What are you reading right now?

I have a newborn, so 'in-depth' reading isnt a luxury im afforded at the moment. the toilet bowl variety is about all I can manage.

So I have this-

final_exits.large.jpg

its a great look into the ways people kick the bucket, with great stories of the history behind them... is quite enlightening, and actually provides some wise advice in places.

Some threads on Huskerboard.

One titled, "What are you reading right now?" at the moment.

.....And this is the reason I actually debated starting this thread. I tend to forget the children. So much for getting book ideas.

Can I help it if I prefer lite reading?

"How about a pamphlet?" -Airplane (The Movie)

I never really learned how to read.

Some threads on Huskerboard.

One titled, "What are you reading right now?" at the moment.

.....And this is the reason I actually debated starting this thread. I tend to forget the children. So much for getting book ideas.

I just recently finished The Stand, by Steven King. I've read it several times. Highly recommended . . . if you can fight through the 100 pages of boredom at the beginning.

Churning my way through Colleen McCullough's Masters of Rome series right now.

First Man in Rome

Adequately kicks off the series with a detailed peek into the lives of Gaius Marius and Lucius Cornelius Sulla. Marius is the "Italian hayseed with no Greek" who, through political cunning and military genius rises up the cursus honorum to the very pinnacle of pre-Caesar Rome.

The Grass Crown

Marius' historic rise to power is at its peak, and Sulla's is well on its way. Will these two giants remain steadfast, or will differing personal and political desires tear them apart? Well worth the read to find out.

Fortune's Favorites

The advent of an adult Gaius Julius Caesar into the series puts it well into form. McCullough's Caesar is brilliant, beautiful and arrogantly sure of himself. While just a young man, it is clear to his contemporaries that his star shines the brightest. Caesar is a gripping character, and the main reason I eagerly burn through 2,000+ pages before he bursts onto the scene.

Caesar's Women

This is the first of the Caesar-centric books in the series. There's plenty of action from the likes of Pompey, Clodius, Lucullus and Crassus, among others, but Caesar is the star who shines brightest of all. I'm about halfway through this book and enjoying every word.

The rest of the series is queued up on my night table:

Caesar

The October Horse

Antony and Cleopatra

All told over 5,000 pages of brilliance. I should be done with this series by July.

The end of July. ;-D

one_second_after.jpg

Just started reading this yesterday and I am already hooked. It's about a terrorist group that sets off an EMP over the States and sends us back to the stone age. Apparently, this book was recently studied by Congress.

0375701907.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.gif

Read this a little while ago but it's great and wanted to include it. This book is hilarious. Sactrical novel - - think Curb Your Enthusiasm.

I saw your post last week and started researching EMPs and then my girlfriend bought me the book on Saturday. I finished it yesterday morning before work. Needless to say, I'll be buying a few extra gallons of water, vitamins, and a few canned good every time I go to the grocery store for about the next two years. REALLY startling, possible, stuff.

one_second_after.jpg

Just started reading this yesterday and I am already hooked. It's about a terrorist group that sets off an EMP over the States and sends us back to the stone age. Apparently, this book was recently studied by Congress.

I saw your post last week and started researching EMPs and then my girlfriend bought me the book on Saturday. I finished it yesterday morning before work. Needless to say, I'll be buying a few extra gallons of water, vitamins, and a few canned good every time I go to the grocery store for about the next two years. REALLY startling, possible, stuff.

Pretty dang interesting (and a good book), huh? Glad you got a chance to read it! It does really hit home and truly seems more plausible than many other doomsday scenarios.

It scares me when he talks about the messes in the big cities....I can't even imagine what would happen in Chicago if something like this went down.