SIGNED OT Zach Sterup

Even Sterup - he's a wrestler. He's measured and weighed religiously. Kid has also taken unofficials to Nebraska. The data would not be that hard to track down.

Hey Willie, just pointing out that Sterup is a Basketball player for St. Cecilia in Hastings. Perhaps you meant Mike Shoff?

okay guys i'm not super involved in this convo but seeing all the minus rating and back and forth is kinda weak...... we need to lighten up... remember you guys are fighting over so to speak over how much dudes weight and how tall they are!!!!

lets chill for a minute chuckleshuffle

The funny thing is, I've never touched a plus or minus post rating in any thread. Someone else must be disliking what is being posted though. :)

haha - we're actually arguing over a list I posted. A list that contained 10 players of similar height to Sterup that willie called BS because Rivals can't get anything (height/weight/rankings) correct. He took offense to the list because listing "players that are tall, when they are all self-reported and in all likelihood very wrong, is not a legitimate argument to show that having extreme height (by football standards) is not a problem."

It's a classic example of taking something completely out of context. I was just saying he's not as huge of an outlier as one might think. I used Rival's data because that's pretty much all we have without putting way to much time into it. Not a big deal - throw a -1 on this post as well...one thing I do know as FACT is the "reputation" provided on this website is MUCH LESS accurate than Rival's measurables. I mean I have (or had) a better reputation than EZ - but then he does think everyone's "Big Time" :)

My OP directed at you was simply to point out that posting the heights/weights of those guys isn't a good foundation to show that being tall doesn't affect how you play.

Then you went off in a rant where you defended Rivals.

Then didn't.

Then did again.

What you intended to say, still confuses me.

Hey Willie, just pointing out that Sterup is a Basketball player for St. Cecilia in Hastings. Perhaps you meant Mike Shoff?

SMH @ myself.

You just wanted me to feel stupid, didn't you? :)

Now people can stop PM'ing me telling me I never admit when I am wrong. :lol:

• Fire 1

okay guys i'm not super involved in this convo but seeing all the minus rating and back and forth is kinda weak...... we need to lighten up... remember you guys are fighting over so to speak over how much dudes weight and how tall they are!!!!

lets chill for a minute chuckleshuffle

The funny thing is, I've never touched a plus or minus post rating in any thread. Someone else must be disliking what is being posted though. :)

haha - we're actually arguing over a list I posted. A list that contained 10 players of similar height to Sterup that willie called BS because Rivals can't get anything (height/weight/rankings) correct. He took offense to the list because listing "players that are tall, when they are all self-reported and in all likelihood very wrong, is not a legitimate argument to show that having extreme height (by football standards) is not a problem."

It's a classic example of taking something completely out of context. I was just saying he's not as huge of an outlier as one might think. I used Rival's data because that's pretty much all we have without putting way to much time into it. Not a big deal - throw a -1 on this post as well...one thing I do know as FACT is the "reputation" provided on this website is MUCH LESS accurate than Rival's measurables. I mean I have (or had) a better reputation than EZ - but then he does think everyone's "Big Time" :)

My OP directed at you was simply to point out that posting the heights/weights of those guys isn't a good foundation to show that being tall doesn't affect how you play.

Then you went off in a rant where you defended Rivals.

Then didn't.

Then did again.

What you intended to say, still confuses me.

SMH @ myself.

When exactly did I say that Rivals innacurately reported the height/weight of the 10 players I listed? Since that's what we are discussing...I must have missed it.

And I don't think irie was accusing you of -1'ing me, but considering you were the only one reading the topic while I was posting those - and I got both -1 shortly after, we probably all just assumed. Must be all those ninja anon peeps.

I'm guessing the fact that he's a 2-sport athlete is going to hurt him a little. If he was 100% football he'd be coming in around 290-300 by now. If he got on the NU roster he'll break 310 by his sophmore year.

Here's a few recent OL recruits to take note of...

Seantrel Henderson 6'8" :star :star :star :star :star (USC)

Damien Robinson 6'8" :star :star :star :star (Mississippi St.)

Matt James 6'8" :star :star :star :star (Notre Dame)

Brice Schwab 6'8" :star :star :star :star (Arizona St.)

Trent Spurgeon 6'8" :star :star :star :star (Arizona)

Bobby Massie 6'8" :star :star :star :star :star (Mississippi)

Matt Hall 6' 10" :star :star :star :star (Arkansas)

Dann O'Neill 6' 8" :star :star :star :star (Michigan)

Art Forst 6' 8" :star :star :star :star (Rutgers)

Ken Plue 6' 8" :star :star :star :star (Purdue)

...most hover around 300-320, but a few of these guys wer 270-285. He's not as outside the norm as one might think.

