Does Carnes Have a Chance to Start as a Freshmen

From the tape I've seen on Carnes (which I'm assuming is the same as everyone else has seen), here's my impression:

Carnes is definitely a pass-first guy (at least in their system), always keeping his eyes down field. You have to love that from a young QB, because so often you'll see a guy with athleticism rely on his legs far too much. Carnes really only ran when it was called for or as a last resort. He really impressed me with this aspect of his game. Moves in the pocket very well, good feet and a nice release. I also love the fact that he's used to being on a team where he acts as a point guard type of QB, just getting the ball to his playmakers. That will serve him well as he moves up. He's obviously a very talented runner too, so he can be a threat on the ground.

A few things worry me about Carnes. #1 is academics...you never want to have a QB who struggles with getting a system down, and a lot of time grades can reflect on the players ability to master a system. #2 is the fact that a lot of the throws I've seen were pretty wobbly. If he wants to be a big time QB, he's got to get those spirals tightened up. Finally, I worry that a lot of his success could have come from relying heavily on his weapons on offense in HS. Yes I know I mentioned that I liked him being the point guard type, but he got away with a lot of throws he wouldn't get away with if it weren't for Sanders/Bundrage.

Does he have a chance to start as a True Freshman? yes. Not very much of a chance, though. I think if we go to an Oregon-style offense, he's got a real good chance to be something special. He'll have his work cut out battling Green and Turner, though.

• Fire 1

the first hurdle with Brion is going to be making up a couple of credits in order to get qualified.

lets make sure he gets qualified and is on campus before we name him the "Second Coming of Tommy Frazier"

Under a normal scenario of course we redshirt him.

But we do "not" have a normal qb scenario at NU. We had a truly dreadful offense last year that cost us four games despite having a viciously superb defense. Lee can't run (at all) or pass accurately. We need to put in anybody who can do something reasonably well.

If it's a freshman even with the lack of experience downside, so be it.

Lee can't run (at all) or pass accurately. We need to put in anybody who can do something reasonably well.

i'd wait to see what lee can do with a healthy arm, a healthy line, healthy running backs and receivers that aren't first year starters before i throw him on the scrap pile. he definitely has a lot to prove though. his performance in the holiday bowl was a start and he finally looked like someone that actually wants to run the ball, rather than a guy looking for a place to fall down.

i do agree that the competition should and will be open.

Lee can't run (at all) or pass accurately. We need to put in anybody who can do something reasonably well.

i'd wait to see what lee can do with a healthy arm, a healthy line, healthy running backs and receivers that aren't first year starters before i throw him on the scrap pile. he definitely has a lot to prove though. his performance in the holiday bowl was a start and he finally looked like someone that actually wants to run the ball, rather than a guy looking for a place to fall down.

i do agree that the competition should and will be open.

Good Article on Him http://www.omaha.com/article/20100207/BIGRED/702069770

Carnes is a redshirt and surprised if he does not. Offense found a good identity in the Holiday Bowl and Lee should come back stronger. Also, I expect Green to be a lot better (he was a true freshman and put in some tough spots). Those are your two guys. We need to find a WR that will emerge and help our QB's. If Paul, Kinnie, and McNeill can be key in our passing game that will help our QB's immensely. Gilleylen is an X factor for me...we saw in the bowl game we wanted to get him the ball but so far has not worked out with him. He could really help next year if he can finally get it to click and make some key catches. I love Roy and Rex in the back field and the wild cob we ran as well. Give Tray some opportunities to pound the rock also.

I think our future QBs are going to be very similar to Carnes and Turner. 6'-6'2" guys that are shifty runners and fast. After watching his tape I think he's got a very real shot at maybe starting or at least seeing time in the second half of the season (when he gets the offense down, or they're going to redshirt him). Then unless Green makes great strides this year I see him being the front runner heading into 2011.

4:45 of his tape is definitely the most athletic play.

Carnes is a redshirt and surprised if he does not. Offense found a good identity in the Holiday Bowl and Lee should come back stronger. Also, I expect Green to be a lot better (he was a true freshman and put in some tough spots). Those are your two guys. We need to find a WR that will emerge and help our QB's. If Paul, Kinnie, and McNeill can be key in our passing game that will help our QB's immensely. Gilleylen is an X factor for me...we saw in the bowl game we wanted to get him the ball but so far has not worked out with him. He could really help next year if he can finally get it to click and make some key catches. I love Roy and Rex in the back field and the wild cob we ran as well. Give Tray some opportunities to pound the rock also.

We have to really wonder if the problems were the WR or the QB. Probably both.

I will begin by saying I think he is a going to be a really good Husker. Carnes will not start working with the offense until he gets on campus so the odds of him starting are slim. Cody was enrolled early and got to participate in spring ball last year.

After reviewing some of the expectations that people have set for the 2010 Husker season; if Carnes is under center as the starting QB we will not be where we want to be as a program next year. JMHO

• Fire 2

I will begin by saying I think he is a going to be a really good Husker. Carnes will not start working with the offense until he gets on campus so the odds of him starting are slim. Cody was enrolled early and got to participate in spring ball last year.

After reviewing some of the expectations that people have set for the 2010 Husker season; if Carnes is under center as the starting QB we will not be where we want to be as a program next year. JMHO

That is the best response I have read in the 70+ posts

I couldnt agree more

:yeah But looking to 2011 (if Carnes does redshirt next year), it looks like he has the intangibles to be the leader our offense needs. Check out this more in-depth article from today's OWH & you'll see what I mean.

My fav part of the article...

Carnes won 39 games in four seasons. The last one, 28-20 on Dec. 11 over St. Thomas Aquinas of Fort Lauderdale, snapped the 37-game winning streak of the two-time defending 5A Florida champion and the No. 1 high school team nationally, according to USA Today.

I couldnt agree more

yeah.gif But looking to 2011 (if Carnes does redshirt next year), it looks like he has the intangibles to be the leader our offense needs. Check out this more in-depth article from today's OWH & you'll see what I mean.

My fav part of the article...

Carnes won 39 games in four seasons. The last one, 28-20 on Dec. 11 over St. Thomas Aquinas of Fort Lauderdale, snapped the 37-game winning streak of the two-time defending 5A Florida champion and the No. 1 high school team nationally, according to USA Today.

I read that too. The thing I like also is he did all of this in Florida's largest class so he's played (and practiced) against top notch competition. If Carnes can play up to his potential the job is his to lose after next season.

I liked this part:

More than 10 Manatee quarterbacks transferred to other schools during Carnes' reign.