Player: Quincy Russell

Hometown: San Antonio, TX

School: Sam Houston HS

Position: DT

Height: 6'3"

Weight: 280 lbs

40 time:

Visit Date:

Scholarships offered: Arizona, Nebraska, Baylor, Mississippi St., Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech

Committed to Texas

Rivals: :star :star :star :star (#7)

Scout: :star :star :star :star (#7)

ESPN: :star :star :star :star (#22)

**NOTE: Click on ESPN link above to watch highlights.**

40 time:

Visit Date:

Scholarships offered: Nebraska, Baylor, Mississippi St., Oklahoma, Texas, Texas Tech

Rivals:

Scout:

ESPN:

Says he has a genuine interest in Nebraska because of what they did with Suh. Looks like he is seriously considering us and recognizes Bo's defensive success.

40 time:

Visit Date:

Scholarships offered: Nebraska, Baylor, Mississippi St., Oklahoma, Texas, Texas Tech

Rivals:

Scout:

ESPN:

Says he has a genuine interest in Nebraska because of what they did with Suh. Looks like he is seriously considering us and recognizes Bo's defensive success.

This guy, this guy and this guy have said the same thing. It's called the "Suh-cruiting Effect". :bonez

He said he'll chose a school who has a good architectural engineering program and which team is heading in the right direction. He also wants to go to a place where his mother and grandmother can see him play and wants to go to a school where the coach has coached there more than one year. How is UNL's architectural engineering program?

Its funny how OU had a great DT in Gerald Mccoy and nobody is talking about him because Suh really was THAT good. Suh has helped our DL recruiting so much. We will not swing and miss on too many of the DL prospects that we really want.

He said he'll chose a school who has a good architectural engineering program and which team is heading in the right direction. He also wants to go to a place where his mother and grandmother can see him play and wants to go to a school where the coach has coached there more than one year. How is UNL's architectural engineering program?

The AE program is excellent here. Check the link for more info.

We are the University of NEBRASKA arent we? :)

We are the University of NEBRASKA arent we? :)

:thumbs

Of course.

Did I read that wrong or isn't it offered in Omaha, not Lincoln. I'm assuming it's in partnership with UNL so obviously he'd be fine - but traveling back and forth to Omaha between practice, meetings, film review, weights, etc might be a little overwhemling.

Did I read that wrong or isn't it offered in Omaha, not Lincoln. I'm assuming it's in partnership with UNL so obviously he'd be fine - but traveling back and forth to Omaha between practice, meetings, film review, weights, etc might be a little overwhemling.

His status as a scholarship student-athlete would be factored into this situation. His academic adviser would work it out for him.

His status as a scholarship student-athlete would be factored into this situation. His academic adviser would work it out for him.

His academic adviser couldn't exactly move the building, lighting and structure labs from Omaha to Lincoln though. This is one of those majors where you need to be on campus and in the labs a considerable amount of time. A lot of student athletes are given laptops to help with the schedule, but just the software alone on one of those AE computers probably runs in excess of 50k...and it more than likely wouldn't run on a laptop anyway. Just saying - it's a spectacular program - had plenty of friends at Peter Kiewit - but what makes it world class also makes it tough to replicate for the standard athlete on the go.

If he wants to go to Texas he better commit soon because their class is filling up fast. They are only going to take one more DT in this class and they have an offer out to this kid and two others. Texas will take the first one that commits.

His academic adviser couldn't exactly move the building, lighting and structure labs from Omaha to Lincoln though. This is one of those majors where you need to be on campus and in the labs a considerable amount of time. A lot of student athletes are given laptops to help with the schedule, but just the software alone on one of those AE computers probably runs in excess of 50k...and it more than likely wouldn't run on a laptop anyway. Just saying - it's a spectacular program - had plenty of friends at Peter Kiewit - but what makes it world class also makes it tough to replicate for the standard athlete on the go.

