Does Carnes Have a Chance to Start as a Freshmen

The funny thing about all this is the fact that we just always choose to look through rose colored glasses. People from Texas last year were saying Cody Green is a very raw talent. He missed his junior year of high school due to injury. Did we pay any attention? Of course not. He was heralded as the next Frazier. The raw talent gets rushed into playing time, and shows that he's exactly that: a raw talent. Cody needed a redshirt last year. Now, we're all into annointing the next Frazier not learning anything.

Well stated. that is why Green needs to redshirt now and so too does Carnes.

• Fire 3

First he has to get qualified. From his video, his throwing mechanics and accuracy are ahead of Green, LTW and Martinez already. I'd put him and Spano neck and neck, assuming he's healthy. Only thing I saw with Brion is he needs to work on his footwork a bit, but so do 99% of high school QB's.

Passing accuracy I see as

Lee

Carnes\Spano

Green

Arm strength I think is

Green

Lee

Spano

Carnes

Running ability I see as

Green\Carnes (Green more speed in a wide open field, Carnes better at getting into the open field and making people miss)

Lee

Spano

This is just my .02

I say Carnes redshirts, might have been a different if he was an early entry, but he won't pickup the scheme in fall practice. I wish Wats and Bo would just move Martinez to the slot in spring, because that's where his future is IMO and where we would actually help the team most (not that he cares).

You do not have Martinez in your rankings --- but in terms of speed and quickness, Martinez is in an entirely different league from the others --- he is considered, in pads --- one of the fastest and quickest on the entire team --- likely in the top 3-4 on the squad in that regard (at least that is what people on the team have said). He likely would be far and away the best runner of the QB's. Honestly, the only ones we have seen in action are Lee and Green running the ball. Neither is a very natural runner. Lee is a little shiftier than Green, Green is straight line faster but has poor field vision, runs straight up and down and hits defenders too high and is already falling before contact. Lee is not a natural runner either. That is, neither Green nor Lee are particularly able runners. Mobile, athletic -- sure. But dual threat --- not really.

As far as passing is concerned, who knows? Green has shown that he is really out of sorts, inaccurate and slow in delivery (mechanically) and he throws ill advised passes (it is somewhat of a miracle he did not have more picks). Then again, he was young, put in in tough situations and can, and should, improve. That said, unless he vastly improves he aught to redshirt and tinker with the notion of a position change.

I'd guess Lee is the certain starter based upon experience --- so long as he is healthy. Martinez and Spano, Green, Kellog, Washington and Carnes will compete for the #2 & 3 spot. Most likely, Carnes --- and, I hope, Green, redshirt. That would still leave Martinez, Washington and Spano as back-ups (in no particular order).

Martinez will never be beyond mediocre as a passer IMO. As good of a runner as he is, he's an equally bad passer. I personally don't see him as a viable QB in Watson's system, and think it's a mistake not to use him at WR as he'll never see a start at QB.

• Fire 2

As important as it is to start the right guy, I would be a little concerned about Carnes garnering significant playing time and possibly scaring away Turner. Of course, you want guys to come in who aren't afraid of a little competition, but between the athletic abilities of Carnes and Green (especially if Carnes establishes himself as a young-gun starter) and their combined youth, Turner might look at a school with a little bit more oportunity for PT.

Carnes is here, Turner is still a hope. There's an entire calendar year between now and when he can commit (or half if he does come in at semester).

Also, if that is what would scare Turner away then we don't need that QB (not saying it is). I want a QB who looks at everyone present and says, "I'm still going to NU because I'm better than what they have" - that's when we'll get back to the top.

Carnes will get a look this year because of what's in front of him. Also, that has to have ran through Turner's mind - if Carnes sees PT as a frosh it's probably because the folks in front are pretty bad. Move Cody to a different skill position and let him produce. I tanked fast on Cody because of his consistent inconsistency with regards to where the ball ended up. He looked like an athlete throwing the ball. Vince, Terrel, Mike Vick never looked that far off in college....

such as? I cannot see him anywhere else, but i'd love to hear where you think he would fit.

have you forgotten that this kid was a true freshman? give him some time to develop. he was a raw talent coming out of high school and was rushed into PT without the proper coaching/development time at the next level.

• Fire 1

junior, I think this is a different situation in a couple of ways. First, our probable starter is a senior rather than a junior; it's really time to be looking for a replacement. Second, I think the reports are that Carnes is not as raw of a quarterback as Green was.

Green RSing last year would have been the best thing for him. He'd have come into this year as a RFr, a more developed player competing for a future starting spot while getting chances in blowouts to slowly get eased into live action.

Carnes, meanwhile, if he takes a RS he goes into next year as a completely green QB in terms of field experience and I think that would only set him back in the race for the starting QB job. Which would be fine if we had someone waiting in the wings - but as of now, we don't. If Spano comes back wonderfully from his injury and cements himself as the QB of the future, I think Carnes and Green redshirt. But otherwise, Carnes is in a great position to battle for that #2 job. Even if he doesn't get it, if it's a 2a/2b type deal, he could see playing time.

