Give to me straight boys-

It's time to switch my attention to baseball. With last year's fb season and reading up on my beloved Dodgers these past few months, I have had little time to catch up on NU baseball during their offseason. I have read a couple of articles by journalist, but I really want some boardmember's opinion. So what do all think? I am assumming that Cooper is just sticking to fb(I might be wrong), and why does it seem that DJ Belfonte is in his sixth year with the Huskers? What are our stregnths and weaknesses?

Strength: Offense

Weakness: Pitching, however some of the freshmen do seem promising and better than average. This could become a strenght by mid-season.

:koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2:

Let's hope we can get the weekend starts and a strong ace solidified early in the season. In an article today Anderson said "We will hopefully have the weekend starters by the time Texas comes around."

Why would you assume that Cooper is sticking to football? Baseball is his STRENGTH. He has upside on the football field, but as far as talent goes he's much better on the diamond. He's on the roster, I'll assume he'll be playing. The strength has to be returning the front part of the line-up. Pitching was a weakness last year, but we return much of it, and despite some early injuries we should be able to pan out okay there.

Why would you assume that Cooper is sticking to football? Baseball is his STRENGTH. He has upside on the football field, but as far as talent goes he's much better on the diamond. He's on the roster, I'll assume he'll be playing. The strength has to be returning the front part of the line-up. Pitching was a weakness last year, but we return much of it, and despite some early injuries we should be able to pan out okay there.

because he was way behind last fall. Had he had spring ball, he would have contended much earlier. If baseball is his sport of choice, why didn't he take a baseball scholly and also play football? He started four games last fall, but I don't think he made a hugh impact. I felt bad for him last spring. He chose us over Arkansas, and then the baseball team didn't even make the b12 tournament.

because he was way behind last fall. Had he had spring ball, he would have contended much earlier. If baseball is his sport of choice, why didn't he take a baseball scholly and also play football?

Because the baseball team gets something like 11 scholarships for 35 players, and nobody gets a full ride. Thanks NCAA.

Yea that is ridiculous...stupid NCAA

because he was way behind last fall. Had he had spring ball, he would have contended much earlier. If baseball is his sport of choice, why didn't he take a baseball scholly and also play football? He started four games last fall, but I don't think he made a hugh impact. I felt bad for him last spring. He chose us over Arkansas, and then the baseball team didn't even make the b12 tournament.

Because he has to scholarship from football, no choice there. NCAA rules. Also, you do realize that the kid is a 5th round draft pick in baseball? And you realize how substantial that is? He will play baseball and football. He came here to do that and without that opportunity, he wouldn't be here. Also, plain and simple, its tough to go from high school ball to college ball in a matter of 9 months. There is a reason that kids don't usually have huge success as freshman regardless the sport. There is a learning curve. With football, even bigger. Our offense was terrible, one receiver wasn't going to make a difference on his own.

Make sure you know something about the kid before making bold statements like that. Thatd be like saying if carl crawford would of come here, he should of given up baseball for football, because he's on scholly. That is the kind of baseball talent we are talking here.

Because he has to scholarship from football, no choice there. NCAA rules. Also, you do realize that the kid is a 5th round draft pick in baseball? And you realize how substantial that is? He will play baseball and football. He came here to do that and without that opportunity, he wouldn't be here. Also, plain and simple, its tough to go from high school ball to college ball in a matter of 9 months. There is a reason that kids don't usually have huge success as freshman regardless the sport. There is a learning curve. With football, even bigger. Our offense was terrible, one receiver wasn't going to make a difference on his own.

Make sure you know something about the kid before making bold statements like that. Thatd be like saying if carl crawford would of come here, he should of given up baseball for football, because he's on scholly. That is the kind of baseball talent we are talking here.

Playing WR on a football team is alot different then let's say being a punter. I do know what kind of athlete get's drafted in the 5th round. My point is if he's not going to a high quality WR, he's wasting space and not doing himself any justice. He missed fall ball for baseball and spring ball for football. How's he going to get any better at either?

You certain seem to have a short fuse. You can insult me all you want, but I believe my points are valid and I would like a friendly discussion.

Playing WR on a football team is alot different then let's say being a punter. I do know what kind of athlete get's drafted in the 5th round. My point is if he's not going to a high quality WR, he's wasting space and not doing himself any justice. He missed fall ball for baseball and spring ball for football. How's he going to get any better at either?

You certain seem to have a short fuse. You can insult me all you want, but I believe my points are valid and I would like a friendly discussion.

How am I insulting you by giving you the truth? You jumped to a false conclusion that cooper would be sticking to football. No one ever brought erstad into the conversation, no reason to do so, since being a punter is different. Its hard to say your points are valid when you bring up 2 things that aren't true/possible as your points.

:snacks:

How am I insulting you by giving you the truth? You jumped to a false conclusion that cooper would be sticking to football. No one ever brought erstad into the conversation, no reason to do so, since being a punter is different. Its hard to say your points are valid when you bring up 2 things that aren't true/possible as your points.

:snacks:

C Thatd be like saying if carl crawford would of come here, he should of given up baseball for football, because he's on scholly. That is the kind of baseball talent we are talking here.

I started a discussion. You brought up some valid points, for which I appreciate. Your comment of"Make sure you know something about the kid before you say something about him" is immflamatory. The only think I said was I didn't thing he was not going to play baseball- and I was wrong. I have seen you take this kind of tone in other posts and I wonder what you get out of it. Condescending and uncalled for. And i think it is valid to discuss whether Cooper should dedicate his career to one sport or another. He taking a football scholorship to play his best sport(as you call it) baseball. I know he was a 5th round draft pick, but he was a fine high football player as well. I hope he does well in baseball. Afterall, it benefits all of us.

Not meaning to come off as condescending to you, to me it just sounded like you were trying to say you knew something that everyone else didn't. That's why I said it like that, I apologize. As far as coming off with that "tone" before, when? Other than when people were calling for Anderson's head last year without knowing more than the record of the baseball team, I've failed to see it. Enlighten me please. As far as Cooper is concerned, I really think the kid will make an impact further down the road this year. While he is on football scholarship, he is a freak of an athlete, and will still be conditioned and all for fall workouts. It's not like he's just sitting out spring ball (or fall ball for baseball) for nothing. Sure he doesn't get the time with teammates or with the playbook working on sport specific skills, but he still is competing at a division I level and staying it great shape. I don't think it hurts him too much.