You are right that the software is 50k plus, but that is for a corporate license. For an individual student you are talking a 1 to 2 year license on the software to only be installed on one computer so more like $500. The makers of the software want students to have it because they will push it when they get jobs. Also it will run on laptops, I use a version of some of the software teaching at the Junior high level. In the past I have used the software at high schools and such. Despite all this I do agree it would be a tough major for an athlete because of its rigor, but that is the same anywhere not just at Nebraska. They will find a way to make the distance (lincoln to omaha) work, but it would be the general difficulty of the Major which would make it tough. At the same time we have athletes go through in Pre-Med, Organic Biology, and the like who do fine. It all depends on how much work he wants to put in.

You are right that the software is 50k plus, but that is for a corporate license. For an individual student you are talking a 1 to 2 year license on the software to only be installed on one computer so more like $500. The makers of the software want students to have it because they will push it when they get jobs. Also it will run on laptops, I use a version of some of the software teaching at the Junior high level. In the past I have used the software at high schools and such. Despite all this I do agree it would be a tough major for an athlete because of its rigor, but that is the same anywhere not just at Nebraska. They will find a way to make the distance (lincoln to omaha) work, but it would be the general difficulty of the Major which would make it tough. At the same time we have athletes go through in Pre-Med, Organic Biology, and the like who do fine. It all depends on how much work he wants to put in.

My daughter is a Regents Scholar in the PKI AE program. Gotta tell ya, this is one of THE best programs the country. UNL has some engineering, but PKI, the elite program, is in Omaha.

Hey moderators could you delete my thread on Quincy Russell, I didn't see this one had already been started.

Anyways,

This guy is going to fly up the rankings. Currently he isn't on any watch lists on Rivals, but seeing the offers he has it won't be long. He's from my neck of the woods and I'm willing to bet he's been under the radar due to the lack of success of his team. Sam Houston is an inner San Antonio school that is known for its athletes.

The guy plays both ways at 6'3 280 but projects to DT at the college level. Got an offer from the Huskers the other day and mentioned TCU and Miami as the other schools he likes. He did receive an offer from Texas at their junior day.

Smart kid, talks about majoring in architecture or engineering in college which could bode well for the Big Red Machine (don't you guys have a good engineering program). TCU should be in the mix for this guy as well (if Texas doesn't snatch him up first).

I'll keep an eye on this guy for ya'll and report back any new news.

Jamal Turner and Russell are on different teams correct? Both come from different Sam Houston HS's?

Yes, Turner is from Arlington Sam Houston and Russell is from San Antonio Sam Houston.

Does he have a confirmed ride to Lincoln for the spring game?

:dunno

Have they given any updates at HI about this? I know huskernation20 has him listed in the Spring Game Visitor thread. I suggested in that thread that he should contact Aaron Green to see if he's driving up so he could carpool with him since they're both in San Antonio.

Does he have a confirmed ride to Lincoln for the spring game?

:dunno

Have they given any updates at HI about this? I know huskernation20 has him listed in the Spring Game Visitor thread. I suggested in that thread that he should contact Aaron Green to see if he's driving up so he could carpool with him since they're both in San Antonio.

The last HI update said he was still looking. I'd love it if he joined Aaron Green....

"There's some schools like that that if the offer came I'd commit," Russell said. "Texas, probably Alabama, I know Miami sent me a letter and that would probably be an early commit for me, Nebraska has a good defensive line coach so that would probably be one too."

As a junior Russell was named First-Team All-District 27-3A and Second-Team All-Area on the football field, and is now working to help guide the Sam Houston basketball team on a deep run to a championship.

"The basketball season is going great right now," he said. "We're in district and we've got a big game coming up against Somerset and if we win that game we win district pretty much."

"There's some schools like that that if the offer came I'd commit," Russell said. "Texas, probably Alabama, I know Miami sent me a letter and that would probably be an early commit for me, Nebraska has a good defensive line coach so that would probably be one too."

that is a very strange quote on a couple of levels. glad to see us in such considered in good company though.

