Kyler Reed

Nexus

i also believe he is being moved due to physicality, but for the opposite reason that most of you think. watching kyler last year showed me the dude is an athlete, but he was not physical enough to be a ron brown tight end. he gives great effort and is a player, but the guy wasn't a stellar blocker. he will be excellent blocking as a slot receiver, which is quite a bit different than blocking as a tight end.

• Fire 1

i also believe he is being moved due to physicality, but for the opposite reason that most of you think. watching kyler last year showed me the dude is an athlete, but he was not physical enough to be a ron brown tight end. he gives great effort and is a player, but the guy wasn't a stellar blocker. he will be excellent blocking as a slot receiver, which is quite a bit different than blocking as a tight end.

+1

Aren't the Rivals times based on 40 yard dashes when the player was in high school? If so, then there shouldn't be much merit. Most are hand held times taken on the track wearing sprinting spikes rather than electronic times while running in cleats on grass. Also, how many kids who are listed at 6'4, 250 pounds are actually that size even though their high school coach lists them at that size? In the end, I'm not sure it really matters. As long as he can catch the ball, hold onto the ball, and gain some yards; who really gives a rats behind whether he runs a 4.4 or a 4.6?

Nope. Rivals actually looks into the future and determines what their 40 times will be in college.

They might as well. My guess is that it would be as accurate if not more accurate than a coach standing on a track with a stopwatch. Most high school coaches want to see their players get to the next level. Therefore, it's been known to happen to see an embellishment or two with regards to size and speed.

so where do you think he fits in on the depth by seasons start? i'm assuming this means McNeill is at TE still. i'd say it goes like this..

WR- Niles & Kinnie... A. Bell and Reed... Cooper and Gilleylen

TE- McNeill... Harper... Young... Cotton

I'd put Cooper ahead of Bell at WR.

Speaking of Cooper...I wonder if being on the baseball team is bringing him down a little bit. Every practice can make a difference. Spring football is a chance to improve and he's missing it to play baseball. He's a great athlete, but I'm just wondering if it's stunting him at all. It would also be interesting to hear how the coaches feel about it. While they're evaluating players in the spring, he's not there because he's playing baseball.

I was going to say, watching him play for the limited amount of time he did, Reed is definitely not a physical player.

I was going to say, watching him play for the limited amount of time he did, Reed is definitely not a physical player.

He's a hell of a lot more physical than the players we have at WR right now. The inconsistency they showed run blocking last year was atrocious, so if Reed's switch can improve them in that area even a little bit then I think it's the right move.

They might as well. My guess is that it would be as accurate if not more accurate than a coach standing on a track with a stopwatch. Most high school coaches want to see their players get to the next level. Therefore, it's been known to happen to see an embellishment or two with regards to size and speed.

The time listed is whatever the kid reported. They could literally tell them anything.

However, there are several combines and camps at which many players get their time record electronically. You can find this information for a lot of kids. Here's NIKE Combines pitch:

Nike Football Combines are free and open to Class of 2011 and top underclassmen high school football players looking to showcase their skills. Alumni of the combines include NFL stars Larry Fitzgerald (Arizona Cardinals), Devin Hester (Chicago Bears) and Haloti Ngata (Baltimore Ravens) as well as thousands more who have gone on to play Division I college football.

Attending one of the Nike Football Combines gives each athlete the opportunity to get professionally SPARQ tested so they will have a starting base to improve upon. SPARQ stands for speed, power, agility, reaction and quickness. The rating comes from a series of sport-specific tests and gives athletes a chance to see their strengths and weaknesses. They'll also have a chance to see other elite players in their class, which will give them an idea of where they stand.

so where do you think he fits in on the depth by seasons start? i'm assuming this means McNeill is at TE still. i'd say it goes like this..

Speaking of Cooper...I wonder if being on the baseball team is bringing him down a little bit. Every practice can make a difference. Spring football is a chance to improve and he's missing it to play baseball. He's a great athlete, but I'm just wondering if it's stunting him at all. It would also be interesting to hear how the coaches feel about it. While they're evaluating players in the spring, he's not there because he's playing baseball.

it sure as heck is bringing him down a bit. i wish he wouldn't play baseball, but i mean it's his best sport for now so we cante expect him to quit. i think Bell makes great strides this spring. he has all the play making potential, he just needs to get blocking down. maybe Gilmore will soon realize that CFBs and the NFLs best WRs usually aren't great blockers, and thats not why they're in. is it better if he can block? of course. but he's in there to catch passes which is going to be darn good at. i think Bell is 2nd string behind Kinnie for sure

it sure as heck is bringing him down a bit. i wish he wouldn't play baseball, but i mean it's his best sport for now so we cante expect him to quit. i think Bell makes great strides this spring. he has all the play making potential, he just needs to get blocking down. maybe Gilmore will soon realize that CFBs and the NFLs best WRs usually aren't great blockers, and thats not why they're in. is it better if he can block? of course. but he's in there to catch passes which is going to be darn good at. i think Bell is 2nd string behind Kinnie for sure

I was thinking the same thing all year last year. Bell seems to have all the tools to be a great receiving threat. Gilmore has been quoted as saying that Bell didn't play because he didn't have the blocking down. We can question it all we want, but that is what our offense requires.

With our offense, the QB gets to the line, reads the D, and then calls the play. With that being said, Bell would become a liability as soon as Lee switches to the check down play (a running play).

IF we had some major threats at the skill positions then this wouldn't be as much of an issue.