SIGNED OT Zach Sterup

Losing leverage might be a little overrated if you can move your feet and have a big frame. Jonathon Ogden was 6"9' and he was the best OT in the league for about 12 years and will be a first ballot hall of famer. Not saying this guy is as good as Ogden, but that it could be a build that he could use to play football

Losing leverage might be a little overrated if you can move your feet and have a big frame. Jonathon Ogden was 6"9' and he was the best OT in the league for about 12 years and will be a first ballot hall of famer. Not saying this guy is as good as Ogden, but that it could be a build that he could use to play football

I'm curious to see what he measures at junior day. Anything you read regarding Sterup and basketball lists him 6'10" or 6'11". Anything football related has him at 6'9". They always stretch you a little on the basketball rosters, but unless he slumps at junior day he's pushing the envelop on the measurables.

Good grief, Too Tall Jones was 6'9". The tallest players currently in the NFL are around 6'9". Quite correct to note that any growth jeopardizes his chance of playing football much longer.

The exception and not the rule. A 20 year ago exception, at that.

Just to show - there are 53 players on each NFL roster, with 32 teams. 53*32=1696. I used ESPN rosters, which lists players exceeding the 53 player roster limit, so lets just say 60 players for each team. 60*32=1920.

Of all of those listed, only 20 players were in excess of even 6'8. Of those players, 3 were TE's, 1 was a DT, and 2 were DE's. The rest were OT's. That would mean barely 1% of every player listed on an NFL roster would be in excess of 6'8.

On our own Huskers squad, in the last decade (because that is as far as I decided to look) we have had ONE player 6'8 or taller on our roster. That player is walk-on TE, Robert Barry.

Is it impossible to succeed playing with height? No. Does it make it incredibly more difficult? HECK YES.

I actually like Sterup as a prospect. But his height is actually his disadvantage, especially being as tall as he is in high school already. Those growth plates likely are not closed. That's all I'm saying.

Good grief, Too Tall Jones was 6'9". The tallest players currently in the NFL are around 6'9". Quite correct to note that any growth jeopardizes his chance of playing football much longer.

The exception and not the rule. A 20 year ago exception, at that.

Just to show - there are 53 players on each NFL roster, with 32 teams. 53*32=1696. I used ESPN rosters, which lists players exceeding the 53 player roster limit, so lets just say 60 players for each team. 60*32=1920.

Of all of those listed, only 20 players were in excess of even 6'8. Of those players, 3 were TE's, 1 was a DT, and 2 were DE's. The rest were OT's. That would mean barely 1% of every player listed on an NFL roster would be in excess of 6'8.

On our own Huskers squad, in the last decade (because that is as far as I decided to look) we have had ONE player 6'8 or taller on our roster. That player is walk-on TE, Robert Barry.

Is it impossible to succeed playing with height? No. Does it make it incredibly more difficult? HECK YES.

I actually like Sterup as a prospect. But his height is actually his disadvantage, especially being as tall as he is in high school already. Those growth plates likely are not closed. That's all I'm saying.

I kind of like the idea of him lining up, ball is snapped, he comes out of his stance and as the DT charges low he places his massive hand on the back of the guys helmet and pushes down - the DT gets a face full of turf. By the time he's a junior he can probably take care of a DT and a DE w/ his left/right hand and a little "ole'" blocking. :)

I'm guessing the fact that he's a 2-sport athlete is going to hurt him a little. If he was 100% football he'd be coming in around 290-300 by now. If he got on the NU roster he'll break 310 by his sophmore year.

Here's a few recent OL recruits to take note of...

Seantrel Henderson 6'8" :star :star :star :star :star (USC)

Damien Robinson 6'8" :star :star :star :star (Mississippi St.)

Matt James 6'8" :star :star :star :star (Notre Dame)

Brice Schwab 6'8" :star :star :star :star (Arizona St.)

Trent Spurgeon 6'8" :star :star :star :star (Arizona)

Bobby Massie 6'8" :star :star :star :star :star (Mississippi)

Matt Hall 6' 10" :star :star :star :star (Arkansas)

Dann O'Neill 6' 8" :star :star :star :star (Michigan)

Art Forst 6' 8" :star :star :star :star (Rutgers)

Ken Plue 6' 8" :star :star :star :star (Purdue)

...most hover around 300-320, but a few of these guys wer 270-285. He's not as outside the norm as one might think.

I'm guessing the fact that he's a 2-sport athlete is going to hurt him a little. If he was 100% football he'd be coming in around 290-300 by now. If he got on the NU roster he'll break 310 by his sophmore year.

