QB Situation

I want to put out some scenarios to you guys and get your thoughts.

But before I do, I wanted to share with you that I had the opportunity to meet Tommie Frazier during an alumni event here in Washington State. During a Q&A session, the subject of QB was brought up. Tommie mentioned that Zac Lee had surgery and then talked about Taylor Martinez. He seemed very high on this kid. He also said that Tom Osborne (who I know is not the coach but anyways..) is very high on Martinez and like what he has seen in practices.

Assuming Lee fully recovers from surgery, I believe the job is his to lose. But, (and I emphasize "but") who do you guys in your opinion think gets the starting nod? I genuinely want Cody Green to succeed at Nebraska, but if Taylor beats him out, then do we face the possibility of Green transferring? Or, if Taylor Martinez doesn't get the nod will he be content playing defense or do we risk him transferring? I realize a lot of this is pure speculation, but I would like to hear your thoughts. I think Martinez will be okay playing defense. He was told that from the beginning in his recruiting.

If Lee can't come back I'm rooting for Green.

I think Zac Lee goes into the fall with a slight advantage, but he must flash improved play making ability to keep the job. If Lee should falter in fall camp or early in the schedule, logic says Cody has a slight advantage. There are a lot of variables. The good news is that, as a fan, I feel at least some level of confidence in the coaching staff and their ability to pick the best guy. As for transfer speculation, I am sure someone will transfer. There are too many young guys there. One or two of the guys who lose out are bound to leave. That's just life, I guess.

If Green can't take the starting job this spring, hold onto it throughout the fall and into the season, then I don't think he's the type of player many of us think/hope him to be.

What do I want to have happen? I want Cody Green to be our starter. I hope he can be the player we all think he can be, and then we'll have him for another two years. I really hope he's the guy I think he is, which means he should be capable of taking the starting job.

What do I think will happen? I have a feeling Lee will probably be our starter against WKU.

I'm sure Tay-Mart is a heck of an athlete. So he could do great things at a number of positions. But to be a QB in this offense, he's going to need a LOT more than that. I'm sure maybe he gives both Tommie and TO some flashbacks to the option QBs like Crouch, but that's not the offense we have built here. Even if 2001 Eric Crouch stepped on campus he would probably be best at a different position, since the other 10 guys on that field aren't built for the same kind of football.

Well, that might be a stretch actually. Crouch was really a pretty good passer if I recall. Don't think you can say the same about TM unless he's developed in leaps and bounds.

On the topic of transfers I think Green or Martinez are fairly capable of playing QB, but obviously we can't have 3 starters. I would say that whoever is not in the top 2 will be moved to a new position. In both cases I see them being asked to move to WR because of their speed and in Green's case his size. This is strictly my opinion, but I think both players are too competitive and high class to not stick around at the school they committed to a work for a starting spot here rather than transfer.

When we get to the beginning of the season if Lee is number 1 then one of the two (Green T-mart) will be moved. If one of the young guys takes it they will leave both there since Lee graduates next year they may try to get more reps for the other young guy. Ultimately I see T-mart getting moved to WR and seeing time next year, but then developing into a solid threat and starter as time goes on. Lee is starter in the beginning with Green recieving more reps than last year and pushing him along. Perhaps even doing some plays specifically designed for Green, similar to Burkhead and the Wildcat.

I frankly don't care one whit who our QB is. Lee, Green, Washington, Martinez, Carnes, Kellogg, Spano... just don't care. If they move the ball, score TDs instead of FGs, don't turn the ball over and have the respect of their teammates, that's good enough for me. The name on the jersey is irrelevant.

• Fire 3

I frankly don't care one whit who our QB is. Lee, Green, Washington, Martinez, Carnes, Kellogg, Spano... just don't care. If they move the ball, score TDs instead of FGs, don't turn the ball over and have the respect of their teammates, that's good enough for me. The name on the jersey is irrelevant.

I think that is the best way anyone has put it all year.

Cody Green had better of made marked improvements from last year because he was not ready for the big time. One run against Arkansas State and one throw against Texas Tech don’t prove anything. The job is Lee’s to lose and if the Holiday Bowl Lee shows up then he won’t lose it. IMO – Spano, Washington, and Kellogg are non-factors. Spano because I find it hard to believe that after two knee surgeries he is anywhere near what he once was, Washington because he hasn’t played yet so why would he next year, and Kellogg is a long shot unless he has made leaps and bounds from when he was playing High School ball.

FWIW: If Lee has a solid year and Carnes or Turner are as good as advertised it is possible Cody Green never starts another game at NU. If that happened there would be a lot of “leg humpers” :leghump: around here that would have to change their signatures. <_<

I want to put out some scenarios to you guys and get your thoughts.

But before I do, I wanted to share with you that I had the opportunity to meet Tommie Frazier during an alumni event here in Washington State. During a Q&A session, the subject of QB was brought up. Tommie mentioned that Zac Lee had surgery and then talked about Taylor Martinez. He seemed very high on this kid. He also said that Tom Osborne (who I know is not the coach but anyways..) is very high on Martinez and like what he has seen in practices.

Assuming Lee fully recovers from surgery, I believe the job is his to lose. But, (and I emphasize "but") who do you guys in your opinion think gets the starting nod? I genuinely want Cody Green to succeed at Nebraska, but if Taylor beats him out, then do we face the possibility of Green transferring? Or, if Taylor Martinez doesn't get the nod will he be content playing defense or do we risk him transferring? I realize a lot of this is pure speculation, but I would like to hear your thoughts. I think Martinez will be okay playing defense. He was told that from the beginning in his recruiting.

