SIGNED OT Zach Sterup

Wisconsin and Stanford both have offenses that put a lot of stock in the power running game, and they don't seem to think he's too tall. I'm actually way jealous of Stanford's offense. Power running game with a completely legitimate deep threat, ahhhh....

Wisconsin and Stanford both have offenses that put a lot of stock in the power running game, and they don't seem to think he's too tall. I'm actually way jealous of Stanford's offense. Power running game with a completely legitimate deep threat, ahhhh....

Which is why they might be able to handle a taller than average OL. Their QB doesn't have to throw over this guy, or see down the lanes as often. In addition, he will only have to pass block 30-40% of the time, which is where the real issue with his height comes in due to the fact that the DL can get leaverage and collapse the pocket. I think he'd be awesome in a power running game, which is probably why this board is so split on him.

Which is why they might be able to handle a taller than average OL. Their QB doesn't have to throw over this guy, or see down the lanes as often. In addition, he will only have to pass block 30-40% of the time, which is where the real issue with his height comes in due to the fact that the DL can get leaverage and collapse the pocket. I think he'd be awesome in a power running game, which is probably why this board is so split on him.

Actually, if I am remembering correctly shorter (6'1"-6'4") OL are more suited to run blocking and taller OL are more suited to pass blocking. The taller guys tend to have longer arms and are better at dropping back and pass blocking while the shorter guys are better at pulling and laying blocks on the perimeter because they can get better leverage.

Actually, if I am remembering correctly shorter (6'1"-6'4") OL are more suited to run blocking and taller OL are more suited to pass blocking. The taller guys tend to have longer arms and are better at dropping back and pass blocking while the shorter guys are better at pulling and laying blocks on the perimeter because they can get better leverage.

that sounds correct. i retract my earlier statement :)

Pretty much right, but only advantage shorter OL have is that it's more natural for them to run block. It depends on what height he plays at when he run blocks, or how low he naturally fires out.

so these are some pretty high pro schools... i wonder what does this mean...

1. the staff has a nack for addressing talent... do they seem something we dont

2. he just doesnt fit into the style of football we seek to run and promote

3. either way do we offer him as he is a nebraska kid?

so these are some pretty high pro schools... i wonder what does this mean...

1. the staff has a nack for addressing talent... do they seem something we dont

2. he just doesnt fit into the style of football we seek to run and promote

3. either way do we offer him as he is a nebraska kid?

They want him to attend camp so they can evaluate him up close. They'll offer him if they like what they see.

Take that UCLA! We are in the drivers seat on this one! Sweet revenge with Mr. Sterup.

I certainly hope you're right. I hope Sterup has a good enough head on his shoulders to understand that the class is close to being full on the OL, and they are going to be picky at this point. UCLA would sound pretty impressive to a kid from Hastings...and I'm not talking about the football aspect of it. He has to consider his future and if Nebraska wants to be a part of that then it's their gain - but at this point it doesn't look like it will be his loss if they don't. He'll end up somewhere with a solid program so good for him. At least he knows that and can wait until camp. If that offer doesn't come quickly after I'm guessing he'll move on. If I was him I'd be seeing Stanford and UCLA the first week school lets out rather than sit around waiting on NU though.

• 2 weeks later...

Take that UCLA! We are in the drivers seat on this one! Sweet revenge with Mr. Sterup.

I certainly hope you're right. I hope Sterup has a good enough head on his shoulders to understand that the class is close to being full on the OL, and they are going to be picky at this point. UCLA would sound pretty impressive to a kid from Hastings...and I'm not talking about the football aspect of it. He has to consider his future and if Nebraska wants to be a part of that then it's their gain - but at this point it doesn't look like it will be his loss if they don't. He'll end up somewhere with a solid program so good for him. At least he knows that and can wait until camp. If that offer doesn't come quickly after I'm guessing he'll move on. If I was him I'd be seeing Stanford and UCLA the first week school lets out rather than sit around waiting on NU though.

H.I. teaser indicates an offer may be coming. I'm not so sure. Hastings is a small town, with deep Husker roots b.t.w., and the rumor around town is that there are some behavioral issues that the NU staff is aware of that many of these national offers likely are not. Doesn't mean there won't be an offer, just that NU is treading very carefully on this one.

H.I. teaser indicates an offer may be coming. I'm not so sure. Hastings is a small town, with deep Husker roots b.t.w., and the rumor around town is that there are some behavioral issues that the NU staff is aware of that many of these national offers likely are not. Doesn't mean there won't be an offer, just that NU is treading very carefully on this one.

Cotton asked Sterup to stop by the football offices on the way to the state track meet today. I'm not a subscriber, but I think it's a safe bet to say that he got his offer.

Cotton asked Sterup to stop by the football offices on the way to the state track meet today. I'm not a subscriber, but I think it's a safe bet to say that he got his offer.

Very cool... Hope it works out! I don't think NU would have offered had there been any truth to the behavioral stuff.

You nailed it. They did offer him today.

i wonder about this kid.. with the whole basketball thing (is his heart 100 percent truly into football- guess he only really knows) and the size we will have to wait and see......

also the rumors (damn i hate these) about the 'issues'

it just gives me pause to think... the upside must be great for an offer so we will have to see i guess....... but sounds like someone i would have slow played a little more.....