...most hover around 300-320, but a few of these guys wer 270-285. He's not as outside the norm as one might think.

It all depends on the kid. Some taller kids just cant add weight as rapidly as others.

High school reported heights and weights are as reliable as a Dollar Tree sports watch. That is why I keep mentioning that if Sterup's height is accurate, because these guys almost always embellish. This is why coaches always measure height/weight for these kids as the first thing they do when they come on visits.

There were a couple of kids who came up for January visits right when Bo was scrambling to fill out the class when he was originally hired. Bo watched tapes of the two kids, liked their videos. Bo knew the coach and took his word on their height/weight when he asked them to come up for a visit. We had every intention to take both of the kids. We got them up here, measured them out and both were WAY under their listed height/weight. Bo flipped his lid over getting lied to so badly about that.

I remember Joe Ganz being one of the best. Joe self-reported he was 6'3, nearly 6'4 coming out of HS. Joe was barely 6'0 tall. :)

Jesse Coffey was another. Guy is tall, but self-reported 6'7 290 out of HS when he was nowhere near that. Did not matter to anyone, because all the S&C guys knew they could put weight on him to make him into a B12 lineman.

Kids and coaches do it just to do it sometimes. Other times, it's used to give kids a better 'look' to college coaches. Either way, all these numbers, including 40 times, are never reliable and should always be taken with a grain of salt.

• Fire 1

High school reported heights and weights are as reliable as a Dollar Tree sports watch. That is why I keep mentioning that if Sterup's height is accurate, because these guys almost always embellish. This is why coaches always measure height/weight for these kids as the first thing they do when they come on visits.

There were a couple of kids who came up for January visits right when Bo was scrambling to fill out the class when he was originally hired. Bo watched tapes of the two kids, liked their videos. Bo knew the coach and took his word on their height/weight when he asked them to come up for a visit. We had every intention to take both of the kids. We got them up here, measured them out and both were WAY under their listed height/weight. Bo flipped his lid over getting lied to so badly about that.

I remember Joe Ganz being one of the best. Joe self-reported he was 6'3, nearly 6'4 coming out of HS. Joe was barely 6'0 tall. :)

Jesse Coffey was another. Guy is tall, but self-reported 6'7 290 out of HS when he was nowhere near that. Did not matter to anyone, because all the S&C guys knew they could put weight on him to make him into a B12 lineman.

Kids and coaches do it just to do it sometimes. Other times, it's used to give kids a better 'look' to college coaches. Either way, all these numbers, including 40 times, are never reliable and should always be taken with a grain of salt.

I respectfully disagree. The guys I listed have been to countless camps, combines, all-american games and other events where they were timed electronically and measured/weighed precisely. By the time the recruiting season gets going, and definately by the time it's winding down - an elite prospect will be fairly accurately reported. We already saw it with Ted Lampkin, originally listed at 5'9" was measured at a combine/camp at 5'7" and it's changed in most places.

As for the kids Bo was chasing last minute his first year, I doubt they were considered "elite" and therefore he probably had nothing else to go by...nor were they probably local boys like Sterup. Ganz, he played at 6'1"/210 for NU. He was 6'3" in Rivals here but Ganz really went no where that would have been tracked, and it's not like he had a lot of offers to spark an interest in his true measurables. You're right, Coffey reported at 6'7" 290, but he's also on NU's roster as 6'7" 300lbs, so I'm assuming unless UNL is full of BS that one's accurate.

Often this early there are discrepencies, but usually they error on the side that benefits the player (as in Lampkin's case). In Sterup's case that would be to make him shorter, not taller. I too mentioned earlier that I would like to see what he truely measures at because he's listed at 6'10" for basketball, but I'm doubting he drops much below 6'9". I certainly don't expect him to show up as 6'6" on Rivals after junior day.

• Fire 2

I respectfully disagree. The guys I listed have been to countless camps, combines, all-american games and other events where they were timed electronically and measured/weighed precisely. By the time the recruiting season gets going, and definately by the time it's winding down - an elite prospect will be fairly accurately reported. We already saw it with Ted Lampkin, originally listed at 5'9" was measured at a combine/camp at 5'7" and it's changed in most places.

As for the kids Bo was chasing last minute his first year, I doubt they were considered "elite" and therefore he probably had nothing else to go by...nor were they probably local boys like Sterup. Ganz, he played at 6'1"/210 for NU. He was 6'3" in Rivals here but Ganz really went no where that would have been tracked, and it's not like he had a lot of offers to spark an interest in his true measurables. You're right, Coffey reported at 6'7" 290, but he's also on NU's roster as 6'7" 300lbs, so I'm assuming unless UNL is full of BS that one's accurate.