This kid said that he would commit to four different schools in that little part of an article.

This kid said that he would commit to four different schools in that little part of an article.

Yeah and not to mention how he says "if the offer came" - he's already got offers from 2 of the 4 schools he mentions (Texas and Neb)

...which makes you wonder about the accuracy of his offer list. given that they are usually based upon the word of the kid (or the kid's coaches or guardians), they are not always accurate, but it's odd to see the kid apparently contradict it. just another reason to always take these recruiting sites and their updates with a grain of salt. they rarely have all of the information.

He doesn't have favorites yet. Distance will play a factor into his decision as will education, coach experience, and who will prepare him for the NFL the best. His mother is sick and his family wants to watch him play which is why distance matters to him. He recently went to aTm for their junior day and liked it. He will be at Texas this weekend for a practice and Nebraska for the Spring Game - those are currently the only two visits he has scheduled. He likes how we attack with our front four and is excited to see a "game day like atmosphere."

Sounds like we are in good position right now. From my way outsiders perspective, it seems like a three horse race between Texas, aTm, and Nebraska.

Also, he hopes to have things narrowed down by mid-April (I like the timing of this quote) and a top 5 by the summer.

:thumbs

Thanks for the update.

Committed to Texas.... :hookerhorns

Interesting. Wonder if he'll still make it up for the Spring Game?

Committed to Texas.... :hookerhorns

Interesting. Wonder if he'll still make it up for the Spring Game?

Nope <_<

Its only April.....maybe after October 16th he'll switch over to the Huskers after leaving the dark side of Texas

Its only April.....maybe after October 16th he'll switch over to the Huskers after leaving the dark side of Texas

Geez I want us to win that game, more than any regular-season since the '01 OU game.

With Russell committing and Westerman not looking like he'll be there I hope we can talk some new guys into going to the Red-White game.

Decommits from Texas

Green said Russell could visit Nebraska, one of his favorites, as early as this weekend. Rivals.com lists Russell with nine scholarship offers, but Russell said he’s received 17, including Oklahoma, Alabama, Oklahoma State and Baylor.

His coach appears to be Aaron Greens uncle

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/Sam_Houston_DT_backs_out_on_UT.html

Decommits from Texas

Green said Russell could visit Nebraska, one of his favorites, as early as this weekend. Rivals.com lists Russell with nine scholarship offers, but Russell said he's received 17, including Oklahoma, Alabama, Oklahoma State and Baylor.

His coach appears to be Aaron Greens uncle

http://www.mysananto..._out_on_UT.html

Whoa! :o

Thanks for the update.

Thought it was interesting that Aaron Green's uncle Gary Green is Quincy Russell's coach. I remember reading somewhere awhile back that Gary Green played for Baylor back in the 70's and went on to the NFL as well. Aaron mentioned Gary in a video interview with Rivals during the Army All-American game back in January.

Sounds like Texas is playing high-pressure games with Russell and Green. I was glad to read that Russell took a step back and realized he hadn't made an informed decision.

Hopefully he takes a look at us and likes what he sees. Then when he committs it puts good pressure on the other D-line recruits and we pick up Williams and Chickilo. Plus like someone else said, maybe Green will say hey this kid coached by my uncle is going to NU and my bro is there, I'll just commit now!

:koolaid2::koolaid2::koolaid2::koolaid2::restore:w00t :w00t

Wouldn't that be awesome to pick up :star :star :star :star :star :star :star :star :star :star :star :star :star :star :star :star all at once!?!

Very interesting. Thanks for the update herbie. I almost wish he would wait for the spring game so he could visit with K Williams.....that way the can discuss just how much they are going to like playing at D-Line U for the next four years. :koolaid2:

Russell might have just screwed himself from playing at Texas. Which he might not mind if he comes up on 10/16!!!! :bonez