ILB Kent Turene

Nexus

:yeah

How many LB are we taking this year?

Need to get him in for a game.

I was wondering the exact same thing, when are we gonna start seeing some LB we've been looking to get start making a move I mean season's already over halfway over and not a lot to show recruiting wise from LB, and obviously DL could use some work too.

we've got one true LB in santos and are obviously still trying to get another. i'd be surprised if we took three, though i wouldn't mind considering we only took one last year, and a juco at that.

I don't think that we will get much more than Santos if anything as far as LB. Moving to the Big 10 is going to effect how we recruit as well. We have to move away from smaller speedier LBs (David) and onto more physical LBs. We don't have many of those this year available. With the pick up of AG, I think we need to move Ward and Okafor to LBs anyways. They wont be seeing the field at the position they are at.

:yeah

How many LB are we taking this year?

Need to get him in for a game.

With Kent included, there are only about 3 we are recruiting.

Keith Lewis

Keeon Virgile

Kent Turene

No More Moody from Fort Scott CC?

He wants to head back down South the last I heard.

Based on numbers we take it seems we look for more jucos at lb than elsewhere. I know we may get a guy like Turene and not have a juco this year, but going after Moody for one of two spots just a year after taking only one lb ... a juco, seems odd. Does Bo need jucos at the position because of who we currently have? I'd love to get more h.s. kids and have more development time, but obviously if we need a juco we need one. Any thoughts from experts?

I believe we are also recruiting Poole out of Ohio aren't we?

We have talked with Poole but we haven't offered him yet...

As of right now he has some other schools he likes more than us.

Our top guys we want are (in no particular order)

Kent Turene

Keith Lewis

Keenon Virgile

Dexter Moody

Kent has USC at the top... they are the clear front runner, but he is still talking to Nebraska because our coaches are telling him we need him and he has a chance to play early and often.

Keith has a good relationship with Tim Beck, but that's pretty much all we know about him at this point. My guess is he stays in the SEC or in Florida.

Keenon Virgile likes us, but is not blown away by us... he likes what he knows, Florida, Bama, Auburn... the top SEC schools that every kid in florida wants to go to.

Dexter wants to go south... but so did Yoshi and Lavonte and both came to NU at the last minute. He could go our way if he doesn't get offers from bigger schools down there.

We could get any of these 4 guys. Kent Turene is probably gonna be the hardest to get though. My guess is we'll end up getting one of the four. Coaches only wanna take 2 LB this year unless a blue chipper comes along which none currently have us on their boards.

I don't think that we will get much more than Santos if anything as far as LB. Moving to the Big 10 is going to effect how we recruit as well. We have to move away from smaller speedier LBs (David) and onto more physical LBs. We don't have many of those this year available. With the pick up of AG, I think we need to move Ward and Okafor to LBs anyways. They wont be seeing the field at the position they are at.

i don't think our defense will change substantially based upon the league switch, so long as we keep getting/developing the type of players that make it work.

i don't think our defense will change substantially based upon the league switch, so long as we keep getting/developing the type of players that make it work.

I bet we will still see a lot of the peso in the Big X+II honestly. Other than the Buckeyes, Wisky and Michigan St. the rest of the teams primarily run some sort of variation of the spread offense. Hell Purdue's coach came out and said earlier this year that they are emulating Nebraska's offensive style since Marve got hurt. Illinois is in the same boat with Scheelhouse, who could become a stud, and we all know what Michigan will do with ShoeLaces.

I bet we will still see a lot of the peso in the Big X+II honestly. Other than the Buckeyes, Wisky and Michigan St. the rest of the teams primarily run some sort of variation of the spread offense. Hell Purdue's coach came out and said earlier this year that they are emulating Nebraska's offensive style since Marve got hurt. Illinois is in the same boat with Scheelhouse, who could become a stud, and we all know what Michigan will do with ShoeLaces.

I agree that most of the big 10 runs the spread, and see OSU running a spread about 50% of the time. Wisc, MSU, and Iowa dont run spread offenses. Also the Big 10 runs the spread with more emphasis on running out of the spread. Any way its besides the point. The peso is basically running the nickel as a base D, and the only reason to do this is because Eric Hagg is too good to sit. I think the peso will go away when NU has a OLB who is better than their nickel back.

I think the peso will go away when NU has a OLB who is better than their nickel back.

i may just be a distinction in terminology, but the peso back basically IS an OLB. pelini just prefers that this "OLB" have high coverage ability. i don't see us going away from that.

as an example, if next year we have three "true" LBs playing at a higher level than any of the people slated for peso (cassidy, green, jackson, etc.), i could see them moving lavonte to peso as he seems to have the level of coverage ability required. however, i don't see us ever again playing three "true" LBs without at least one of the OLBs (the peso) excelling in coverage. similarly, i don't see us ever playing a "nickel back" as the peso that can't be an effective tackler at the line of scrimmage.

the skill sets of hagg and gomes are of course why this works, but (good as they are) i don't think that these two are such unique athletes that we'll be unable to effectively fill the position in future years. like i mentioned, i think lavonte could do it next year if needed (assuming some combination of compton, whaley and martin progress enough to handle the other two LB spots). we'll have to see if this holds true going forward.

I would really like to get Turene. He could be a really good player for us. Was watching USC vs. Oregon tonight and the luster is off at USC...lots of the crowd left before game was over. No bowl games 2 seasons in a row. They have some work to do and we are ahead of them. No one is talking about the defense at USC...unless it is about how far they have fallen off.

I would really like to get Turene. He could be a really good player for us. Was watching USC vs. Oregon tonight and the luster is off at USC...lots of the crowd left before game was over. No bowl games 2 seasons in a row. They have some work to do and we are ahead of them. No one is talking about the defense at USC...unless it is about how far they have fallen off.

I would agree...however some fights aren't just against football. I think this is a case of Lincoln vs. Los Angeles. Not a very commonly won fight.

• 4 weeks later...