Player: Cyrus Hobbi

Hometown: Scottsdale, AZ

School: Saguaro HS

Position: OG

Height: 6'4"

Weight: 285 lbs.

40 time: 5.0

Visit Date:

Scholarships: Alabama, Arizona, Arizona St., California, Michigan, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, UCLA, Oregon St., Tennessee, Texas A&M, UCLA, Washington

Committed to USC

Rivals: :star :star :star :star (#2)

Scout: :star :star :star :star (#8)

ESPN: :star :star :star :star (#1)

**NOTE: Click on ESPN link above to watch his highlight film.**

seems like lots of offers to AZ kids, is that usual?

We've gotten some good AZ kids over the years. Prince Amukamara, Eric Hagg and Marcel Jones are all from AZ. Former Husker great, Mike Brown is also from AZ and furthermore is from the same high school (Saguaro) as Cyrus Hobbi. Another interesting connection with Saguaro HS is that Coach Beck used to be HC there from '93-'95.

Interestingly enough Beck was Mike Brown's HS football coach his Freshman, Sophomore and Junior year.

• 3 weeks later...
Ever since Scottsdale Saguaro junior offensive lineman Cyrus Hobbi won MVP honors of a top-100 lineman camp at Rutgers a month ago, football

scholarship offers have been pouring in.

Coach John Sanders said that Hobbi is up to 15 offers, the most recent coming today from Tennessee and Oregon State.

Sanders said some of Hobbi's other offers are from Alabama, Notre Dame, Michigan, Nebraska, Washington, Boise State, California, Arizona and Arizona State.

He said he hasn't heard back from Louisiana State, but "I know they're offering."

Wow.

Sanders said the offensive line coach at Alabama "just raves about him."

Sanders said some college coaches have told him they believe Hobbi (who was listed at 6-foot-4, 285 pounds last season) is better than Chandler Hamilton junior Christian Westerman, a five-star recruit by Scout and Rivals, who has more than 30 offers.

"I do not say this loosely, but he will be the best offensive lineman ever to come out of Saguaro," Sanders said. "He's really good. He's got flexible hips, long arms, he's athletic.

"One thing about Cyrus, he loves the game of football."

http://www.volnation.com/sec-news-display-vols-prospects.php?id=16439

“I am looking for a college where on the academic side I know I can do something with their degree after football,” said Hobbi. “I want to be able to have a back-up plan if football doesn’t work out for me so education will always be key for me. I also want to go somewhere that I know I can get along well with the coaching staff and mix in well. The overall enviornment of the program will be key for me.”

http://www.volnation.com/2010/03/18/hobbi-talks-offer/

Note the article mentions 4 prospects that carry Nebraska offers: Hobbi, Westerman, Peat, Hundley.

How big is this junior football class in Arizona?

Monday, Scottsdale Saguaro offensive lineman Cyrus Hobbi became the third player in the Valley to receive an invitation to play in the U.S. Army All-American Bowl in San Antonio next year.

Later in the day, Saguaro coach John Sanders said he spoke to an Under Armour All-American representative, who also offered an invitation for its January game in Orlando, Fla.

Like Chandler Hamilton offensive lineman Christian Westerman (both U.S. Army and Under Armour invitations), he'll have to choose one.

Tempe Corona del Sol defensive tackle/offensive lineman Todd Peat also received an invitation to the U.S. Army game.

Hobbi is one of the nation's fastest-rising prospects. He can play guard and tackle and could be taking snaps at center during his senior year.

Coach John Sanders said that Oklahoma has now offered a scholarship to the 6-foot-4, 285-pound Hobbi.

In recent weeks, Hobbi has picked up offers from Tennessee, Nebraska, Michigan, UCLA, Notre Dame, Washington and Oregon State.

Arizona State and Arizona are both trying to lure all three All-American linemen.

Since Sanders has been head coach, he has had one other All-American. Defensive tackle Corey Adams played in the Under Armour All-American Game two years ago when Sanders was an assistant coach in the game.

Adams is now playing at ASU.

There is a chance that at least two other juniors could receive All-American invitations: Chandler quarterback Brett Hundley and Oro Valley Canyon del Oro tailback Ka'Deem Carey.

LINK

Note the article mentions 4 prospects that carry Nebraska offers: Hobbi, Westerman, Peat, Hundley.

How big is this junior football class in Arizona?

Monday, Scottsdale Saguaro offensive lineman Cyrus Hobbi became the third player in the Valley to receive an invitation to play in the U.S. Army All-American Bowl in San Antonio next year.

Later in the day, Saguaro coach John Sanders said he spoke to an Under Armour All-American representative, who also offered an invitation for its January game in Orlando, Fla.

Like Chandler Hamilton offensive lineman Christian Westerman (both U.S. Army and Under Armour invitations), he'll have to choose one.

Tempe Corona del Sol defensive tackle/offensive lineman Todd Peat also received an invitation to the U.S. Army game.

Hobbi is one of the nation's fastest-rising prospects. He can play guard and tackle and could be taking snaps at center during his senior year.

Coach John Sanders said that Oklahoma has now offered a scholarship to the 6-foot-4, 285-pound Hobbi.

In recent weeks, Hobbi has picked up offers from Tennessee, Nebraska, Michigan, UCLA, Notre Dame, Washington and Oregon State.

Arizona State and Arizona are both trying to lure all three All-American linemen.

Since Sanders has been head coach, he has had one other All-American. Defensive tackle Corey Adams played in the Under Armour All-American Game two years ago when Sanders was an assistant coach in the game.

Adams is now playing at ASU.

There is a chance that at least two other juniors could receive All-American invitations: Chandler quarterback Brett Hundley and Oro Valley Canyon del Oro tailback Ka'Deem Carey.

LINK

How much fun would it be to sweep the state of Arizona with all these kids after our glorious bowl game? I'll tell how much.....a lot :lol:

• 1 month later...

Says Nebraska is definitely in the mix for him. He will take a bunch of visits this summer to schools closer to him like UCLA and USC. Nebraska has a good chance to get an official visit this fall.

Interesting note: Hobbi works out with Kyle Caldwell (a 4 :star DE in the 2003 class who signed with ASU). Caldwell keeps telling Hobbi how much he loves Nebraska. Says even though he signed with ASU, Nebraska was his second choice....tells him all about the official visit he took during the recruiting process.

Says Nebraska is definitely in the mix for him. He will take a bunch of visits this summer to schools closer to him like UCLA and USC. Nebraska has a good chance to get an official visit this fall.

Interesting note: Hobbi works out with Kyle Caldwell (a 4 :star DE in the 2003 class who signed with ASU). Caldwell keeps telling Hobbi how much he loves Nebraska. Says even though he signed with ASU, Nebraska was his second choice....tells him all about the official visit he took during the recruiting process.

I know Cotton and Brown are recruiting Hobbi, but I'd like to see Beck in on it too. Beck used to be the HC at Hobbi's school back in the day. Like I already mentioned earlier in this thread, Beck used to coach former Husker great Mike Brown since he's also from the same school as Hobbi.

• 3 weeks later...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I knew Cyrus was a good un, but I had no idea he was rated this highly. No. 2 on Rivals and 1 on ESPN at the guard spot is impressive. Apparently Scout feels there are a hell of a lot of good guards this year, because he's rated number 12 and is still a four star.

Anyway, here's to hoping Cyrus comes to Nebraska. If he's looking for brothership, I guarantee he'll find no other OL class in the nation that he'd be feel more a part of than here. He'd make a great sixth man, and we already have guys from all over the map, as well as a few instate guys. Diversity definitely not an issue. I'd love to have this kid N!