Huskers in your family

mitch7

Well it is that time of the year where good topics are in short supply, but I think I got a topic that might give a little umphhhh to the board. The is Superbowl is just around the corner and I will be watching my 3rd cousin Scott Shanle play for the Saints. Sure he may not know me, but I certainly know who he is. Along with Scott and Andrew Shanle I am also related to Cory Schlesinger. Sure all three of these guys are fairly distant cousins, but they are relation. So I was wondering.....what present/former Huskers are all of you related to, or at least know personally?

Adrian Fiala Sr and my Dad were cousins. That is what started my love for Husker football! We attended Adrian's wedding, where I got tons of autographs from the other players. It would have been around 1969 I think. I'm sure going to miss hearing Adrian do the color commentating on Saturdays!

I also have met and talked to some players. I met Jerry Tagge at HuskerNation a few years ago. He was very nice and we took several pictures and got autographs. I had a huge crush on him in high school and had his picture on my notebook. I know...."girly"!

We partied with Tommie Frazier and Johnny Rodgers at a New Year's Eve party before the Gator Bowl. They also were lots of fun and we got pictures and autographs with them as well.

Dave Rimington was a year behind me in school at Omaha South High, so I remember watching him play during the early 70's.

my cousin was on the swim team in the late 80's...but most noteable: i graduated from southeast high in 02' and know barrett and bo ruud pretty well. played with these former husker baseball players, grew up and played baseball in little league and high school with alex gordon, played pony league, high school, and junior college with jeff christy.

Adrian Fiala Sr and my Dad were cousins. That is what started my love for Husker football! We attended Adrian's wedding, where I got tons of autographs from the other players. It would have been around 1969 I think. I'm sure going to miss hearing Adrian do the color commentating on Saturdays!

I also have met and talked to some players. I met Jerry Tagge at HuskerNation a few years ago. He was very nice and we took several pictures and got autographs. I had a huge crush on him in high school and had his picture on my notebook. I know...."girly"!

We partied with Tommie Frazier and Johnny Rodgers at a New Year's Eve party before the Gator Bowl. They also were lots of fun and we got pictures and autographs with them as well.

Dave Rimington was a year behind me in school at Omaha South High, so I remember watching him play during the early 70's.

Me too. He's always been my favorite.

My fiancee's first cousin TJ Scribner played at Nebraska as a TE from 93'-94' and has a National Championship ring but ended up transfering to Kearney after the 94' because of a knee injury.

My future Mother in Law, her best friend used to work for the University and she was in charge of making sure that all of the rooms have been reserved for away and bowl games and was in charge for the food arrangements that were provided on away games. She also has a copy of the Nebraskas Defensive Playbook that she has shown me and I got to open it to drool all over it.

When I was a senior at South Sioux City, we had to play against #1 Elkhorn for our last game of the regular season and SSC was ranked #2 and both teams were undefeated. I was won of the three captains and got to shake Jay Moores hand since he was one of Elkhorns captains. Jay Moore didn't get to play because he injuried his knee earlier in the season.

My father got to referee Kyle Vanden Bosch when he played for West Lyons. Kyle played both sides of the ball and when Nebraska was scouting him out he came out of the game to place his shoulder back into the socket after dislocating it and then reentered the following play. When he was on offense I knew he played fullback because my dad as an amazing story of Kyle when he was carring the football. My dad also refereed Matt Herian when he played Basketball for Pierce. My father told both these athletes that he'll enjoy watching these two for the next 4-5 years since he has season tickets.

During the 08' High School Football season both my dad and I got to referee Sioux City Heelans stud running back Brandon Wegher twice once in the regular season and the other in a playoff game. I know he plays for Iowa now but we were recruiting him for Nebraska. After the playoff game I wished him luck at Iowa.

My cousin (Actually the Son of my Dad's cousin) was a year ahead of me @ Holdrege, Walked on at UNL and started at Split End for 3 seasons, was drafted by Detroit in the 7th? rd but opted for the CFL where he was later reunited with Turner Gill when they both played for Montreal. I think he still holds the Nebraska HS record for the Triple jump at over 50'.

The Sophomore that almost cost me a starting job at OLB/DE my Sr. year also walked on? and started at UNL for three seasons, was drafted by Dallas but played only a couple of seasons, Came back to be the Husker's team surgeon last I heard.

I still have clete-marks on my back where Jay Novacek ran me over on a QB keeper (wishbone) on a 45yd gain on the last game my Dad almost got thrown out of.

My Nephew (A lifelong Mesa resident but UNL fan) was all set to walk-on at UNL after attending a couple of Summer camps, but Callihan showed up and all but cut the program.

I also recently found out I have a distant? cousin playing for the Minnesota Vikings and made the Pro Bowl on Special teams this year...I didn't even know the Pro Bowl had a separate special teams.

I'm also related to some pro rassler named Sting?..Wish I could sing like him.

My brother in law got a greyshirt offer from Nebraska a few years ago. I filmed all of his games at Millard West and made him a nice long highlight tape of his senior year. He was a part of the 2006 class. He lasted about a year and a half before he quit... we were all pretty upset.