High school reported heights and weights are as reliable as a Dollar Tree sports watch. That is why I keep mentioning that if Sterup's height is accurate, because these guys almost always embellish. This is why coaches always measure height/weight for these kids as the first thing they do when they come on visits.

There were a couple of kids who came up for January visits right when Bo was scrambling to fill out the class when he was originally hired. Bo watched tapes of the two kids, liked their videos. Bo knew the coach and took his word on their height/weight when he asked them to come up for a visit. We had every intention to take both of the kids. We got them up here, measured them out and both were WAY under their listed height/weight. Bo flipped his lid over getting lied to so badly about that.

I remember Joe Ganz being one of the best. Joe self-reported he was 6'3, nearly 6'4 coming out of HS. Joe was barely 6'0 tall. :)

Jesse Coffey was another. Guy is tall, but self-reported 6'7 290 out of HS when he was nowhere near that. Did not matter to anyone, because all the S&C guys knew they could put weight on him to make him into a B12 lineman.

Kids and coaches do it just to do it sometimes. Other times, it's used to give kids a better 'look' to college coaches. Either way, all these numbers, including 40 times, are never reliable and should always be taken with a grain of salt.

And am I missing in your OP where you said that using height/weight to "simply point out that posting the heights/weights of those guys isn't a good foundation to show that being tall doesn't affect how you play." Because no where in your OP did you mention that - you just said Rivals heights and weights were BS. At least that's all I got out of your rant. The "not a good foundation" thing didn't come until the last line of your rainbow post. And I never said it was a good foundation - I just said that if we are worried about his height - it's not that far out of the norm because other guys have been recruited and highly sought after that were tall as well. I never posted any opinion on his skill, or recuitability. Just provided some data for other people to form an opinion of. You are the one claiming I was using it as a foundation to judge his tallent. I don't see that, but you read between the lines way better than I do obviously.

SMH @ myself.

:lol:

It's cool, Willie. Been there, done that.

As far as playing two sports goes I can't see it. B-Ball and football overlap. Also, if you're training/building your body optimally to play O-line you're taking some away from your ability to play b-ball, and vice-versa. Maybe he could come in as a sub and bang away at the opposition for a few minutes each half but I can't see more than that.

As far as playing two sports goes I can't see it. B-Ball and football overlap. Also, if you're training/building your body optimally to play O-line you're taking some away from your ability to play b-ball, and vice-versa. Maybe he could come in as a sub and bang away at the opposition for a few minutes each half but I can't see more than that.

There are a few examples I can think of:

- Julius Peppers played in the Final Four for North Carolina. He quit his senior year to focus on football, but was an important part of one of the best teams in the country for a couple of years.

- Charlie Ward did the same thing, won the MNC, and then ended up in the NBA.

I guess the question will be if he actually has the talent (and desire) to do it. For the best athletes it is certainly possible.

- Julius Peppers played in the Final Four for North Carolina. He quit his senior year to focus on football, but was an important part of one of the best teams in the country for a couple of years.

I guess the question will be if he actually has the talent (and desire) to do it. For the best athletes it is certainly possible.

yeah, but neither of those examples played on the offensive line. julius peppers is a pass rusher and ward was a QB, not some freakin huge O-line guy

yeah, but neither of those examples played on the offensive line. julius peppers is a pass rusher and ward was a QB, not some freakin huge O-line guy

Exactly! The way college o-linemen have to fill out their frames and get so big to clog up the line would make it really tough to play college hoops. An offensive tackle in football morphing into a big banger forward in basketball would be super tough. He would have to put one of these sports on the backburner. What's he better at? Anybody know? PPG in basketball would suffice.

I have watched this kid play basketball. He has very good foot work and would be a great recruit for the football team. He did not impress me enough to say that he would help out our basketball team in the big 12. As for his height, I would say that 6'9 is pretty accurate (give or take an inch).

• 2 weeks later...

I have watched this kid play basketball. He has very good foot work and would be a great recruit for the football team. He did not impress me enough to say that he would help out our basketball team in the big 12. As for his height, I would say that 6'9 is pretty accurate (give or take an inch).

watched the second half of the state title game and zach looked pretty well put together and i'd say that the 6'9'' is pretty accurate.

had good developement through the shoulders....sometimes with young men his size they dont have alot developement or are sloppy looking

but not with zach....it looks like he has spent time in the weight room.