SIGNED ATH Daniel Davie

I think sometimes people forget that the kids on the other team are trying too!

Also, I dont think he got ran down, I think he scored a TD on that kick return. Also, there is probably a pretty good chance that it was his 25th touch of the game on offense or special teams, not to mention he probably plays both ways. Maybe, just maybe he might have gotten a bit tired while running that kick back...and still scored.

Haha yes I'm sure they are trying, what relevance is that? And yes he did score but he got tackled near the end zone when the guy ran him down to do so. I guess he could have let up but then I question why he didn't run his fastest till the end. according to max preps he ran 70 times for 329 yards in 09' and only got 20 carries in a game once and had 16 receptions for 379 yards. He had his 99 yard kickoff return for a td against ralston where he ran 9 times for 36 yards, caught 2 passes for 24 yards had 2 total tackles and that lone kickoff return. Most top notch athletes in nebraska high school play both ways so that's a bogus excuse for the guy.

You dont really question why a kid might have let up a bit after running 100 yards. Come on. I know we like to think that everyone gives 100% all the time but lets face it, none of us do.

Like stated near the start of this thread, everytime a Nebraska kid starts to get some looks lots of people freak out.

Playing both ways is not a bogus excuse for the guys being tired at the end of that LONG TD run, most high school teams put back ups on kick off teams if they can, so you probably had a fresh legged kid chasing down and giving it all, vs a kid who probably had not come off the field.

I am just saying that college coaches dont start offering kids unless they think they are good. I have had D1 coaches in my coaches offices they know what they are looking for and what they are not looking for. Those guys see things differently than you and I do.

I dont know if this kid will be great or not and I dont know if he will get an offer or not but he is on the radar for a reason.

Can't teach speed. I think you'd have a hard time finding a kid that can run a 10.38 anywhere on that Rivals board. Tyler Evans ran around a 10.9-11.0. Eric Crouch (you might remember him) ran a 10.82 & 10.96 at state. Davies is much faster, he's been consistently under a 10.7 from what I can find. Like I said, I have no idea if that 10.38 was wind aided...but regardless that's smoking.

You look at the Drake Relays a few weeks ago, Mat Clark won the 100 w/ a 10.95. The 100-Meter record at UNL is "only" 10.16.

Maybe Davies, belongs on the track team - but you can't argue the fact he's one heck of an athlete. Everyone gushes over some Louisiana kid that can run a 4.4 40 (Curtis Carter), but the Nebraska kid that can do the same (or faster) isn't that impressive. The coaches can work w/ a raw product, the've shown that. At least we know Davies would still be on the team 4 years from now vs. a Florida speadster that misses home and the sunshine. He deserves a look if for no other reason than he'd be the fastest guy on the team from day 1.

• Fire 1

Can't teach speed. I think you'd have a hard time finding a kid that can run a 10.38 anywhere on that Rivals board. Tyler Evans ran around a 10.9-11.0. Eric Crouch (you might remember him) ran a 10.82 & 10.96 at state. Davies is much faster, he's been consistently under a 10.7 from what I can find. Like I said, I have no idea if that 10.38 was wind aided...but regardless that's smoking.

You look at the Drake Relays a few weeks ago, Mat Clark won the 100 w/ a 10.95. The 100-Meter record at UNL is "only" 10.16.

Maybe Davies, belongs on the track team - but you can't argue the fact he's one heck of an athlete. Everyone gushes over some Louisiana kid that can run a 4.4 40 (Curtis Carter), but the Nebraska kid that can do the same (or faster) isn't that impressive. The coaches can work w/ a raw product, the've shown that. At least we know Davies would still be on the team 4 years from now vs. a Florida speadster that misses home and the sunshine. He deserves a look if for no other reason than he'd be the fastest guy on the team from day 1.

Thank you! Great post! Every point you made is exactly what I was thinking. Like you said, if this kid was from another state then all of a suddent his "times" would mean something. But since he is in state those times are not fast.

There is no denying that some other states might have better competition but you also cant deny that a timed 100 in Nebraska is the same time in any other state.

