OLB Anthony Sarao

Nexus

He should have his score either today or tomorrow, and he needs a 1400-1500 at least to make it.

He also is interested in UCLA if he doesn't make it into Stanford. Sounds like another kid who if it were 100% football would be a NU lock, but he's obviously interested in the Academic side as well which has him leaning towards Stanford and considering UCLA.

Out of 2400 or 1600?

Guessing 1600, but the article didn't say specifically other than the coaches told him that number.

That's rough. Stanford doesn't have a strict cutoff like that for students even in the regular pool. That would be a pretty unforgiving requirement - maybe he has middling grades in school, and the coaches need that to justify admission...or maybe it's out of 2400 (in which case, shame on Stanford for having such lax admissions policies for athletes). I guess either way we'll find out soon enough.

Anyone know more about how scholarship offers are handled with regards to the admissions office? Each school probably does things differently, but maybe the coaches are giving him a number they think will 'guarantee' him a spot, as opposed to it being a bare minimum requirement. That's still important for him because if he gets less than that, he may not want to wait around for January or whenever the Admissions Office comes back with a decision...tough spot in that case: stay committed to a school you might not be admitted to, or look around.

He has a 3.9+ GPA from what i've seen, Stanford is just absurdly difficult to get into. I think he'll be admitted into Stanford no problem, but you never know there.

How things go? As in - he's concerned his SAT results might not be good enough for Stanford?

The recent rivals article about it simply said that he hasn't got his results back...but needs a 1400 or 1500 on the SAT to qualify.

girlknowsfootball is usually all over these test scenarios. If your out there, any idea what's going on?

girlknowsfootball is usually all over these test scenarios. If your out there, any idea what's going on?

:LOLtartar - if I remember correctly she only just recently learned that the SAT wasn't based on a 1600 score anymore. She'll just have some long winded "what we know" conversation that includes Stanford is a tough school to get into and Texas academics equal Rice's.

Hey Hey Hey Now... I knew it was out of 2400, you must have me mixed up with someone else. haha. Well if Stanford's academic requirements are a 1400 out of 1600 then they would be have a really hard time having a football team... there's not too many kids who score that high even if they have 4.0 GPA's. If it's a 1400 out of 2400 then that is a very low requirement... it would be equal to a 466 on each of the three 800point sections... that's low enough to qualify for most division II schools... or lax division I schools.

If I had to guess between the 2 i'd say it's the 1400 out of 1600... Stanford's low end average is a 1340 for general students according to collegeboard.com, their high end average is a 1540... thus most Stanford students enter the university having scored between a `1340-1540 out of 1600... thus 1400 would seem about right for what he needs to get in to Stanford.

Hey Hey Hey Now... I knew it was out of 2400, you must have me mixed up with someone else.

Here's some information for all of you guys who are not from Texas,

UT is VERY hard to get into as a high school student. Their academics are top notch and unless you have like a 1300SAT out of 1600 then you can forget getting into that school. UT in Texas is up there with Rice. It has a better law school than SMU and a business school that is one of the best in the country. Their academics compete on some levels with ivy league schools. The campus is over 60,000... around here we call it a city within a city. They have their own buss system, their own mass transportation system with trains and everything. They're HUGE and are one of the top party schools in the country. The school is extremely liberal and pro gay/lesbian for the most part. 6th street in Austin has been known to be one of the top party spots in the world. The weather is nice, their football program brings in close to double what NU's does, their facilities are just as good if not better, their stadium seats more people and has a bigger score board, they are in the top 5 year in and year out. These kids can go there and be within 4 hours from home from almost any urban city in Texas and they grow up into the Longhorns like Nebraska kids are into the cornhuskers.

When UT offers a Texas kid... it is almost impossible to pull that kid out of state to NU. Some kids go to OU because of its proximity to Texas and still prestigious program...but good luck pulling them all the way to NU. And I say all this as a Strong NU fan. I'm sick of UT and have had to live in Texas my whole life putting up with their crap and their fans..ugh.

Stanford SAT numbers...

25th percentile/75th percentile

SAT Critical Reading 660/760

SAT Math 680/780

SAT Writing 670/760

Few other things...

C16. Notification to applicants of admission decision sent by: April 1

C17. Reply policy for admitted applicants: Must reply by: May 1

C21. Early decision: Does your institution offer an early decision plan (an admission plan that permits students to apply and be notified of an admission decision well in advance of the regular notification date and that asks students to commit to attending if accepted) for first-time, first-year (freshman) applicants for fall enrollment? No

C22. Early action: Do you have a nonbinding early action plan whereby students are notified of an admission decision well in advance of the regular notification date but do not have to commit to attending your college? Yes

Early action closing date: Nov. 1

Early action notification date: Dec. 15

Is your early action a "restrictive" plan under which you limit students from applying to other early plans? Yes

If Stanford required its football players to have SAT scores of 1400-1500 out of 1600, believe me, they would not win games. I don't know where this report of a 1500/1600 came from but I am certain it is not true. Schools like Stanford and Notre Dame that want to have competitive football programs simply have to lower admissions standards for recruits.

If Stanford required its football players to have SAT scores of 1400-1500 out of 1600, believe me, they would not win games. I don't know where this report of a 1500/1600 came from but I am certain it is not true. Schools like Stanford and Notre Dame that want to have competitive football programs simply have to lower admissions standards for recruits.

Spot on IMO.

From those stats, you can probably safely say a hefty percentage of Stanford admits have below 1400 overall on Math/Reading.

