Does Carnes Have a Chance to Start as a Freshmen

The guys on 1620 USC were wondering how much longer will it be Watsons system with the kind of qb's their bringing in. Like Willie said in another thread Watson liked another QB but was overuled for Carnes. The only person that can over rule the OC would be the HC (or the future OC Barney Cotton :sarcasm ) and it seems he see's a different kind of style of QB.

People read WAY too much into anything, especially when a guy is a whipping boy and can use it as a chance to criticize.

Watson like Fajardo. If Watson had his choice, he would have taken both. The whole staff was of the opinion in that.

If you want the facts about Fajardo, it was Bo who discovered him and found out who he was. Bo found out about him from his friend Bob Johnson who recommended Fajardo.

My comment, which as later quoted in this thread, was in response to questions about Carnes' academic situation and why we lost him at that time. If you remember, alot of folks were saying Carnes was going to WKU because he could not get admitted here. What I was stressing is that if we, Nebraska, had ANY issue about Carnes' academic situation, we would have went ahead with a Fajardo offer and visit without hesitation.

If Fajardo was wanted by Watson more than he did Carnes, we would have Fajardo. Watson liked both, VERY much. We got the one he preferred.

The implications that came out of that post over a couple pages in the Carnes thread, and now this one are funny.

/story

if we red shirt him its too our gain......but if the kid comes in and proves that he should start over the other guys than i have no objections.

What it comes down too is we need the guy who is willing to bust his @$$ 24/7 the entire season. It was a problem at times last year.

Best of luck too all the guys come spring ball, this could be our most interesting QB battle in a long time.

I don't see Carnes starting simply due to experience with Lee coming back but I do know that on film Carnes has the best feet of any of the quarterback's currently on our roster. I think he looks great throwing the ball also.

You watch that tape and you know why he was the #7 Dual Threat QB in the nation and the 1# over Cody

They were forced to burn his RS becaue of injuries and QB defection. I think Cody would make a great outside linebacker.

I would be drawing wildcat plays for Cranes right now and then passing off it like the Jets did and brake him in that way. If we were deep in great QBs Redshirt him. But right now we can't Redshirt him unless someone devolops in a hurry. If I was Watson I would be Air mailing a playbook and going overing it on Skype weekly.

Not sure about the OLB for Green. He seems adverse to contact. When running, he begins to fall before contact. that is a sign of a guy not into the physical side of the game. Then again, there are those who are not enamored of being hit but like to hit the other guy. Perhaps he can be one of those. It is, at least at this point, clear that he was not a natuaral at QB. Nerves? Youth? Inexperience? Maybe. If so that is entirely understandable. Maybe with time we'll see what he can do. But a redshirt is almost certainly something that he can benefit from.

I don't think Willie said that at all...only that Watson loved both these guys. I'd have to check though. He did mention Watson liked Cody, but didn't say that he preferred Cody and was overruled for it - unless I'm mistaken.

Reason being we had Fajardo lined up and ready to commit the second an offer was made. And yes, Watson would have given his left testicle to get Fajardo as he was in love with the kid. But we called off that visit due to conversations we had with Carnes.

Maybe, I'm wrong and he gave both for Carnes. <_<

There was another thread that talked about how the coaches were split between two QB's so maybe I read to much into this statement.

After watching the 2009 Highlights for Brion, I would have a hard time saying that Watson would want Fajardo over Carnes or Godfrey over Carnes or even baby Gabbert over Carnes.

Speed kills. He is very elusive as well. He throws very well on the run too. When the pocket breaks down defenders will have to run with the rec's or move towards the QB, this opens huge lanes for Carnes.

I don't think he redshirts, I think Bo wants as much competition as possible and the QB that earns the job gets the start.

By watching the film it looks like he has run the same offense that Watson wants to run. The college game is faster and Bigger but the plays look the same.Watson has got be pretty excited about working with this guy and I love the idea of Ganz working with the QBs this year. Do we have a interveiw of Watson on Carnes somewhere.

As important as it is to start the right guy, I would be a little concerned about Carnes garnering significant playing time and possibly scaring away Turner. Of course, you want guys to come in who aren't afraid of a little competition, but between the athletic abilities of Carnes and Green (especially if Carnes establishes himself as a young-gun starter) and their combined youth, Turner might look at a school with a little bit more oportunity for PT.

Carnes is here, Turner is still a hope. There's an entire calendar year between now and when he can commit (or half if he does come in at semester).

Also, if that is what would scare Turner away then we don't need that QB (not saying it is). I want a QB who looks at everyone present and says, "I'm still going to NU because I'm better than what they have" - that's when we'll get back to the top.

Carnes will get a look this year because of what's in front of him. Also, that has to have ran through Turner's mind - if Carnes sees PT as a frosh it's probably because the folks in front are pretty bad. Move Cody to a different skill position and let him produce. I tanked fast on Cody because of his consistent inconsistency with regards to where the ball ended up. He looked like an athlete throwing the ball. Vince, Terrel, Mike Vick never looked that far off in college....

such as? I cannot see him anywhere else, but i'd love to hear where you think he would fit.

have you forgotten that this kid was a true freshman? give him some time to develop. he was a raw talent coming out of high school and was rushed into PT without the proper coaching/development time at the next level.

As a QB, Cody was just RAW. Not a raw talent. There is kool-aid involved if anyone says he did anything on the field this year that makes you comfortable with him being #1 in the future. He couldn't move the ball against Baylor.... I hope he does get better and reach the potential that even I thought he had coming in, but then again I used to hope I would play basketball for Duke.

All the rumors that I've heard from within the team about Cody are that he's about as bright as a box of rocks in a closet. With Wats' offense, can a kid that's a butter knife actually pallate the scheme? Put him at a hybrid WR/split out TE and let him run out of the wildcat from time-to-time. Or leave him at QB and let him be a great backup. He could always end up as a great placeholder like Mr. London if you'd rather...

I'm just being objective, the kid CAN'T throw. He was handed the job and then had his card revoked after 1.5 games and replaced by one of the worst NU QB's we've ever seen (jury on Zac is still out however due to his injury).

I am a HUGE Husker fan, and I would actually LOVE to eat crow and/or humble pie on this topic...