Player: Ryan Shazier

Hometown: Plantation, FL

School: Plantation HS

Position: DE

Height: 6'3"

Weight: 205

40 time:

Visit Date:

Scholarships: Alabama, Baylor, Connecticut, Florida, Florida St., Louisville, Minnesota, Mississippi, Mississippi St., Nebraska, Ohio St., Oklahoma, Rutgers, South Carolina, South Florida, Tennessee, Texas Tech, UCF, UCLA, Wisconsin

Committed to Ohio State

Rivals: :star :star :star :star (#9)

Scout: :star :star :star :star (#9)

ESPN: :star :star :star :star (#8)

"I have offers from Florida State, Oklahoma, South Florida, South Carolina, Wisconsin, Tennessee, and Mississippi State," Shazier said. "I think Nebraska and Ohio State are close to offering me. I am hearing from Miami, LSU, and some others as well."

"Most of the schools say that I can be a hybrid for both positions," Shazier said. "It depends on the situation because sometimes I like rushing after the passer but sometimes I like dropping back and playing the pass. So I like both."

The South Florida native has a pair of Seminole coaches in his ear trying to lure him to Florida State.

"I have been talking with Coach Coley and now it is Coach Gran," Shazier said. "They are great guys. They tell me about what they are doing up there and how they are going to change their defense now with the new coaches. They always ask me about my family and tell me that they are praying for me."

edit: video interview http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4940804

"I got four more offers on Tuesday from Minnesota, Nebraska, Rutgers, and Baylor," said Ryan Shazier.

"I am up to 16 offers now."

Nebraska: "I know they have a very strong fan base out at Nebraska and they are known for having a tough defense too."

Baylor: "My dad went to Baylor, so I know a little about the area. I like the area the school is in and I lived in Texas a little while too. They have a very strong seminary program out there too."

The only real surprise out of the new offers was the Golden Gophers. He was being recruited by the other three programs.

When asked about a top school, Shazier responded with, "I have not favorites right now."

Scouts should re-look at this kid ESPN has him on the 150 and the offers Baylor, Florida, Florida St., Mississippi, Mississippi St., Nebraska, Ohio St., Oklahoma,South Carolina,Tennessee, Texas Tech, Wisconsin. Texas and USC the only ones missing

Since it is early for 2011 recruits scout is not really fully ranking them. They only have a few of their 5 stars up and everyone else with numerous offers gets a 3 star automatically that can raise to a 4 star with more offers or some actual work by scout (not likely). Right now if a recruit has any offers they are an automatic 1 star and if they have more than a couple it is an automatic 3 star. That is why rivals waits to put out rankings. Rivals wants to evaluate first and then post rankings, not rank and then evaluate.

Scouts should re-look at this kid ESPN has him on the 150 and the offers Baylor, Florida, Florida St., Mississippi, Mississippi St., Nebraska, Ohio St., Oklahoma,South Carolina,Tennessee, Texas Tech, Wisconsin. Texas and USC the only ones missing

Since it is early for 2011 recruits scout is not really fully ranking them. They only have a few of their 5 stars up and everyone else with numerous offers gets a 3 star automatically that can raise to a 4 star with more offers or some actual work by scout (not likely). Right now if a recruit has any offers they are an automatic 1 star and if they have more than a couple it is an automatic 3 star. That is why rivals waits to put out rankings. Rivals wants to evaluate first and then post rankings, not rank and then evaluate.

That's not really accurate. Scout has a fully ranked Top 150 with plenty of 4 star players.

How can this kid play DE when he is 205? He seems more like a LB/S size.

I checked several sites to see if that was a misprint. It wasn't. Dunno, girl, he almost seems like the size of a safety.

ESPN has him as an Outside Linebacker. Projecting to be a OLB/Rush end on pass plays.

"Linebacker

Ryan Shazier (Fort Lauderdale, Fla./Plantation): Shazier has made his name as a pass-rushing terror off the edge for Plantation, notching 19 sacks last season. His transformation into an outside linebacker is under way, and this spring is a first chance to test his ability to play in space, change direction, and use his quickness and pure speed to chase and cover, instead of exploding off the edge and closing on a quarterback.

The early returns were positive on back-to-back days at a 7-on-7 practice and at the Under Armour combine. Shazier has quickly shown the ability to both adapt and understand the position. He is receiving offers from around the country from the likes of Florida, Florida State, Ohio State, Tennessee, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Wisconsin, Texas Tech, Ole Miss, Louisville, Nebraska and South Florida. LSU is expected to join them in the near future."

Link - ESPN

That's not really accurate. Scout has a fully ranked Top 150 with plenty of 4 star players.

Of course they have a fully ranked "Top 150". They take the guys that come to their combines, and the guys with the most early offers and they evaluate them. They have not looked at all of the thousands of prospects and have really barely touched the surface. I really dislike Scouts rating process. It is about which schools are offering a kid and which kids get offered early. Don't tell me you think they have already looked at all of this years recruits and came up with the "Top 150". They have only done complete evaluations on a few hundred kids and so their evaluations thus far are not very accurate.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...