I'm not discounting what he's doing in track one bit. But I'm not concerned about his track accomplishments. It'd be one thing if he was a track guy and every time he touched the ball he was taking it to the house, but it appears to be far, far, from that. less than 700 total yards against class B competition in Nebraska? He probably is a great athlete, in fact he'd have to be one to run that fast in track, but that doesn't mean he's a good football player. There is no way to compare Davies to Carter bc Carter's film was ten times better than Davies. If his speed on the track translates to the football field then there is pretty much nobody that could keep pace with him on the football field. I guess my thought process is, is if that were the case he'd be running cirlces around the other teams, and his stats are far from even being effective. You can say that I don't want to offer a nebraska kid all you guys want. I just want the best athletes and if they aren't from nebraska then fine, if they are fine. I have no problem at all offering guys like Reeves, Leverson, Crick, Pensick, and after watching some film on Cotton I'm actually pretty excited about him as well. Someone just answer me this: what reason can you see that a guy so fast and so worthy of a D1 offer has the stats he does? I keep reading the fact he's probably tired from playing both ways, so I looked at his defensive stats and I don't think he had more than 20 tackles and no INT's. Ok so maybe he's playing a lot of offense, nope, less than 400 yards rushing and less than 300 yards receiving. Maybe he's returning a lot of kicks, nope, I believe he had one return for over 30 yards. So when is he getting tired? It doesn't appear he's contributing a lot at any facet of the game.

I hope you dont take this as me trying to be a jerk but first off, DO NOT USE MAX PREPS for stats, not saying they are always wrong but they are usually pretty bad. Just from coaching for the last 10 years in Nebraska I can tell you they are terrible. That doesnt mean his stats are wrong, its just that its a bad source of information. You are better off calling the individual school.

Secondly,I think one time I mentioned that the kid might have been tired on one particular KO return. Thats it.

Third, not every coach will call plays the way you or I think they should. So they might have limited his touches.

4th, he could have been dinged up a lot during the course of the year, lets face it, not every little nagging injury makes the paper.

You asked about stats, remember the Gabberts, they both had craptastic stats, vs craptastic competition and they were both losers in high school. Yet, they were 5 and 4 star guys. I think they both even got dinged up all the time.

High school coaches do what they feel is best for their team. I think that Carriker was a QB in high school, I think Tony Veland might have been too. High school coaches are not worried about what college coaches want. Maybe this year, as a senior, the offense will be switched a bit to focus on him?

Maybe the Beatrice coaches didnt know what they had in him at the start of his junior year, maybe this year he will be "the man". Maybe he was new to the team, new to the community, maybe he started slow, maybe he switched positions maybe the staff had another guy they TRUSTED more, dont forget, trust has a lot to do with it too.

Please dont take this post to be an attack on you or that I am trying to be a dick or know it all, I know sometimes its easy to read a post that way. I am just tossing out some stuff that I think.

I do know what you are saying, you see a kid like this getting some pub and offers and look at his stats and think "he should be kicking ass" but also remember that football is such a team game, its usually not just one kid that makes the difference.

No I see what you're saying, crap happens. You also kinda hit it on the head, when I see a guy, particularly running back, getting less than 400 yards I'm thinking how is that possible? Hey, I hope he does well this coming year. I'm not down on Nebraska guys at all, in fact I wish we had more talent in nebraska every year bc it would make recruiting so much easier. I'm just skeptical with some of them bc high school football in Nebraska isn't that great relatively speaking so when you're not tearing it up it makes me wonder why. Especially at running back where you would think if he were that good he'd get at least 15-20 carries a game. With that said, he was only a junior last year and a ton of growing is done from junior to senior year so hopefully he does tear it up this coming year.

I'm not discounting what he's doing in track one bit. But I'm not concerned about his track accomplishments. It'd be one thing if he was a track guy and every time he touched the ball he was taking it to the house, but it appears to be far, far, from that. less than 700 total yards against class B competition in Nebraska? He probably is a great athlete, in fact he'd have to be one to run that fast in track, but that doesn't mean he's a good football player. There is no way to compare Davies to Carter bc Carter's film was ten times better than Davies. If his speed on the track translates to the football field then there is pretty much nobody that could keep pace with him on the football field. I guess my thought process is, is if that were the case he'd be running cirlces around the other teams, and his stats are far from even being effective. You can say that I don't want to offer a nebraska kid all you guys want. I just want the best athletes and if they aren't from nebraska then fine, if they are fine. I have no problem at all offering guys like Reeves, Leverson, Crick, Pensick, and after watching some film on Cotton I'm actually pretty excited about him as well. Someone just answer me this: what reason can you see that a guy so fast and so worthy of a D1 offer has the stats he does? I keep reading the fact he's probably tired from playing both ways, so I looked at his defensive stats and I don't think he had more than 20 tackles and no INT's. Ok so maybe he's playing a lot of offense, nope, less than 400 yards rushing and less than 300 yards receiving. Maybe he's returning a lot of kicks, nope, I believe he had one return for over 30 yards. So when is he getting tired? It doesn't appear he's contributing a lot at any facet of the game.

