What are you reading right now?

I read Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas for probably the 10th time.  I love it because the writing is superb and you can read the whole thing in an afternoon.  One of my favorites. 

Underrated movie too.  It's the only movie I know of that changes genres depending on your state of mind.  If you watch it sober it's a slapstick comedy.  Watch it high then it's a serious drama about drug addiction.

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/22/2017 at 10:18 AM, GSG said:

I'm hoping to have an ambitious summer of reading:

The Magicians series:

220px-TheMagicians.jpg

Kinda like an adult Harry Potter. I've been watching their show on Syfy (the first season is on Netflix) and we've been hooked.

The story revolves around a set of children's books similar to The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe but it turns out that Fillory (Narnia) is real but it's not all sunshine and daisies.

Three books in the series: The Magicians, The Magician King, and The Magician's Land

I also just purchased the Dark Tower series by Stephen King. I always wanted to read it but I never did.

In addition, I added a few books from female authors since I don't seem to ever read anything written by a woman:

Idaho by Emily Ruskovish

Dead Letters by Caite Dolan-Leach

Sympathy by Olivia Sudjic

Talk about abject failure. I just finished the fourth book in the Dark Tower series (Wizard and Glass). The whole series is connected to almost every book King has written, which is pretty crazy to me. Other than that, I didn't read s#!t :(

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, GSG said:

Talk about abject failure. I just finished the fourth book in the Dark Tower series (Wizard and Glass). The whole series is connected to almost every book King has written, which is pretty crazy to me. Other than that, I didn't read s#!t :(

I haven't read a new book for something like 5 years, so I'm more of a failure.

2 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I gave up on the Wheel of Time series somewhere around book 7. The plot hadn't advanced much for several books and the characters were pretty much static.

That's usually about where people stop if they stop. I really liked book 7 on re-reading it. Books 8 and 10 are awful. 9 is okay. 11 is really good and people tend to really like 12-14 but the new author's writing and obsession with Perrin bothered me.

My favs are books 3, 4, & 6.

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 9:50 AM, Moiraine said:

May the Light illumine you.

Finished the series last week. Felt somewhat melancholy, after reading about the same characters for the past year I was kinda sad to see it all end. Agree with the sentiment that it bogged-down some in the upper-middle of the series, but at least Jordan finished strong with  11. Thought Sanderson really brought it home well in the last three books. I'm now starting on his stuff with the Mistborn series. 

7 hours ago, Danimal said:

Finished the series last week. Felt somewhat melancholy, after reading about the same characters for the past year I was kinda sad to see it all end. Agree with the sentiment that it bogged-down some in the upper-middle of the series, but at least Jordan finished strong with  11. Thought Sanderson really brought it home well in the last three books. I'm now starting on his stuff with the Mistborn series. 

Mistborn is really good, although it gets really weird.

If you like fantasy books, then I recommend Robin Hobb and Brent Weeks.

I just finished these two:  

TinCupDreamsCover.jpg

"Tin Cup Dreams: A Longshot Makes it on the PGA Tour" by Michael D'Antonio.    Pretty good read.  It's about Esteban Toledo.  

the-real-history-of-the-end-of-the-world

"The Real History of the End of the World" By Sharan Newman.  It's a compilation of various end of the world prophesies.  With attempts at humor mixed in.  Decent book.  I'd recommend it. 

• Plus1 1

Excellent story telling. I've gotten a much better appreciation for Grant since reading.   Good chance the North doesn't win the civil war without him.  Too many missteps by too many generals who didn't have a clue to what they were doing. Grant made some mistakes also but learned from them.  He was aggressive. 

Cover art

American Ulysses: A Life of Ulysses S. Grant

Ronald C. WhiteOctober 4, 2016

NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER • From the author of A. Lincoln, a major new biography of one of America’s greatest generals—and most misunderstood presidents
On 6/14/2018 at 9:37 AM, NUance said:

I just finished these two:  

TinCupDreamsCover.jpg

"Tin Cup Dreams: A Longshot Makes it on the PGA Tour" by Michael D'Antonio.    Pretty good read.  It's about Esteban Toledo.  

the-real-history-of-the-end-of-the-world

"The Real History of the End of the World" By Sharan Newman.  It's a compilation of various end of the world prophesies.  With attempts at humor mixed in.  Decent book.  I'd recommend it. 

The bold:  End of the world & humor does seem to match well  - kind of like water and oil  or :ahhhhhhhh& :laughpound

• Plus1 1
55 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

The bold:  End of the world & humor does seem to match well  - kind of like water and oil  or :ahhhhhhhh& :laughpound

Ha ha!  Yeah, I guess I have eclectic tastes.   The previous two before those were Stephen Hawking's "A Brief History of Time" and "Soccer for Dummies."