Time for Trev?

I know there are people who are going to come down hard on me, but put aside your rose-colored glasses for a minute (I know, I know. It's hard for me to do, too).

Everyone knows the talk is out there about the Big XII losing teams to other conferences. We can argue all day and night about how bad this hurts NU, but the bottom line is it will certainly not help NU and will almost certainly hurt it, we just don't know to what degree. My point here is not to discuss that, it can be done on other posts. I want to talk about the leadership NU needs amidst these changes.

Tom has been great for NU and he has played a huge part in getting football back while maintaining great teams/coaches in other sports (insert men's basketball comment here) and all of Nebraska loves and respects him. However, at the risk of getting run out of the state, I'm going to suggest that we need a different kind of representative now.

In the midst of such a great conference shake up, NU needs to take a stand and make sure they don't get screwed in the deal. Tom is a well respected man - as he should be - but I'm not so sure he gets that same respect when he's at the round table with other ADs. Sure his calming, authoritative presence and his experience/wisdom is great to have, but right now I believe NU needs a representative that is more aggressive. Enter Trev Alberts. Trev will have the same guiding values that Tom has, which is something Nebraskans like their leaders to have. But I believe he will bring a more cut-throat approach. I'm not saying Tom gets pushed around, but Trev would have more of businessman approach that I think would better serve NU and the conference as we enter some unsure times.

Tom was the right man for the job when he came in, but now that there is stability back at Nebraska, I think he can leave. I know people have said he will stay to see the new arena thing through, but I say as soon as we know what is going to happen with the arena he can step down. Trev has gained some experience (altho not much, it's still experience) and I really believe he will bring the kind of approach that we are going to need.

Just wanted to know if anyone agrees or if I'm crazy

Tom Osborne was a US Congressman...Trev Alberts was an ESPN stooge. That pretty much sums it up for me, as far as who would have the better skill set to navigate the backroom dealings and be heard in discussions.

And this. No way Trev could command more respect than Dr. Tom.

Tom Osborne was a US Congressman...Trev Alberts was an ESPN stooge. That pretty much sums it up for me, as far as who would have the better skill set to navigate the backroom dealings and be heard in discussions.

I'm not saying you're wrong, cause you make an excellent point. But in fairness, would Tom have been a US Congressman if he hadn't just won three national titles? You can't say without a doubt that he would have been. But you are right, point taken.

I'm not saying you're wrong, cause you make an excellent point. But in fairness, would Tom have been a US Congressman if he hadn't just won three national titles? You can't say without a doubt that he would have been. But you are right, point taken.

I almost get the sense that Tom's calm, authoritative demeanor, makes some think he's incapable of taking charge when things must get, I dont know, nasty maybe. Which I find ridiculous. The man has been at the top of everything he's done in his life, starting with being the NE male high school athlete of the year. Who knows if he wouldnt have been president if he wouldnt have been a football coach for so many years. He hates losing, regardless of venue, just as much as the pitbull type some think you have to have to get things done. I think it gives him an edge, if you will, this supposed softness. Tom will get done for Nebraska what needs to be done. Dont think for one second that because he says in interviews that he hasnt really thought about league moves, that in reality his 'not really' would be vast golden nuggets of inside scoop to the rest of us. His return to the program and quick righting of the ship only continues to prove that you do not eff with Tom, or Tom's babies, no matter how nice a guy he may seem.

For one, Trev was not an ESPN stooge. He didnt fit in there, hence he's not there anymore. Trev Alberts is going to be the next athletic director at UNL, beins he's already in training at UNO for the position. Tom has had a great impact and he surely feels this is his last gasp at great accomplishments, seeing thru that the football programs is back at the top, and to see thru the new basketball arena project and then he will step down on his own terms. As far as teams leaving the Big 12, i just dont think any of that is going to happen.

I love Trev, but he was the classic ESPN stooge. He tried to play both sides of the ESPN fence (company line one week, staunch opposite viewpoint the next) and got outplayed and backroom maneuvered by Mark May, of all people.

Trev Alberts is young AD and woefully inexperienced. He very well may be the next NU athletic director. If (and when) conferences start imploding and mashing up, like it or not, Nebraska will be affected and damn well better have some plans or a man in place to keep the University in the best position possible. It doesnt have to be just us leaving the conference, but any team defecting from the BIG 12 will have an impact on the leagues bottom line and integrity if a great solution isnt found. Even teams like Texas posturing and preening themselves to other leagues is an issue that I feel more comfortable being mitigated by Dr. Tom than Trev. Im sorry, but right now and the foreseeable next few years, if not decade, that man isnt Trev Alberts.

There is absolutely nobody in the country that I'd rather have as AD then Osborne if anything gets shaken up.

I agree with the post about his demeanor. I wouldn't underestimate the man and his ability to deal with the inter-conference politics. I also wouldn't underestimate his ability to be aggressive should the time call for it. He's just not going to lose his head over internet rumors and things beyond his control. While he might not be going all Jeremy Piven in entourage to the rest of the big 12 over rumors, you can bet that he knows what moves he would need to make for the good of the university should anything come to pass.

Edit: starting with the “We haven’t entered into any formal talks with anybody right now. We’re focusing on the Big 12. But I don’t think that means if somebody wanted to pick up the phone and call us, that we’d hang up on them. You listen. But we don’t have any plans to do anything different at this point.

“We’ll have to see what the landscape is six months, a year, from now. If we start losing schools, it could change the whole dynamic of the Big 12 Conference.”

That was a move to tell Texas to back the hell up after they released their own big 10 rumors last week. Texas isn't going anywhere, they already run the show, plus they'd have to take their ball and chain with them (A&M). So that was purely posturing by them to try and throw CU/MU/NU etc. some reality check about their place in the conference.

Looks to me like Osborne was saying to them you aren't the only big money player in this conference and if you think you are going to run it to the ground then ditch out SWC style or treat everyone like second class citizens you got another thing coming. But that's just my interpretation.

Edited by redblooded