What are you reading right now?

Dirty white boys is his dad I do believe the next book in the bob lee swagger series is the 47th samurai I just finished that about a month ago. I am gonna start reading night of thunder next but stopped to read the hunger games trilogy and finished those in a week! Reallyrecommend those. If you haven't read point of impact the first in the bob lee series I would it ties alot of things together

(null)

• 2 weeks later...

imgphp.jpg

Always up for more on this story.

This is a good book dealing with some info not covered by other books on the subject.

Will it change your mind? Probably not.

I'm reading this when the History channel is not showing one of those 'Alien' shows...

Funny, I check this thread and you're reading that. I finished Stephen King's 11/22/63 yesterday. It's about a guy who finds a way to go back in time to stop the Kennedy assassination, among other things. At 700 pages (or whatever--I read it on Kindle), there's quite a bit more to it than the central plot thread. I haven't quite made up my mind how I feel about it yet. It got a little syrupy in the middle, but it was definitely a page turner.

Next up: Finish Hyperion by Dan Simmons, or as I like to think of it, the Canterbury Tales IN SPACE.

I'm reading the Swiss Family Robinson. I didn't realize just how much of a children's book this is before I started it. It's basically Robinson Crusoe without any danger to the family whatsoever. Everywhere they look on their island they fall bass-ackwards into a treasure trove of useful, wonderful things. I'm about 2/3 of the way through the book and I find myself hoping Fritz turns against the family and goes native, sniping at them from the bushes. Or maybe an Orwellian twist a la Animal Farm where the domesticated animals (and they have a veritable zoo of them) seals the family in their cave and takes over the island.

It's not a terrible book. It would just probably be much more palatable if I were 12.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm currently reading "The other side of the mountain: Mujahideen tactics in the Soviet-Afghan War"

It's primarily made up of vignettes based on accounts of insurgent leaders given in the 1990s and very interesting. The whole thing seems oddly ironic.

• 2 weeks later...

Spent the weekend reading two stories by Robert Heinlein (Author of Starship Troopers) I'm not much for Sci-Fi stuff but Heinlein pioneered the field before it was taken over by George Lucas and Trekkies. As far as I know Starship Troopers is still on the reading list at West Point...

101013ovHeinleinRevoltin2100IfThisGoesOn-1.jpg?t=1337547823

The first one I read was "If this goes on-" about a future America ruled by a rabid Theocracy. A young Army Officer joins an underground brotherhood (Heinlein implies Masonic connections) and fights in an eventual revolt. Has a very 1984 feel to it but its a bit more satisfying. It's a short story and can be found in the "Revolt in 2100" collection of Heinlein works.

148127898.jpg?t=1337548331

The second Heinlein work I tore into was Variable Star. To call it a Heinlein is a bit misleading as he never actually wrote the book. It came out nearly two decades after his death based on a notes and an incomplete outline for a story that was fleshed out by Spider Robinson later. Anyhow I enjoyed the basic plot but not the way in which Robinson took to it...It's about a college student who finds out his Girlfriend is obscenely wealthy and was hiding the fact until he agreed to marriage, her father wants to change him and force him to abandon his plans for the future so he hops on a colonist ship for a recently discovered planet...along the way some other stuff happens...the sun explodes and kills everyone blah blah blah...I wouldn't recommend it.

I found it interesting that in both works the protagonist gets royally screwed by a woman he loves. Heinlein must have had issues with his mother.