• 11 years later...

Did a search on "linux" in Husker Forums and this ancient topic/thread is about it, mostly.  Interesting.. looks like not enough interest to begin a poll:

What computer operating system do you use most?  Generally talking about browsing/searching/using the internet, not texting or making calls, etc.

- Windows

- Mac

- Linux

- Phone or Tab OS (iOS, Android, etc)

Except for servers Windows is obviously dominant by a huge margin, around 90% of the market to even 98% depending on which survey is used.  But I was wondering about linux usage in this forum. 

I use a mix of Windows and linux distros (Manjaro, MX, GhostBSD).  Mostly linux but keep up with Windows on more than one machine.  Anyway, likely talking to myself here.  Still wonder if a true poll on this subject would fly. 

2 hours ago, Hagg said:

Did a search on "linux" in Husker Forums and this ancient topic/thread is about it, mostly.  Interesting.. looks like not enough interest to begin a poll:

What computer operating system do you use most?  Generally talking about browsing/searching/using the internet, not texting or making calls, etc.

- Windows

- Mac

- Linux

- Phone or Tab OS (iOS, Android, etc)

Except for servers Windows is obviously dominant by a huge margin, around 90% of the market to even 98% depending on which survey is used.  But I was wondering about linux usage in this forum. 

I use a mix of Windows and linux distros (Manjaro, MX, GhostBSD).  Mostly linux but keep up with Windows on more than one machine.  Anyway, likely talking to myself here.  Still wonder if a true poll on this subject would fly. 

I strongly doubt Windows is anywhere near 90-98% even if you exclude servers, tablets, and phones. I don't like Mac personally, but I suspect Macbook is more than 2-10% of the market by itself.

I use linux for both my home desktop and for work (software engineer). I've found over the years that Ubuntu is the simplest distro to use for my purposes, but I've used gentoo in the past when cross-compiling for different devices. I've had both good and bad experiences with Chromebook for an inexpensive laptop to surf the web as I don't like using the small screen on my phone.

• Plus1 1

Windows is dominant for PCs but industry uses a variety of unix flavors for various things.  If you're just talking about internet browsing, that's more about the browser itself than the OS. I use Chrome and Firefox on both Windows and Linux all the time, both work well.

What else do you plan to do with this machine would be my next question to help select an OS.

• Plus1 1

Haven't done the real search on Windows vs Linux usage world wide yet, but keep thinking back to a chart I saw a few years ago (not at distrowatch.. perhaps one of the online mags) which did place Windows at over 90% desktop usage and Linux was way down there at 2%.  Desktop usage. 

As far as an OS for tools/work, I'd love to see true world wide data on that.

I remember my journey beginning in '96 when I noticed boxed sets of CDs right next to the Windows CDs at Best Buy:  TurboLinux, SuSe, RedHat, etc.  That did not last long as Gates' crews began their scorched earth business tactics of disallowing shelf space for Linux distributions.  So, the iso downloads began and that's still about it. 

My first was RedHat 5.*  .. distro hopped for decades now but do have a daily driver of MX, the love affair between Mepis and AntiX. 

2 hours ago, Hagg said:

Haven't done the real search on Windows vs Linux usage world wide yet, but keep thinking back to a chart I saw a few years ago (not at distrowatch.. perhaps one of the online mags) which did place Windows at over 90% desktop usage and Linux was way down there at 2%.  Desktop usage. 

Quick internet search and looks like Windows is about 70-75% and OSX around 16% for desktops: https://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-share/desktop/worldwide

I've been tempted to try Unraid for their, well, not raid setup.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

Quick internet search and looks like Windows is about 70-75% and OSX around 16% for desktops: https://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-share/desktop/worldwide

I've been tempted to try Unraid for their, well, not raid setup.

Hmm.. I see they're using a commercial product that they have linked to on their "about" page:  StatCounter, which they explain as how they get their numbers (https://gs.statcounter.com/about)

So click throughs on that product's data is indeed where they're getting their numbers.  Seems like a fairly good representation, and of course is better than nothing.  Ideally it'd be good to see it done in a manner which gathers from more than that one product, especially being as how there are now over 1.86 billion websites out there, and 4.66 billion internet users. 

(I'm editing the same post instead of double posting) Just noticed this portion of the StatCounter FAQ, wherein they talk about how they obtain their data, impressive:  https://gs.statcounter.com/faq#desktop-laptop

It looks quite robust and it is updated daily.