The kid is used as an athlete by a school who focuses largely on running, so they give the ball to the #1 running back most plays. He is used as a weapon to surprise people. Also his d stats are not amazing because teams steer away from him. Oh and the guy who tackled him at the end of the long run (#81 for Ralston) was Dwight Smith. He is a state qualifying track athlete 3 years in a row and a three sport star. He has a full ride scholarship for basketball at Colorado state and he is 6'-4" which helps with his top end speed, thus catching davies at the last second. Know your facts before calling out a kid you don't have any knowledge on.

One last thing, you claim Crick was an example of great stats in a lesser division. He was C-1 (a division under Davies) and his stats as a senior were:

11 games 9 rushes 66 yds 7.3 ypc 15 receptions 284 yds 18.9 ypc 4 TDs 31 solo tackles 37 assisted 68 total

By your standards we should never have taken him because he did not dominate against lesser quality opponents. Man I wish you were the coach of our football team! :facepalm:

So this amazing athlete who is the fastest guy in the state is used as a weapon only to surprise people in class B football? Man sounds like a home run recruit to me. By the way, I don't think I have to have a ton of knowledge of a kid to know that his stats on offense are by far less than average. Defensive stats can be misleading especially in the defensive backfield so I'll let that go. I never once even hinted that Crick was a good offensive player in high school but 67 tackles from the defensive line is far better stats than Davies stats on offense. Man that full ride to Colorado State is pretty impressive, but bottom line Davies biggest asset is his speed and a guy that has a full ride to freaking CSU ran him down. I'm not in any way saying #81 is slow or not a good athlete, just that if Davies is as good as people are saying he should have strolled into the endzone. And don't come on to the board and act like a know it all bc you can point out the fact that some recruit has a full ride to CSU or the syle of their offense, or spit out stats about Crick. Congrats on finding the info, well done! If this kid is as good as you say he is, why isn't he the #1 RB? Why don't they get him the ball more often? If they focus so much on running why don't they put him at QB like most other teams do with their best player? Come on McShay, let me hear your thoughts.

So this amazing athlete who is the fastest guy in the state is used as a weapon only to surprise people in class B football? Man sounds like a home run recruit to me. By the way, I don't think I have to have a ton of knowledge of a kid to know that his stats on offense are by far less than average. Defensive stats can be misleading especially in the defensive backfield so I'll let that go. I never once even hinted that Crick was a good offensive player in high school but 67 tackles from the defensive line is far better stats than Davies stats on offense. Man that full ride to Colorado State is pretty impressive, but bottom line Davies biggest asset is his speed and a guy that has a full ride to freaking CSU ran him down. I'm not in any way saying #81 is slow or not a good athlete, just that if Davies is as good as people are saying he should have strolled into the endzone. And don't come on to the board and act like a know it all bc you can point out the fact that some recruit has a full ride to CSU or the syle of their offense, or spit out stats about Crick. Congrats on finding the info, well done! If this kid is as good as you say he is, why isn't he the #1 RB? Why don't they get him the ball more often? If they focus so much on running why don't they put him at QB like most other teams do with their best player? Come on McShay, let me hear your thoughts.

So you will give Crick a pass on his offensive stats, yet you won't do the same for Davies whom the coaches are looking at as a DB? Husker N KC brings some great facts to the discussion and yet you respond by dismissing them and calling him names. You cite Maxpreps for your stats, which someone else pointed out are often incomplete or just flatout erroneous and yet you continually reference them. Someone here has actually seen him play and came away impressed. I don't get why some are dismissing this kid because of 40 seconds of highlights from the first few games of his junior season and some stats that may or may not be accurate.

Again, he wasnt run down on that kick return, he scored a TD.

He might not have been the number one back because he could very well be 160 pounds (at the start of his junior year), they probably had a senior starter, they probably run between the tackles a lot (like most high school teams) and like the other guy said, the Skers are looking for him to maybe be a DB.

He might be average at best, I really don't know. I just know that looking at a clip from the Ralston game you can't tell either way.

We need more quality Nebraska recruits so the board can explode more often. As for Curtis Carter - I saw him drop plenty of balls in his combine video. Just because he had a better production crew cutting his highlights film means nothing. As for Davie's film, remember the Ralston game was the first of the season. Sexton (their coach) is quoted as saying the KO return was "all" Davie's athletic ability. Cody Walters had almost a 100 yards in the game, in addition to the 100+ put up by Jace Bowhay (Sr.). There were 6 takeaways in the game, a couple of them returned for touchdowns in addition to Davie's 99 yard KO return. From the sound of things this isn't the type of team that scores conventionally so I wouldn't expect monster stats out of that game.

