were put away easily. Baylor was a travesty, winning 27-13 and dominating the game, bu saw what worked with 3rd string qb, throw it short with huge cushion db's gave up, mu didn't adjust, again and got beaten, at home by the dormat of the conference. classic pinkel factor loss to an inferior team.

navy game exposed inexperienced coordinators who couldn't make adjustments a JFl coach would have, refused to take what was given on O or put enough numbers on edge to stop option, which iowa did against a superior team running triple option in GT and stopped them for most of game, it just wasn't that hard.

MU has a great recruiting class coming and will have a huge edge in skill players over rest of north and it's not even close and best returning QB in conference but with same coordinators who just arn't very good not sure if it will make much difference. fans are desperately defending bad coaching and are happy with mediocrity, pinkel has no clue as to what would make a good d and no d coaches that know either, so that will offset superior talent. If Gabbart starts picking up secondary receivers and stays healthy he will have a monster year, has a fleet of very fast, big recievers for next year already with several good ones in new class as well. won't mean much if they can't stop anybody.

bo is a superior schemer and defensive strategist but his recruiting of offensive talent is strangely not good. what's up with that? no qb in class and medicore wr's? too bad his staff couldn't keep original commits and they would have had something. Green will have to produce as Lee is what we thought he was, just a guy. If green can take the job and show some of his very good talent, would make a huge difference for nu. best thing for huskers is pinkel is too loyal to really good guys he has for assitants but they arn't coaches good enough to make a difference, they are just a bunch of guys who can recruit but not coach up the talent they attract. Pinkel's stubborness and ineffectiveness on gameday is only reason Mu won't get past the level they are now. But it's NU's opportunity. Rest of north didn't recruit anyone and won't do much.

Braylon Heard isnt any good neither is Kenny Bell or Quincy Enunwa right?

This is another uneducated post as to our current recruiting situation. THIS WAS GOING TO BE A DEFENSE HEAVY YEAR TO BEGIN WITH. Look down our roster and do some critical thinking and you will find an answer to why our class hasnt brought in very many offensive recruits this year. You recruit for a few years down the line not for that next year. Not many true freshman come in and start from day one.

The best thing that NU has going for them is that they are flat out better than Mizzery.

It may be great for fans to replay Misery last fall, but neither team gets to do that.

The facts are that

A) Over the long run we own the series, no question.

B) Over the short term we have had our problems with Misery. We were blown out two years in a row ans shut out for 3quarters in the monsoon game before laying it on em in the 4th.

C) We are at home this fall and should have a better offense and a less dominant defense, while they should have about the same offense and perhaps a better defense.

At this point I would say that we are only the favorites due to the game is in Lincoln. That is a very good thing.

I still think that game is key to winning the north. Once we do so the CCG is our next hurdle.

But whether it is the Mizzou fans claiming "we were lucky" or the Husker fans claiming "we bllew them out" in the 09 game in Columbia, it is just silly. The game went our way under a very strange set of circumstances. Never have I seen so much rain and never did we see such offensive performance against big 12 competition last year than the 4th Qt.

Just as they can well point to it for the preceding two blow outs Mixery layed on us, we can just say "scoreboard" as to last year's game.

Next year right now I'd say is something that should make either fanbase a little nervous.