SIGNED OT Zach Sterup

How many first-round lineman has Nebraska put out in the last 10 years compared to Iowa and Wisconsin? Look at Wisconsin's First-round haul alone:

2007 #3 Joe Thomas

2004 #2 Robert Gallery

2000 #22 Chris McIntosh

But hey, not big name schools at all...

Robert Gallery is from Iowa.

Pfff... awkward. That's exactly what i was thinking.

We better offer this kid or we are going to loss him! With some big time schools offering him makes me kind of nervous we are going to loss him!

My thinking is if we lose him, we lose him.

There are plenty of 'big time' schools that take in players that are not good enough for us. Should we match every offer that KU or CU throws out? The only reason for that kind of sentiment is he's an in-state kid, which is great, and I can see the need for good ties with in-state schools, but I don't think we can lower the talent standards for guys just because they are in-state and we want to secure a certain number of in-state guys on the roster.

• Fire 1

We better offer this kid or we are going to loss him! With some big time schools offering him makes me kind of nervous we are going to loss him!

My thinking is if we lose him, we lose him.

There are plenty of 'big time' schools that take in players that are not good enough for us. Should we match every offer that KU or CU throws out? The only reason for that kind of sentiment is he's an in-state kid, which is great, and I can see the need for good ties with in-state schools, but I don't think we can lower the talent standards for guys just because they are in-state and we want to secure a certain number of in-state guys on the roster.

I would have to agree. We want to keep the quality in state talent, but we have room for one more OT in this class and that is probably the last OL so we need to get a great kid. That may mean we don't offer this kid. If we don't have anyone by mid-end of the season maybe he gets an offer then. Or if he comes in and just does phenomenal at camp, but really I would rather have Trai Turner than this kid.

Just like the convo about Rodney Coe and having a tall running back is sort of a liability, well having an extremely tall OT is a liability too. Having an OT that tall could allow shorter DE or DT's to get under them and get a better push, being that tall takes away from getting leverage on a quick DE. If he stops growing now (6'9) he might be okay, but if he grows much taller than I would say he should stick with basketball.

This

Kid is already at the max-height for football. A little growth-spurt and we might as well just give the kid to Doc. I know the kid is getting a nice offer-list going with Stanford, Iowa, and Wiscy in the mix but given his circumstances and us being down to one OL-slot left I don't mind the slow-play.

Stanford just offered.

Notre Dame, Colorado and Nebraska are still talking with him. The only camps he's going to is Iowa and Nebraska. He grew up cheering for the Huskers and is a huge fan too. If offered I'm sure this kid is all ours.

Stanford just offered.

Notre Dame, Colorado and Nebraska are still talking with him. The only camps he's going to is Iowa and Nebraska. He grew up cheering for the Huskers and is a huge fan too. If offered I'm sure this kid is all ours.

I'd rather not see another Nebraska OL recruit head north to Notre Dame. There has to be something these colleges see in this kid. My guess is the main thing holding Bo back is the fact we have 4 commits already. Either that, or the fact that Bo evaluates OL recruits slightly different - from more of a defensive perspective and maybe he sees something other colleges don't.

Get him here. Get him in the weight room. Make him huge. Move him around until you find a spot for him. If he gets taller, make a position where he just stands as close to the quarterback as he can get and just waves his arms around to try to swat down balls.

I just don't get why we offer Evans, Marsh, and Cotton last year but aren't offering this kid and Lampkin.

The coaches obviously know what they are doing, but I don't see it. That being said, I trust their opinions.

Get him here. Get him in the weight room. Make him huge. Move him around until you find a spot for him. If he gets taller, make a position where he just stands as close to the quarterback as he can get and just waves his arms around to try to swat down balls.

I just don't get why we offer Evans, Marsh, and Cotton last year but aren't offering this kid and Lampkin.

The coaches obviously know what they are doing, but I don't see it. That being said, I trust their opinions.

It's not too complicated:

Lampkin is tiny . . . and although he ran a 4.38 hand timed 40 without pads on he lacks elite football speed.

Sterup (as discussed in detail in this thread) is already borderline too tall and is still growing.

Lampkin is tiny . . . and although he ran a 4.38 hand timed 40 without pads on he lacks elite football speed.

Sterup (as discussed in detail in this thread) is already borderline too tall and is still growing.

I have read the whole thread (long time HB reader, just now getting into the posting game), so I know the issues. My guess is Bo has told these guys that they will get evaluated this summer at camp to see if they are too tall or too small/slow with pads on. Sometimes in college football the exceptions can suprise you. That being said, is it worth risking two scholarships on these homegrown kids that may not have a good enough build/size/whatever. If we offer they commit. So I'm guess the coaches are going to make sure they see the potential that other schools see in them before they offer.

I have read the whole thread (long time HB reader, just now getting into the posting game), so I know the issues. My guess is Bo has told these guys that they will get evaluated this summer at camp to see if they are too tall or too small/slow with pads on. Sometimes in college football the exceptions can suprise you. That being said, is it worth risking two scholarships on these homegrown kids that may not have a good enough build/size/whatever. If we offer they commit. So I'm guess the coaches are going to make sure they see the potential that other schools see in them before they offer.

That too. We will probably only take one more offensive lineman. The coaches will try to get the best one available. If that's Sterup, so be it. If not, I wish Sterup well wherever he ends up.

Evans, Cotton and Marsh were offered later. August, November, January. Sterup could (and should) still get his.

Also, why do we assume that he's still growing? I haven't seen many individuals reach 6'9" and then after they are 18 hit a "growth spurt". Considering he's already 3-4 inchces taller than his brother's rivals 2008 height, I'd say he should be about done. His brother didn't grow at all after HS - his Northwest Missouri State bio still has him at 6'6" here.

Also, as I've said before - everything basketball has him at 6'10" like this piece. Basketball rosters tend to stretch the height - so he's probably 6'8 or 6'9.

Evans, Cotton and Marsh were offered later. August, November, January. Sterup could (and should) still get his.

Also, why do we assume that he's still growing? I haven't seen many individuals reach 6'9" and then after they are 18 hit a "growth spurt". Considering he's already 3-4 inchces taller than his brother's rivals 2008 height, I'd say he should be about done. His brother didn't grow at all after HS - his Northwest Missouri State bio still has him at 6'6" here.

Also, as I've said before - everything basketball has him at 6'10" like this piece. Basketball rosters tend to stretch the height - so he's probably 6'8 or 6'9.

I'm just inferring that he is still growing from all of the reports saying he might grow out of football. That would imply growth, no?

I'm just inferring that he is still growing from all of the reports saying he might grow out of football. That would imply growth, no?

Yeah I wasn't calling you out on it, I've heard that a lot too - but just really never seen a link or concrete anything that said he is still growing. It seems like it might be one of those things that was mentioned in RSS and ends up making it's way through the forums long enough that it becomes fact.

at least if he's still growing - maybe Lampkin is too...