DT Kenny Mack

Nexus

So if we get Kenny Mack and Kevin Williams that gives us two DT's for next year. How many do you think we will take with Crick, Steinkuhler, Moore, Rome, Guy, etc. coming back? We don't lose anyone of any significance on the field. I would imagine we only take 2. Question is... if we have a bunch of DT's wanting to play for NU, which 2 do we take? Are Kevin Williams and Kenny mack the best 2 that are going to come knocking on our door? What if a :star :star :star :star :star starts knocking on our door?

Good point and question, but I think this was approached this year with Owa. We had plenty of DE's, but because he was looked at to be a game changer, we kept our doors open. I would think that it would be open, depending on the player. If he's a good fit, meshes well, etc.

If we can get Williams to commit early I dont know if we will still be looking. I think he is the real deal, hence why he was offered so early.

After reviewing the top DT's, I think you're right. The top guy on Scout is Jernigan and he's not going to come here. So, after that, the top targets are all about where Williams is at, if not lower than him. However, if Jernigan or a top DT at the position came to Bo and said he'd genuinely like to play for him, do you think Bo would close the door with Williams and Mack on board?

Since a class of no less than 25-ish is anticipated I would say no. If we only had 20 spots open it would be different.

Okay so then here's another question...

Yes we have 25 spots. But we have so much quality athletic depth on the d-line right now, shouldn't we take that scholarship and use it for as low as a 3star offensive lineman instead? I mean we lose 4 of them next year... we don't lose any D'Linemen. And offensive line was our weakness last year. There is a good chance we will be getting Tyler Moore, Ryne Reeves, and Dylan Admire (who has us high and was blown away on his visit) I think we get those 3 for sure. I know Derek Farniok really wants to play for NU, but has not yet received an offer... the kid is huge though... 6'9" 320. And Jacob Welter is a huge NU fan, he is specifically working hard out in Cali hoping to get an NU offer. He's 6'5" 280 and is said to be getting a lot of DI looks lately. So there's 2 kids with the size to come to NU and passion to come to NU... they are a sure get if NU offers them. I think we will end up losing Garrett Greenlea and Christian Westerman to UT... but with the offers we have out now, we have a guaranteed 5 guys we could get if we wanted all of them. It's only February. That says a lot!!

So if we get Kenny Mack and Kevin Williams that gives us two DT's for next year. How many do you think we will take with Crick, Steinkuhler, Moore, Rome, Guy, etc. coming back? We don't lose anyone of any significance on the field. I would imagine we only take 2. Question is... if we have a bunch of DT's wanting to play for NU, which 2 do we take? Are Kevin Williams and Kenny mack the best 2 that are going to come knocking on our door? What if a :star :star :star :star :star starts knocking on our door?

Good point and question, but I think this was approached this year with Owa. We had plenty of DE's, but because he was looked at to be a game changer, we kept our doors open. I would think that it would be open, depending on the player. If he's a good fit, meshes well, etc.

If we can get Williams to commit early I dont know if we will still be looking. I think he is the real deal, hence why he was offered so early.

After reviewing the top DT's, I think you're right. The top guy on Scout is Jernigan and he's not going to come here. So, after that, the top targets are all about where Williams is at, if not lower than him. However, if Jernigan or a top DT at the position came to Bo and said he'd genuinely like to play for him, do you think Bo would close the door with Williams and Mack on board?

Since a class of no less than 25-ish is anticipated I would say no. If we only had 20 spots open it would be different.

Yes we have 25 spots. But we have so much quality athletic depth on the d-line right now, shouldn't we take that scholarship and use it for as low as a 3star offensive lineman instead?

I understand what you are saying. But I am going to tell you no. If Williams and Mack both want N you take them. Williams is too good not to take.

Yes we have 25 spots. But we have so much quality athletic depth on the d-line right now, shouldn't we take that scholarship and use it for as low as a 3star offensive lineman instead? I mean we lose 4 of them next year... we don't lose any D'Linemen.

DT is such a hard to recruit and important position that I would take three good ones if they are available. even though we've got some young talent there, we really only got two sure fire DT's in the last class (though a couple of other guys could conceivably play there also). there's always the possibility of getting versatile linemen that might be able to play offense as well.

i agree that OL is a huge need this year, i just wouldn't skimp on DT's just to address it. take one less WR or DE if you need to.

Yes we have 25 spots. But we have so much quality athletic depth on the d-line right now, shouldn't we take that scholarship and use it for as low as a 3star offensive lineman instead?

I understand what you are saying. But I am going to tell you no. If Williams and Mack both want N you take them. Williams is too good not to take.

:yeah To add to what Dylan said, I think the coaches would have taken Mack (regardless as to what happened to this class) just to add depth. This coaching staff seems to want to build from the inside out, which is a good direction to take.

Yes we have 25 spots. But we have so much quality athletic depth on the d-line right now, shouldn't we take that scholarship and use it for as low as a 3star offensive lineman instead? I mean we lose 4 of them next year... we don't lose any D'Linemen. And offensive line was our weakness last year. There is a good chance we will be getting Tyler Moore, Ryne Reeves, and Dylan Admire (who has us high and was blown away on his visit) I think we get those 3 for sure. I know Derek Farniok really wants to play for NU, but has not yet received an offer... the kid is huge though... 6'9" 320. And Jacob Welter is a huge NU fan, he is specifically working hard out in Cali hoping to get an NU offer. He's 6'5" 280 and is said to be getting a lot of DI looks lately. So there's 2 kids with the size to come to NU and passion to come to NU... they are a sure get if NU offers them. I think we will end up losing Garrett Greenlea and Christian Westerman to UT... but with the offers we have out now, we have a guaranteed 5 guys we could get if we wanted all of them. It's only February. That says a lot!!