If it is indeed out of 1600, again, it's probably a case where they tell him 'do approx this well and we'll have NO trouble getting the Admissions Office to let you in; otherwise, we can't really make a guarantee but we'll push for you.' Either way he's got a good shot probably; you're looking at the difference between say, 99% and 60. That's a lot better than what most kids face, because you throw stats like those test score ranges and acceptance percentages out the window when you talk about a talented scholarship athlete.

And the draw is that if he doesn't do well and stays committed, he risks having to start searching for a new school after December 15. (He's probably applying EA...)

The reason I'm saying this is because 1400 is the kind of score where if a high school senior asks, "Will this qualify me for Stanford", you tell him/her that it's just fine and it's in the range. You can't say "get below that, and you got no shot." Hopefully nobody gets the idea that Stanford has a cutoff line for something as silly as a SAT score number.

girlknowsfootball, UT-Austin is a very fine university with great academics, but that 1300+/1600 stuff doesn't even apply to Stanford. And, don't kids in the top 10% of their graduating class in Texas get automatic acceptance to any state uni? Sweet deal for those kids, but Top 10% is a LOT of people. Not to get too off topic or anything.

• Fire 1

Looks like he's pretty solid to Stanford, but keeping one option open just in case he doesn't get in:

From SCOUT Free Article:

Post-camp interview with Stanford LB commit Anthony Sarao

On his camp experience…

I was here yesterday hanging out with the players, getting chemistry going.

On the chemistry with some of the other 2011 commits…

Everything was good, we already have what, 17 commits? Were all out here having fun - it seems like were already on the team.

On his summer goals…

This summer Im just trying to get my technique down. You always need technique because you can have all the talent in the world but if you dont have technique [you wont play well.]

On his standing with his Stanford commitment and the recruiting process…

Im solid to Stanford. I worked hard for my SAT so Im pretty sure I got my SAT score. Im not worried about that. Im out here playing with my future teammates and its good. Im solid to Stanford.

On keeping his doors open until he gets admitted…

Yeah Im still keeping my doors open because you never know with Stanford. You get a lot of de-commits at the end, not even de-commits, just kids who cant get in to the school so you never know.

Sarao Interview

Hey Hey Hey Now... I knew it was out of 2400, you must have me mixed up with someone else.

Here's some information for all of you guys who are not from Texas,

UT is VERY hard to get into as a high school student. Their academics are top notch and unless you have like a 1300SAT out of 1600 then you can forget getting into that school. UT in Texas is up there with Rice. It has a better law school than SMU and a business school that is one of the best in the country. Their academics compete on some levels with ivy league schools. The campus is over 60,000... around here we call it a city within a city. They have their own buss system, their own mass transportation system with trains and everything. They're HUGE and are one of the top party schools in the country. The school is extremely liberal and pro gay/lesbian for the most part. 6th street in Austin has been known to be one of the top party spots in the world. The weather is nice, their football program brings in close to double what NU's does, their facilities are just as good if not better, their stadium seats more people and has a bigger score board, they are in the top 5 year in and year out. These kids can go there and be within 4 hours from home from almost any urban city in Texas and they grow up into the Longhorns like Nebraska kids are into the cornhuskers.

When UT offers a Texas kid... it is almost impossible to pull that kid out of state to NU. Some kids go to OU because of its proximity to Texas and still prestigious program...but good luck pulling them all the way to NU. And I say all this as a Strong NU fan. I'm sick of UT and have had to live in Texas my whole life putting up with their crap and their fans..ugh.

#1 Just because I didn't post in this post a number out of 2400 doesn't mean I didn't know that there was a possible 2400 score.

#2 I am from Texas, applied to UT for college and know for a fact kchusker chris that UT does not figure the 800 point writing school into the score they look at for acceptance. In fact neither does Texas A&M, Texas Tech, or most of the other major schools in Texas. These schools throw out the writing score when determining entrance into their universities and only look at the other two sections. Thus eliminating kids who make great writing scores but average reading and math scores...

#3 The statistics I posted are accurate... I have several friends who attend this university, graduated from a high school in Texas and did a ton of research when looking at colleges... so it doesn't matter how well the individual trying to get into the univeristy does on the writing portion of the SAT, because it is not looked at... the school examines the student's score out of a 1600 (reading and math) or the student has the choice of taking the ACT instead if they do not score well on the 2/3 part of the SAT.

Few things:

I'm not sure the SAT will get beyond the "1600" association for a long while. Even now referring to scores out of 1600 is perfectly reasonable; you just need to clarify now which score you are referring to. This is both because the writing section is really new - it was first put in place for the high school graduating class of 2006 - and because the writing test existed before anyway, just as a separate "SAT Subject Test: Writing". That one-hour exam was often required by many schools anyway. So while the SAT has three sections now, and there's the addition of the essay, I feel that it's always going to be looked at as "SAT+Writing." Same for the scores.

Also teachercd, I'm not too familiar with Northwestern, but I'd put Michigan at least on par, as it is an exceptional public university, and actually elite in the engineering dept. Nebraska being in the Big 10 sounds like a good deal for the school though, but only because it seems the Big 10 structure provides some nice intraconference resources (there was an article on this a while back). This seems atypical of athletic conferences but maybe I'm wrong. For instance, the Pac 10 has some really good schools (Stanford, Cal, UCLA, USC) but association doesn't confer any athletic advantage. The Big 10 seems unusual in this regard, but it's hard for me to say how much of a difference since I'm not well acquainted with the details.

Lastly I agree with you that this kid sounds real solid to Stanford, and sounds like he'll really have no problem making it in, which sort of makes all of this moot. But good for the kid - that's a really, really good deal. Talk about a world class education, if he takes advantage of it.