If Lee can't come back I'm rooting for Green.

Unless Cody Green dramatically improves in every facet of his game, I am hard pressed to see him as any sort of front runner. His passing last season was horrific. He locks in on a receiver, throws into double coverage, is risky in decision making and has fewer picks than he would have otherwise only because he was so inaccurate throwing into crowds that he missed the whole crowd. As a runner, he runs up and down (body too high) and runs tentatively, falling down into contact (before or as contact is made). He did not shown vision running the ball or an innate ability to follow the block. He does have good straight ahead speed if he can get 3-4 strides under him and so he can cover turf --- but running in traffic, he was less effective really than was Lee. So..... I hope Lee gets better (health wise and as a football player) or that Martinez is the real deal, because Green looked very much out of place as both a thrower and as a runner.

Those who see Green as a potential QB must see something I have not seen. That said, he was young and he may very well improve dramatically in every aspect of his game. Who knows? But we sure need an upgrade at QB over last year... big time.

I think Green is all talk thus far. Granted he was a true freshman last year, his numbers still didn't impress anyone. He had plenty of chances to lead and impress... yet vs. Baylor he was shut down in the second half and threw an interception that was clearly readable by any cornerback. Vs. OU he couldn't move anything...TV said he "looked like a deer in headlights." He had a few good plays at the beginning of the season against some DIaa teams, but he didn't do squat in big games. He stares down his receivers and throws low, straight line bullet passes across multiple defenders paths. Yes he can scramble, Yes he has size, Yes he has a strong arm, Yes he is young and was thrown into a role too big for him at the time, Yes he has plenty of years to improve, Yes the coaches are high on him and he was ranked high coming out of high school... BUT, he has yet to show consistent accuracy on his passes, big play making ability, an ability to adjust and not stare down receivers, etc.

I think he has far too much to learn to be ready to play at the caliber we need this fall. He needs to make drastic improvements on many areas of his game... from what I hear... he has been improving in the off-season. But I do not see how one off-season will allow him enough time to make all the necessary improvements he needs to make. He may very well be the best overall option this spring with Lee out and Martinez with no game experience. But don't expect Cody Green to be a Vince Young, Michael Vick, or a Tyrod Taylor this fall.

If Green ends up being our best overall player, expect a lot of mistakes this year. It will be a learning year for a young QB. He'll throw interceptions, he'll fumble a few balls, he'll make some bad decisions, he'll choke under some big game pressures... BUT he will be better than last year, he will get better as the season goes on, he will be willing to work hard, and he will try to lead the team...

If you remember right, last spring we went into spring practice with a similar situation. Patrick Witt was expected to fight it out with Zach Lee... but Witt left before spring practice, Cody Green arrive in time and people thought Green might be a superstar QB who could beat out Lee by fall. Spano tore his ACL and was out, Washington was trying to switch from defense to offense, Joe Brokeimer got asked to play QB in his baseball offseason, etc.

Now let's talk Martinez... this kid can run. We know that. Coaches said he's the best runner. But what about the other elements of the game? Can he pass? Can he lead? Can he make good decisions? Can he read the defenses? Where does this kid struggle? The QB who wins out Spring Practice will be the one who edges out the others overall in several categories. Martinez might score a perfect 10 on scrambling and running... but Green might score 6's on Passing, Running, Decision Making, Managing, etc... and thus comes out of spring as the best available QB. Spring will tell us a lot... but throw in Lee in the summer 7on7's and it gets fun quick.

Can't wait for April 17th, but throw Lee into September and put on seatbelt for some QB Drama... : )

I'm sure Tay-Mart is a heck of an athlete. So he could do great things at a number of positions. But to be a QB in this offense, he's going to need a LOT more than that. I'm sure maybe he gives both Tommie and TO some flashbacks to the option QBs like Crouch, but that's not the offense we have built here. Even if 2001 Eric Crouch stepped on campus he would probably be best at a different position, since the other 10 guys on that field aren't built for the same kind of football.

Well, that might be a stretch actually. Crouch was really a pretty good passer if I recall. Don't think you can say the same about TM unless he's developed in leaps and bounds.

Crouch was a really good passer - if by passer you mean he passed a lot of people while running because he was really fast.

That is what you meant, right? Or else I'll have what you're having ;). :sarcasm (sarcasm in reference to use of "something" - no sarcasm when talking about Crouch's lack of throwing ability).

Remember, he couldn't even pitch the ball properly - he bent Diedricks facemask how many times during his final year?

And to be honest, I don't care who our QB is... and if Cody doesn't win the job this year why would we care if he transferred? It would obviously mean we missed on him...and that wouldn't be an insult it'd just be the truth.

The best kid at every position. If a walk-on is best - good. If the big recruit is best - fine. The past and high school laurels are irrelevant - they don't matter. The best kid at every position. Regardless of last name or visual appeal. Matt Turman would have been welcomed last year had he arrived via Bill and Ted.

I'm personally very excited to see what Taylor Martinez can do with the extra reps this spring. I truly believe he could sneak his way into this race (and if not this year, be the started next year instead of Green). Taylor was a rock star in the toughest conference in Cali and was just awesome for them. Taylor may never play a snap at QB but I am excited to see what he does this spring.