Player: Mickey Johnson

Hometown: Covington, LA

School: St. Paul HS

Position: DT

Height: 6'1"

Weight: 310

40 time: 5.0

Visit Date:

Scholarships: Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Auburn, Baylor, Florida St., Illinois, Kansas St., Louisville, LSU, Memphis, Michigan, Mississippi, Mississippi St., Nebraska, Oklahoma St., Oregon, Southern Illinois, SMU, Southern Miss, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Tulane, Tulsa, UCF, UCLA

Committed to LSU

Rivals: :star :star :star :star (#14)

Scout: :star :star :star :star (#23)

ESPN: :star :star :star :star (#10)

Our defense has made a nice impression. :koolaid2:

From Husker Journal:

MARCH 9 2010. MESSAGE BOARDS

MICKEY JOHNSON, DL, 6-1, 300, COVINGTON (ST PAUL’S), LOUISIANA

Likes Mississippi Hospitality

“I went to Mississippi State Junior Day’s I like the facilities, coaches and the atmosphere there. I liked the people it’s a lot different where I’m from.” Johnson said

“I’ve been to Mississippi State Last year. I went to the Houston game it wasn’t as crowed as a SEC game but the fans were into the game.” Johnson said

All Schools Equal

“I’ve been to LSU its home away from home. I don’t have any favorites they are all equal. I have no pressure to go to LSU. Coach Miles at first wanted me to make up my mind quickly but I told him I wanted to take some visits and talk to my parents about it.” Johnson said

Husker Offer

“They (Nebraska) offered me last week. Nebraska coach called my coach and said they are going to offer me I talked to him too. Nebraska looked at my film and they liked my size and quickness as a defensive lineman.” Johnson said

“That Big Monster Suh"

“I like Nebraska they are known for their defensive line-that big monster Suh. I’m thinking about going up there this summer. I’m a big fan of Bo Pelini when he was with Sabin. I like Bo’s defensive schemes and tactics. My dad is a big fan of Nebraska’s defense too.” Johnson said

“After watching Suh in the Texas game it was crazy. I have that picture of Suh throwing McCoy down on the ground on my computer screen saver. That game stays in my mind.” Johnson said

• Fire 1

“After watching Suh in the Texas game it was crazy. I have that picture of Suh throwing McCoy down on the ground on my computer screen saver. That game stays in my mind.” Johnson said

Just awesome! Some kid with no ties to Nebraska has big Suh as his screen saver. I love hearing this stuff!

Nexus needs to send him the animated version.

"It went well," Johnson said. "I got the chance to speak with (LSU Head Coach) Les Miles and he said he really wants me to be a Tiger. He said I fit their program really well in his opinion as quick as I am and how good my work ethic is. It was fun to see a lot of players really getting after it. They really seemed like they were working hard."

"If I was an LSU fan I would be impressed with what I saw from the scrimmage," Johnson said. "They were really getting after it and they play was extremely physical. I would expect very big things from LSU this year.

"The thought of committing today to LSU really didn't cross my mind to be honest," Johnson said. "I don't plan on making that decision until after my senior football season is concluded. All the schools that have offered me at this point are equal. No favorite at this point."

"I may make some visits during my senior football season but I would like to deal with all of this after the football season is over," Johnson said. "I will tell you this though. I like LSU a lot. The (Cox Communication Center for Student-Athletes) Academic Center is amazing and LSU is a great place to really just go and grow up and become a great football player and student. Being close to home doesn't hurt but that won't affect my decision. I just want to be comfortable."

"It went well," Johnson said. "I got the chance to speak with (LSU Head Coach) Les Miles and he said he really wants me to be a Tiger. He said I fit their program really well in his opinion as quick as I am and how good my work ethic is. It was fun to see a lot of players really getting after it. They really seemed like they were working hard."

"If I was an LSU fan I would be impressed with what I saw from the scrimmage," Johnson said. "They were really getting after it and they play was extremely physical. I would expect very big things from LSU this year.

"The thought of committing today to LSU really didn't cross my mind to be honest," Johnson said. "I don't plan on making that decision until after my senior football season is concluded. All the schools that have offered me at this point are equal. No favorite at this point."

"I may make some visits during my senior football season but I would like to deal with all of this after the football season is over," Johnson said. "I will tell you this though. I like LSU a lot. The (Cox Communication Center for Student-Athletes) Academic Center is amazing and LSU is a great place to really just go and grow up and become a great football player and student. Being close to home doesn't hurt but that won't affect my decision. I just want to be comfortable."

I think we have a solid shot, especially if LSU fills-up while he's still deliberating. They're one of those program that can fill quickly and they already have one DT.

• 1 month later...
“I like the idea of playing under a coach that is strong on defense like Charlie Strong, Nick Saban or Bo Pellini.“

“I’m originally from San Diego, I was born there. I’ve only lived here for eight years, so it’s not like I grew up an LSU fan.” Johnson added,

would love to get an offer from, Johnson quickly replied, “SC. I’d love to have a chance to play for USC.”

“Alabama, Nebraska, Ole Miss, Tennessee and Oklahoma State really stand out to me right now.” Johnson said. “Alabama and Oklahoma State are the schools recruiting me the hardest right now.”

• 2 weeks later...

New Rivals teaser saying he'll be visiting sometime this summer.

Another thing I thought was quite impressive is the fact that this kid can bench press 405 lbs. three times. For a Junior that is scary. He also squats 695. :blink:

And then he does this 500 lbs press:

Another thing I thought was quite impressive is the fact that this kid can bench press 405 lbs. three times. For a Junior that is scary. He also squats 695. :blink:

That stuff used to impress me, but I think it has a lot less bearing than I once thought. I remember a guy we had on the O-line a few years ago who could bench 705 or something like that, and didn't see a down.

That stuff used to impress me, but I think it has a lot less bearing than I once thought. I remember a guy we had on the O-line a few years ago who could bench 705 or something like that, and didn't see a down.

I understand where you're coming from but I'm impressed with his power lifting abilities. His football skills is another thing altogether, but for being a power lifter and a junior at that and putting up those types of numbers is impressive. Your point is valid though.

"Over the summer, I plan to visit Tennessee, Tulsa, Oklahoma State, Nebraska and Ole Miss. I'll try to narrow things down a bit before my senior year. Then, I'll try to make an official visit or two during the season and then the rest soon after and hopefully make a final decision a couple of weeks before Signing Day."

"I don't have a top group of schools right now but the schools recruiting me hardest are Alabama, Tennessee, Nebraska, Ole Miss, Oklahoma State and LSU."

per rivals

I think 705 might be a little on the high side??? World record is around 715 me thinks..... but maybe he was an ex-husker!

Anyone know the husker bench record?

I think 705 might be a little on the high side??? World record is around 715 me thinks..... but maybe he was an ex-husker!

Anyone know the husker bench record?

I believe he is talking about Brock Pasteur. He actually benched 545.

linky