What are you reading right now?

3 hours ago, TGHusker said:

Excellent story telling. I've gotten a much better appreciation for Grant since reading.   Good chance the North doesn't win the civil war without him.  Too many missteps by too many generals who didn't have a clue to what they were doing. Grant made some mistakes also but learned from them.  He was aggressive. 

Been working my way through The Civil War by Ken Burns.  It is amazing how much bungling went on in the Union Army.

14 hours ago, Mavric said:

Been working my way through The Civil War by Ken Burns.  It is amazing how much bungling went on in the Union Army.

Agree - there were these 'political' generals who had very little knowledge of how to lead strategically.  Petty jealousy between generals, some were overly cautious (scared to fight I think) - so many blown opportunities of not 'finishing' off the victory and allowing the southern armies to escape.  Good thing Grant had Sherman, Sheridan, & McPherson and a couple of others.

On 6/12/2018 at 7:30 AM, GSG said:

Talk about abject failure. I just finished the fourth book in the Dark Tower series (Wizard and Glass). The whole series is connected to almost every book King has written, which is pretty crazy to me. Other than that, I didn't read s#!t :(

I seem to be gaining some steam here. Finished Wizard and Glass which had a pretty sad ending. I tore through The Wind Through the Keyhole (Dark Tower #4.5) which was really bittersweet. Starting Wolves of the Calla today.

• 5 weeks later...

41j5nZw1zTL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

"One Goal : A Chronicle of the 1980 U. S. Olympic Hockey Team"  by Arthur C. Kaminsky and John Powers. 

Excellent book.   I can't wait to rewatch Miracle now after reading this.  

• 5 months later...
On 5/3/2016 at 11:44 AM, Moiraine said:

Yes. ("Moiraine" is a character in WoT). It's a 14 book series. The first 4 books are better than anything else I've ever read. I liked the whole series but some people did not like books 7-10. It picks up again after that. It took me about 100 pages into the first book to get hooked and then I read the rest that were out at the time in about 2 weeks.

http://www.amazon.com/Eye-World-Wheel-Time-Book/dp/0812511816/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1462293687&sr=8-1&keywords=eye+of+the+world

I think the only reason the first book has 4 stars instead of 5 out of 5 is because of what I mentioned with the later books. There are a lot of "this book is great, but..." reviews. Books 2-4 are all 4.5/5. (Book 4 is my favorite).

Well, three years later, I have finally picked up the first three books in this series. I wanted the first one in anticipation of my vacation next week and got the other two because it was all part of a box set on sale :lol:. So, I'm pumped.

I just have to finish reading Inferno this week by Dan Brown... I've had that book partially read for years now. I typically really enjoy Dan Brown's books but this one has been really difficult for me to get through.

1 hour ago, Enhance said:

Well, three years later, I have finally picked up the first three books in this series. I wanted the first one in anticipation of my vacation next week and got the other two because it was all part of a box set on sale :lol:. So, I'm pumped.

I just have to finish reading Inferno this week by Dan Brown... I've had that book partially read for years now. I typically really enjoy Dan Brown's books but this one has been really difficult for me to get through.

Let me know how it goes.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/4/2019 at 9:39 AM, Moiraine said:

Let me know how it goes.

About ~200 pages from the end of the first book and, overall, I'm really enjoying it. Have barely been able to put it down. The only bit that felt a bit sluggish to me at first was the several chapters with Mat/Rand traveling to Caemlyn and avoiding danger, but it was still done really well and did a great job illustrating the constant danger they face. I really appreciate Jordan's ability to tease at bits of information, providing answer to some of the low-hanging fruit plot points while stringing along some of the bigger things. I also love/hate that things got super interesting with Perrin/Egwene/Elyas and then bam... nothing for 6-7 chapters.

Some people may find this blasphemous, but, I have a more enjoyable time reading Jordan than Tolkien. 

On 1/15/2019 at 8:22 AM, Enhance said:

About ~200 pages from the end of the first book and, overall, I'm really enjoying it. Have barely been able to put it down. The only bit that felt a bit sluggish to me at first was the several chapters with Mat/Rand traveling to Caemlyn and avoiding danger, but it was still done really well and did a great job illustrating the constant danger they face. I really appreciate Jordan's ability to tease at bits of information, providing answer to some of the low-hanging fruit plot points while stringing along some of the bigger things. I also love/hate that things got super interesting with Perrin/Egwene/Elyas and then bam... nothing for 6-7 chapters.

Some people may find this blasphemous, but, I have a more enjoyable time reading Jordan than Tolkien. 

I found those parts pretty slow too. I loved The Hobbit and enjoyed LotR, and Tolkien deserves a ton of credit for influencing so many writers, but there are quite a few writers whose books I like more.

I think Eye of the World was supposed to be a little bit of an homage to Tolkien. The beginning at least. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/19/2018 at 8:40 AM, GSG said:

I seem to be gaining some steam here. Finished Wizard and Glass which had a pretty sad ending. I tore through The Wind Through the Keyhole (Dark Tower #4.5) which was really bittersweet. Starting Wolves of the Calla today.

Forgot to update when I finished the series. It was really good! Definitely one of my favorites. I wish they could make it into a series but I think it would be really difficult