Often this early there are discrepencies, but usually they error on the side that benefits the player (as in Lampkin's case). In Sterup's case that would be to make him shorter, not taller. I too mentioned earlier that I would like to see what he truely measures at because he's listed at 6'10" for basketball, but I'm doubting he drops much below 6'9". I certainly don't expect him to show up as 6'6" on Rivals after junior day.

Disagree with what? That those listings are inaccurate? A simple way to know if it is self-reported is to look for the check next to the listed height or weight. If there is none, then there is no Rivals verified height or weight. In which case, they list the height and weight as told to them by the player.

In the players you provided, not a single one is Rivals verified. That isn't even debatable, as that is how Rivals has always handled players profiles and continues to do today. Fact.

You mentioned Lampkin - notice in his player profile on Rivals that they have the check mark next to his height and weight. Those are Rivals verified numbers, which is why they have that check mark. That is the difference in all of those players you listed and Lampkin.

As for Bo and the 'elite' kids - you are right. But you are missing the point. High school coaches embellish these numbers, as do the players. This is the stuff that happens in recruiting. You have to go by word of mouth in so many circumstances, unless you have seen these kids in person. Thus why each player is weighed and measured during each visit as they first thing they do. Not only that, but each school has their S&C coach look over a player to determine if they have the frame needed to fill out for collegiate football. Our S&C could even lead the charge in stopping the recruitment of a player if he fills he cannot work with him.

And for Ganz - Joe was exactly 6'0 and weighed just over 200lbs at the combine. He was not 6'1 210, as you stated. I don't know for a fact, but I would guess Joe was not even 6'0 when he got on campus here. And he was definitely nowhere near the 6'3 190 listed by him. But it goes back to being another self-reported height and weight, as I've stated gives so many problems, just as you pointed out.

Again, in the case of Jess Coffey, take the listed height/weight with a grain of salt. Baker was playing in the 270's to begin last season. Suh was in the 280's. Marlowe is in the 160's. Caveman is about 230. Steven Osborne is in the 180's. Niles Paul is actually about 10lbs heavier than listed. Needless to say, these heights and weights are all over the map.

And your last paragraph - that benefits the player, like in Lampkin's case? Measuring in at 5'7 159lbs benefited Lampkin? How?

As I stated from my OP, and I don't know exactly what you are arguing in this case as you kinda contradict yourself, these heights/weights are often wrong. And as I stated, I hope it's the case for Sterup.

But to list players that are tall, when they are all self-reported and in all likelihood very wrong, is not a legitimate argument to show that having extreme height (by football standards) is not a problem.

• Fire 2

Disagree with what? That those listings are inaccurate? A simple way to know if it is self-reported is to look for the check next to the listed height or weight. If there is none, then there is no Rivals verified height or weight. In which case, they list the height and weight as told to them by the player.

In the players you provided, not a single one is Rivals verified. That isn't even debatable, as that is how Rivals has always handled players profiles and continues to do today. Fact.

You mentioned Lampkin - notice in his player profile on Rivals that they have the check mark next to his height and weight. Those are Rivals verified numbers, which is why they have that check mark. That is the difference in all of those players you listed and Lampkin.

As for Bo and the 'elite' kids - you are right. But you are missing the point. High school coaches embellish these numbers, as do the players. This is the stuff that happens in recruiting. You have to go by word of mouth in so many circumstances, unless you have seen these kids in person. Thus why each player is weighed and measured during each visit as they first thing they do. Not only that, but each school has their S&C coach look over a player to determine if they have the frame needed to fill out for collegiate football. Our S&C could even lead the charge in stopping the recruitment of a player if he fills he cannot work with him.

And for Ganz - Joe was exactly 6'0 and weighed just over 200lbs at the combine. He was not 6'1 210, as you stated. I don't know for a fact, but I would guess Joe was not even 6'0 when he got on campus here. And he was definitely nowhere near the 6'3 190 listed by him. But it goes back to being another self-reported height and weight, as I've stated gives so many problems, just as you pointed out.

Again, in the case of Jess Coffey, take the listed height/weight with a grain of salt. Baker was playing in the 270's to begin last season. Suh was in the 280's. Marlowe is in the 160's. Caveman is about 230. Steven Osborne is in the 180's. Niles Paul is actually about 10lbs heavier than listed. Needless to say, these heights and weights are all over the map.

And your last paragraph - that benefits the player, like in Lampkin's case? Measuring in at 5'7 159lbs benefited Lampkin? How?

As I stated from my OP, and I don't know exactly what you are arguing in this case as you kinda contradict yourself, these heights/weights are often wrong. And as I stated, I hope it's the case for Sterup.