First he has to get qualified. From his video, his throwing mechanics and accuracy are ahead of Green, LTW and Martinez already. I'd put him and Spano neck and neck, assuming he's healthy. Only thing I saw with Brion is he needs to work on his footwork a bit, but so do 99% of high school QB's.

Lee

Carnes\Spano

Green

Arm strength I think is

Green

Lee

Spano

Carnes

Running ability I see as

Green\Carnes (Green more speed in a wide open field, Carnes better at getting into the open field and making people miss)

Lee

Spano

This is just my .02

I say Carnes redshirts, might have been a different if he was an early entry, but he won't pickup the scheme in fall practice. I wish Wats and Bo would just move Martinez to the slot in spring, because that's where his future is IMO and where we would actually help the team most (not that he cares).

You do not have Martinez in your rankings --- but in terms of speed and quickness, Martinez is in an entirely different league from the others --- he is considered, in pads --- one of the fastest and quickest on the entire team --- likely in the top 3-4 on the squad in that regard (at least that is what people on the team have said). He likely would be far and away the best runner of the QB's. Honestly, the only ones we have seen in action are Lee and Green running the ball. Neither is a very natural runner. Lee is a little shiftier than Green, Green is straight line faster but has poor field vision, runs straight up and down and hits defenders too high and is already falling before contact. Lee is not a natural runner either. That is, neither Green nor Lee are particularly able runners. Mobile, athletic -- sure. But dual threat --- not really.

As far as passing is concerned, who knows? Green has shown that he is really out of sorts, inaccurate and slow in delivery (mechanically) and he throws ill advised passes (it is somewhat of a miracle he did not have more picks). Then again, he was young, put in in tough situations and can, and should, improve. That said, unless he vastly improves he aught to redshirt and tinker with the notion of a position change.

I'd guess Lee is the certain starter based upon experience --- so long as he is healthy. Martinez and Spano, Green, Kellog, Washington and Carnes will compete for the #2 & 3 spot. Most likely, Carnes --- and, I hope, Green, redshirt. That would still leave Martinez, Washington and Spano as back-ups (in no particular order).

Robsker I agree with EVERYTHING you said! I feel like Green wasted his first year. I hope the same doesn't happen with Carnes.

Lee

Carnes\Spano

Green

Arm strength I think is

Green

Lee

Spano

Carnes

Running ability I see as

Lee

Spano

This is just my .02

Martinez will never be beyond mediocre as a passer IMO. As good of a runner as he is, he's an equally bad passer. I personally don't see him as a viable QB in Watson's system, and think it's a mistake not to use him at WR as he'll never see a start at QB.

The guys on 1620 USC were wondering how much longer will it be Watsons system with the kind of qb's their bringing in. Like Willie said in another thread Watson liked another QB but was overuled for Carnes. The only person that can over rule the OC would be the HC (or the future OC Barney Cotton :sarcasm ) and it seems he see's a different kind of style of QB.

They were forced to burn his RS becaue of injuries and QB defection. I think Cody would make a great outside linebacker.

I would be drawing wildcat plays for Cranes right now and then passing off it like the Jets did and brake him in that way. If we were deep in great QBs Redshirt him. But right now we can't Redshirt him unless someone devolops in a hurry. If I was Watson I would be Air mailing a playbook and going overing it on Skype weekly.

I don't think Willie said that at all...only that Watson loved both these guys. I'd have to check though. He did mention Watson liked Cody, but didn't say that he preferred Cody and was overruled for it - unless I'm mistaken.

Reason being we had Fajardo lined up and ready to commit the second an offer was made. And yes, Watson would have given his left testicle to get Fajardo as he was in love with the kid. But we called off that visit due to conversations we had with Carnes.

Maybe, I'm wrong and he gave both for Carnes. <_<

There was another thread that talked about how the coaches were split between two QB's so maybe I read to much into this statement.

It's doubtful, Green only made it to the starting/backup jobs last season because of Lee's struggles and Witt transferring. He also had the benefit of an early enrollment to get the system down. I guess anything is possible because supposedly the offense is getting an overhaul, but he'd need to get the offense down and beat out players that have been around longer in just fall practices.

I don't think Willie said that at all...only that Watson loved both these guys. I'd have to check though. He did mention Watson liked Cody, but didn't say that he preferred Cody and was overruled for it - unless I'm mistaken.

Reason being we had Fajardo lined up and ready to commit the second an offer was made. And yes, Watson would have given his left testicle to get Fajardo as he was in love with the kid. But we called off that visit due to conversations we had with Carnes.

Maybe, I'm wrong and he gave both for Carnes. <_<

There was another thread that talked about how the coaches were split between two QB's so maybe I read to much into this statement.

Oh - yeah, that's the post I was talking about that. I read that as Carnes was #1, Fajardo was #1a, and we called off 1a because we thought we were going to get #1. As in Carnes was the top priority, but the Watson comment was put into emphasize that Fajardo would have been a really, really good alternative too. Correct me if I'm wrong BW.