SIGNED OT Zach Sterup

If he plays basketball he can catch if he can catch size is a plus in football if a TE or WR. Our QBs if you noticed this year where off target more then on, therefore a 6ft 9 inch radius is good in that most of our QBs passes would be in the zone if they where throwing to Zach. :laughpound

• 5 weeks later...

If he grows out of football he'll just play for Bo Ryan and win games at UW in Basketball. Not a bad choice for him in my opinion. They play with low rated recruits every year and still make the dance every year.

or can come over to hawaii and play.... seems like our new coach (and assisant) are in the habit of trying to take away some nebraska players......

:LOLtartar

Wow 6'9. He is a tank.

Which is actually a bad thing, if the height is legit. Reason being he will have a tougher time getting low to stop edge rushers. And if he plays inside, it will be much easier for DTs to gain leverage on a much taller opponent.

And being still in HS, he's likely to grow more. So you have to wonder how tall he will get.

I actually hope for once a kids height isn't right and he is a few inches shorter than listed.

It seems like the NFL covets these tall OT, 6'5" - 6'7" has almost become the standard especially the Left Tackles. You don't see very many 6'3" guys at that spot any more. I imagine it's b/c of the arm length the have. If he is 6'9" he's going to have a huge reach advantage against almost anybody he matches up against. If he can develop great technique and has quick enough feet he's going to be very very tough to pass rush against. Iowa is like an OL factory they seem to send quality O-linemen to the NFL every year. They must have seen something they liked in him to offer him. And who knows 10 yrs down the road everyone might be looking for that 6'8" - 6'9" OT.

Arm length is fine, but that would be beneficial for a shorter man to keep defenders out of getting into him. At Sterup's supposed height, defenders are going to constantly force him to prove he can bend and move. Edge rushers are going to dip their shoulder to get under his blocks. DT's will use his height as a disadvantage to consistently get under his pads to set him off balance.

Really, his best hope is at OT. Very few OG's make it being tall. I remember researching one that there are very few OG's in the NFL who are even 6'5 or taller.

Football is a game of leverage, and more times than not, the low man wins in that case. Being at an extreme height is a huge disadvantage in his case, and it's why most people at Sterup's supposed height choose other sports to succeed.

Height is definitely an advantage at OT, especially in pass blocking. In the interior it is less important. You're right about that.

• 2 weeks later...

We better offer this kid or we are going to loss him! With some big time schools offering him makes me kind of nervous we are going to loss him!

Big time schools? Iowa? Wisconsin? Psh.

I'm not worried. If the coaches offer him he is N.

For offensive linemen, Iowa and Wisconsin are pretty big. Not many schools are better at producing offensive linemen, which should also say how good Sterup is if they offer.

Just like the convo about Rodney Coe and having a tall running back is sort of a liability, well having an extremely tall OT is a liability too. Having an OT that tall could allow shorter DE or DT's to get under them and get a better push, being that tall takes away from getting leverage on a quick DE. If he stops growing now (6'9) he might be okay, but if he grows much taller than I would say he should stick with basketball.

How many first-round lineman has Nebraska put out in the last 10 years compared to Iowa and Wisconsin? Look at Wisconsin's First-round haul alone:

2007 #3 Joe Thomas

2004 #2 Robert Gallery

2000 #22 Chris McIntosh

But hey, not big name schools at all...

How many first-round lineman has Nebraska put out in the last 10 years compared to Iowa and Wisconsin? Look at Wisconsin's First-round haul alone:

2007 #3 Joe Thomas

2004 #2 Robert Gallery

2000 #22 Chris McIntosh

I think what Carlfense is saying is that they arent schools any better than NU in the least bit.

2007 #3 Joe Thomas

2004 #2 Robert Gallery

2000 #22 Chris McIntosh

Robert Gallery is from Iowa.

2007 #3 Joe Thomas

2004 #2 Robert Gallery

2000 #22 Chris McIntosh

Robert Gallery is from Iowa.

Pfff... awkward. That's exactly what i was thinking.