Our recruiting to replace the 4 we lose after this year is done. It was done in the 2009 and 2010 class. Very rarely does a freshman have an imediate impact - especially on the lines, so what we will be recruiting for the 11 class will be projected 2-3 years out. In this years class we need to be thinking about replacing Caputo (Reeves), Hardrick (Moore), M. Jones. Our Current sophmore class has no real contributers yet. The RFr. class has QVale and Sirles that should be contributing this year. A-Rod and Moudy will fit into this as well. Depth on the offensive line is imporant, but we are past worrying about the 4 we lose this year and we have a lot of quality OL that have been in the program for a year or more. With that sophmore class being small on OL, it means this class doesn't have to be that big. I say we stick with 3-4, unless a difference maker (westerman) wants on board.

Anyone know how quick Farniok is? IMHO, as our offense migrates towards a more run based attack with QB's who will be moving outside of the pocket - we'll be looking for quicker, more mobile offensive linemen. The days of parking a fat-a$$ at guard to pass block in his 3 foot radius is over, and Farnoik is huge. Dobson could probably get him down to 310 lean him out a bit though.

As for DT. We'll be losing Stein, Moore, & Crick when this class comes in. In their place will be Guy & Rome, but after that there isn't much else in-waiting at DT. Some of the other guys like Pensick & Randle are kind of small. We are definately stocked at DE, so maybe someone will move inside? You've got to assume some of our DT recruits will be busts, so it looks to me like we actually might be a little thin at DT.

Regardless, always take a difference maker. I don't care what position it is, if they can have an impact Pelini will make room. He'll fill the spots we have needs at, and if a couple of stars want to join us then we find a way to fit em in.

• Fire 1

Our recruiting to replace the 4 we lose after this year is done. It was done in the 2009 and 2010 class. Very rarely does a freshman have an imediate impact - especially on the lines, so what we will be recruiting for the 11 class will be projected 2-3 years out. In this years class we need to be thinking about replacing Caputo (Reeves), Hardrick (Moore), M. Jones. Our Current sophmore class has no real contributers yet. The RFr. class has QVale and Sirles that should be contributing this year. A-Rod and Moudy will fit into this as well. Depth on the offensive line is imporant, but we are past worrying about the 4 we lose this year and we have a lot of quality OL that have been in the program for a year or more. With that sophmore class being small on OL, it means this class doesn't have to be that big. I say we stick with 3-4, unless a difference maker (westerman) wants on board.

Anyone know how quick Farniok is? IMHO, as our offense migrates towards a more run based attack with QB's who will be moving outside of the pocket - we'll be looking for quicker, more mobile offensive linemen. The days of parking a fat-a$ at guard to pass block in his 3 foot radius is over, and Farnoik is huge. Dobson could probably get him down to 310 lean him out a bit though.

As for DT. We'll be losing Stein, Moore, & Crick when this class comes in. In their place will be Guy & Rome, but after that there isn't much else in-waiting at DT. Some of the other guys like Pensick & Randle are kind of small. We are definately stocked at DE, so maybe someone will move inside? You've got to assume some of our DT recruits will be busts, so it looks to me like we actually might be a little thin at DT.

Regardless, always take a difference maker. I don't care what position it is, if they can have an impact Pelini will make room. He'll fill the spots we have needs at, and if a couple of stars want to join us then we find a way to fit em in.

Just wanted to point out that when the 2011 class comes in, Steinkuhler will be a RS Jr. and Moore with be a RS Sr. But you're correct that Crick will be gone by then. Pensick is being moved to the OL at the Center position for depth.

Anyone know how quick Farniok is? IMHO, as our offense migrates towards a more run based attack with QB's who will be moving outside of the pocket - we'll be looking for quicker, more mobile offensive linemen. The days of parking a fat-a$ at guard to pass block in his 3 foot radius is over, and Farnoik is huge. Dobson could probably get him down to 310 lean him out a bit though.

Just wanted to point out that when the 2011 class comes in, Steinkuhler will be a RS Jr. and Moore with be a RS Sr. But you're correct that Crick will be gone by then. Pensick is being moved to the OL at the Center position for depth.

Thanks, Nexus - should have clarified. Steinkuhler will be gone by the time the 2011 class is to the point that they are contributing.

Thanks, Nexus - should have clarified. Steinkuhler will be gone by the time the 2011 class is to the point that they are contributing.

Oh, okay. :thumbs

Anyone know how quick Farniok is? IMHO, as our offense migrates towards a more run based attack with QB's who will be moving outside of the pocket - we'll be looking for quicker, more mobile offensive linemen. The days of parking a fat-a$$ at guard to pass block in his 3 foot radius is over, and Farnoik is huge. Dobson could probably get him down to 310 lean him out a bit though.

4 OL in the class would be OK, but i think we need 5. we got only two freshmen OL this year, that is not enough. we need to be getting 4 most years to keep us stocked with quality depth. it seems to be the hardest position to accurately predict success and one that requires a few years on campus before most kids are ready to play at a high level.

also, i expect good things from randle at DT. i expect to see him on the field this year, on passing downs if nothing else.

• 3 months later...