But to list players that are tall, when they are all self-reported and in all likelihood very wrong, is not a legitimate argument to show that having extreme height (by football standards) is not a problem.

Wow, obviously I pushed a button. Guess I should have used crayon since you understand in rainbow colors better. I disagree that all of those players that I listed - some of the top players in their classes - have bogus height/weights.

Seantrel Henderson - the #2 recruit in 2010 is 50 pounds lighter than what rivals is reporting. :sarcasm Just because there isnt' a checkmark doesn't mean it isn't accuarte. Henderson was weighed and measured so many times they probably wore the tape out. Powell, Henderson, Prater, Floyd, Allen, Woods, etc, etc. Hardly any of the top 100 recruits have all their measurables verified with your checkmark - most have none...but the accuracy of them is more than likely close because all these players were at the camps/combines and were measured. NO checkmark doesn't mean it's "self reported" it just means Rivals didn't bother verifying themselves. Rival's get's their numbers from other sources than Crabtree and the bathroom scale he carries around in his backpack. If it doesn't have a checkmark does the cynic in you just imediately assume they are 4 inches shorter and 50 pounds lighter? Personally I don't gain any comfort with the checkmark since our coaches and staff obviously can't measure as well as the NFL scouts at the combine (in Ganz's case - For Ganz/Coffey I went of the NU roster) And if our coaches can't measure to your standards then probably no one can.

As for Lampkin - his self reported height (5'9") benefited him. If you are saying Sterup's self reported height is wrong then I say it probably errors on the side that will benefit him (making him shorter) which means that in reality he might be 6'10" or 6'11". He's not going to embellish his height and say he's 6'9" when he's really 6'7" because it certainly won't help him any. You are hoping his height is wrong. You're hoping he self-reported himself taller - which wouldn't make much sense from his perspective.

• Fire 3

Wow, obviously I pushed a button. Guess I should have used crayon since you understand in rainbow colors better. I disagree that all of those players that I listed - some of the top players in their classes - have bogus height/weights.

:dunno

Pushed a button? Huh? I'm not even having a spirited debate like I've been known to do a few times. If you have irritated me, you will know. Although seeing that you have resorted to pot shots in what was a reasonable discussion shows me where this is headed.

Seantrel Henderson - the #2 recruit in 2010 is 50 pounds lighter than what rivals is reporting. :sarcasm Just because there isnt' a checkmark doesn't mean it isn't accuarte. Henderson was weighed and measured so many times they probably wore the tape out. Powell, Henderson, Prater, Floyd, Allen, Woods, etc, etc. Hardly any of the top 100 recruits have all their measurables verified with your checkmark - most have none...but the accuracy of them is more than likely close because all these players were at the camps/combines and were measured. NO checkmark doesn't mean it's "self reported" it just means Rivals didn't bother verifying themselves. Rival's get's their numbers from other sources than Crabtree and the bathroom scale he carries around in his backpack. If it doesn't have a checkmark does the cynic in you just imediately assume they are 4 inches shorter and 50 pounds lighter? Personally I don't gain any comfort with the checkmark since our coaches and staff obviously can't measure as well as the NFL scouts at the combine (in Ganz's case - For Ganz/Coffey I went of the NU roster) And if our coaches can't measure to your standards then probably no one can.

:facepalm:

Again, here you go being off the reservation.

Why does Henderson have to be 50lbs lighter? The kid could be 10-15lbs lighter and 2-3 inches shorter. That's common place in recruiting. But yet you have to go overboard to find some solidity in what you are saying.

As for Rivals' reporting practices - you are saying that you find Rivals the bearer of truth to report what is accurate. This is the same place that grades recruits higher based on who prolongs recruitment. The same place that ranks recruits higher based on who has the larger Rivals fanbase. And yes, this is why Nebraska recruits get more bumps than they get knocked down. The place that relies on an offer list to do recruiting for them, meaning if you get an Alabama, Florida, Texas, Oklahoma offer - you go up in the rankings.

But for Rivals' heights/weights, if you do not believe what I am saying, then I do not know what to tell you. This has been common practice from Rivals from their inception and has been well known. If you don't want to believe that, then ask around to those that will know. I'm not sure you want to for knowing what you will hear, but that's up to you.

All in all, you are saying what you THINK happens and stating it as fact, without any semblance of actual fact, but merely hoping you are right in what you say.