The reason Davie's rushing stats aren't huge (besides the fact that he probably plays mostly defense at this point) is that Bowhay gets most of the carries. Like teachercd mentioned, trust has a lot to do w/ it, and a junior isn't going to get the carries over a senior when that senior is averaging over 100ypg. The one game Davie did get a lot of touches he had 150 yards. "At one point, Daniel (Davie) carried the ball eight times in a row," Sexton said. "He’s finding out what it’s like to be a workhorse, too." It's obvious he's young and still building that "status" that is so important in small town HS football. Bowhay will be gone this year, expect Davie to easily eclipse 1,000 yards this year and satisfy your thirst for huge numbers.

His receiving stats might not be spectacular either - but probably because of lines like this: McClure was 7-for-11 passing for 106 yards with Davie catching three passes for 80 yards. When you account for almost 80% of your team's passing yardage and only tally 80 yards there isn't much more you can do as a player. Or this one: McClure was 9-for-13 in passing for 202 yards. Davie caught three passes for 99 yards. 50% of the offensive production through the air. Not bad yards-per-catch either. I'd say some of that must be speed.

I see where you are coming from on the stats. They are not impressive but I think they are adequate considering the situation he is in. I don't entirely agree with you when you say he should be "tearing it up" in class B if he is such and impressive athlete. It sounds like when the situation presents itself he is able to take advantage of it and tear it up, unfortunately the situation doesn't present itself often. Matt May never tore it up in Imperial, Ben Eisenhart rarely in Culbertson, both small town schools but both were spectacular athletes. Taylor Dixon is from that area as well. All had decent numbers but weren't "tearing it up" - Standard w/ his 2800 tears it up in St. Louis.

This is one of those times when I understand the coaches wanting to wait to offer him. They probably know he has the raw skills to be productive, they would just like to see him prove himself some more. That's not too much to ask and I wouldn't think Davie would object to that. I think this guy, physically shows more potential than Lampkin, but Lampkin has the numbers we like to toss around on this board. It's just a matter of opinion. I hope Davie puts up 1500 this year and make the decision much easier for the coaches - because he's got Tyler Evans by about 2 steps, and he was worthy of a scholarship on a short year. Davie should get one in a year we aren't as tight.

Good post....you also shed some light into what you are thinking. The reason I am not as high on him as some is mainly, yes, bc of his stats. I guess IMO even as a junior if you are a legit D1 recruit you should beat out a senior. If he's rushing for over 100 ypg and he's not on any big schools radar then why couldn't he beat him out? Why couldn't he rush for over 100 ypg? As for the whole him being a defensive recruit, I really can't even comment bc I didn't see one highlight from him playing defense. I understand he's growing and learning how to be a football player but that's just the way I think about it. Like I mentioned in a previous post, I think a ton of growing as a football player is done from junior year to senior year so I do really hope he has a great year.

Good post....you also shed some light into what you are thinking. The reason I am not as high on him as some is mainly, yes, bc of his stats. I guess IMO even as a junior if you are a legit D1 recruit you should beat out a senior. If he's rushing for over 100 ypg and he's not on any big schools radar then why couldn't he beat him out? Why couldn't he rush for over 100 ypg? As for the whole him being a defensive recruit, I really can't even comment bc I didn't see one highlight from him playing defense. I understand he's growing and learning how to be a football player but that's just the way I think about it. Like I mentioned in a previous post, I think a ton of growing as a football player is done from junior year to senior year so I do really hope he has a great year.

Completely understand where you're coming from. Only time will tell - and time is what the coaches are probably asking Davie to give them...and more than likely what he is asking them to give him. Little time, 1 more season and he'll prove himself.

I'm assuming you're talking about the senior when you mentioned rushing for over 100ypg? My guess is as good as yours, but a lot of HS kids across the state rush for 100ypg. To get a scholarship out of these smaller schools you have to possess something that is going to make a difference. I don't think the question with Davie will ultimately be "Does his production justify an offer?" which is often the case when evaluating talent because it's easier to compare numbers - I think it will be "Does he possess the physical tools to be a game changer? (mainly his speed)".

Personally, my opinion of his value is based solely on his speed. The rest I'm hopeful he can develop. Until recently we have been so outmatched when it comes to speed and athletism that you just have to shake your head. Pelini's addressed that more than anything in my opinion.