A texas fans opinion

ADS

You like how one of their poster said one of the four reasons we aren't good is because we don't run the wishbone anymore?

:rollin

popular opinion is that we ran the wishbone, which we did run some wishbone but Oklahoma ran the wishbone whereas we ran more of a triple option/the option out of multiple formations.

We didn't even run the option that much, only once every 5-6 plays or so.

thats not entirely true. we ran what is called the i-option, which is essentially running the option out of the I formation as well as throwing in some play action passing and power running game. but our base offense was the i-option, we just did not run the traditional option but every 5 or 6 plays...

We'll I'm not sure exactly how isos, counters, traps and other simple power running plays have an 'option' element, but I am not a football guru, I just make assumptions based on what I see.

The only point I was getting at is that other teams that are called "option" teams have their entire offensive package, or 90%+ of it revolve out of some sort of option look, but what I saw with Nebraska of old (at least the 90's) was an I formation power running game with option plays making up a significant number of snaps, but nowhere near all of them.

To me, the Huskers of the 90's were "Multiple" before multiple was cool. I dont believe Osborne even called his offense anything including the word "option," did he? Anyone have any quotes on what exactly he did call it?

remembered this great interview....

Osborne-Wash Post

How much have you watched of Georgia Tech’s offense, and how similar is what Coach Paul Johnson is doing now, compared to what you ran at Nebraska?

I’ve watched them on a couple of occasions, and I think I saw Paul’s team last year against Georgia. There’s some similarity in that they run a very, very high percentage of options. We would run maybe 25 to 30 percent was option football. We were more of a traditional I-formation team. We ran a lot of option out of the I. There was a game or two we used the double-wing with options, very similar to what they’re doing. Matter of fact, the last game I coached, in 1997 against Tennessee in the Orange Bowl, we ran a version of that offense maybe 25 to 30 percent of the game, and it was pretty effective. Everything’s a little different, but a lot of what they’re doing is similar.

Sorry to get off topic...but good gawd I loved that double wing, with the option-fake-stepback-and-bomb-it-down-the-field. It seemed like at home games, every Husker fan knew when that play was coming and were on their feet before the ball was even snapped.

The guy is arrogant, but we are a pretty delusional fan base most of the time.

Couldnt agree more. Not many fanbases that like the smell of their own farts more than good Ol' Big Red. That people will argue this claim only validates the point to me. :dunno

Ahh! and I had Mexican for dinner. :boxosoap

You like how one of their poster said one of the four reasons we aren't good is because we don't run the wishbone anymore?

:rollin

popular opinion is that we ran the wishbone, which we did run some wishbone but Oklahoma ran the wishbone whereas we ran more of a triple option/the option out of multiple formations.

Well yeah, that's kind of my point.

Implying we ran the "wishbone" is to say that we used that formation most of the time, which we did not.