As for Lampkin - his self reported height (5'9") benefited him. If you are saying Sterup's self reported height is wrong then I say it probably errors on the side that will benefit him (making him shorter) which means that in reality he might be 6'10" or 6'11". He's not going to embellish his height and say he's 6'9" when he's really 6'7" because it certainly won't help him any. You are hoping his height is wrong. You're hoping he self-reported himself taller - which wouldn't make much sense from his perspective.

And as I stated, I believe it to be the case. I stated that from my original post, which is why I am completely confused as to why you are even debating me on this.

As I said in multiple posts now, my point is simply that showing players who have self-reported heights/weights is a strawman argument at best in showing that it will not make a difference the outcome of a player.

Further - if Sterup's height/weight is wrong, why has it not been corrected? I mean, as you believe, Rivals have numerous sources who could find out the true height/weight of a player without issue. A man like Sean Callahan has likely seen Sterup an insane amount of times, and could easily find out from the numerous coaching and administrative contacts he has. Someone like Bryan Munson could as well when he has as many contacts in this state, and in the AD, as anyone out there.

Even Sterup - he's a wrestler. He's measured and weighed religiously. Kid has also taken unofficials to Nebraska. The data would not be that hard to track down.

Lampkin also took multiple unofficial visits this past year, in which he would be looked over. In essence, you cannot have it both ways on this argument, if this is the argument you want to make.

• Fire 3

Pushed a button? Huh? I'm not even having a spirited debate like I've been known to do a few times. If you have irritated me, you will know. Although seeing that you have resorted to pot shots in what was a reasonable discussion shows me where this is headed.

Why does Henderson have to be 50lbs lighter? The kid could be 10-15lbs lighter and 2-3 inches shorter. That's common place in recruiting. But yet you have to go overboard to find some solidity in what you are saying.

As for Rivals' reporting practices - you are saying that you find Rivals the bearer of truth to report what is accurate. This is the same place that grades recruits higher based on who prolongs recruitment. The same place that ranks recruits higher based on who has the larger Rivals fanbase. And yes, this is why Nebraska recruits get more bumps than they get knocked down. The place that relies on an offer list to do recruiting for them, meaning if you get an Alabama, Florida, Texas, Oklahoma offer - you go up in the rankings.

But for Rivals' heights/weights, if you do not believe what I am saying, then I do not know what to tell you. This has been common practice from Rivals from their inception and has been well known. If you don't want to believe that, then ask around to those that will know. I'm not sure you want to for knowing what you will hear, but that's up to you.

All in all, you are saying what you THINK happens and stating it as fact, without any semblance of actual fact, but merely hoping you are right in what you say.

And as I stated, I believe it to be the case. I stated that from my original post, which is why I am completely confused as to why you are even debating me on this.

As I said in multiple posts now, my point is simply that showing players who have self-reported heights/weights is a strawman argument at best in showing that it will not make a difference the outcome of a player.

Further - if Sterup's height/weight is wrong, why has it not been corrected? I mean, as you believe, Rivals have numerous sources who could find out the true height/weight of a player without issue. A man like Sean Callahan has likely seen Sterup an insane amount of times, and could easily find out from the numerous coaching and administrative contacts he has. Someone like Bryan Munson could as well when he has as many contacts in this state, and in the AD, as anyone out there.

Even Sterup - he's a wrestler. He's measured and weighed religiously. Kid has also taken unofficials to Nebraska. The data would not be that hard to track down.

Lampkin also took multiple unofficial visits this past year, in which he would be looked over. In essence, you cannot have it both ways on this argument, if this is the argument you want to make.

okay guys i'm not super involved in this convo but seeing all the minus rating and back and forth is kinda weak...... we need to lighten up... remember you guys are fighting over so to speak over how much dudes weight and how tall they are!!!!

lets chill for a minute chuckleshuffle

okay guys i'm not super involved in this convo but seeing all the minus rating and back and forth is kinda weak...... we need to lighten up... remember you guys are fighting over so to speak over how much dudes weight and how tall they are!!!!

lets chill for a minute chuckleshuffle

haha - we're actually arguing over a list I posted. A list that contained 10 players of similar height to Sterup that willie called BS because Rivals can't get anything (height/weight/rankings) correct. He took offense to the list because listing "players that are tall, when they are all self-reported and in all likelihood very wrong, is not a legitimate argument to show that having extreme height (by football standards) is not a problem."

It's a classic example of taking something completely out of context. I was just saying he's not as huge of an outlier as one might think. I used Rival's data because that's pretty much all we have without putting way to much time into it. Not a big deal - throw a -1 on this post as well...one thing I do know as FACT is the "reputation" provided on this website is MUCH LESS accurate than Rival's measurables. I mean I have (or had) a better reputation than EZ - but then he does think everyone's "Big Time" :)