Westboro Baptist Church

It's really a terrible thing what is happening with this church, but my initial feelings every time I hear about this are closer defined as "sadness" I guess. I think what they are doing is terrible, but I've wanted to be at an event they are so I could talk to them and try to understand exactly what it is they think they believe in, and hopefully challenge those beliefs through love.

I hate what they do, but I want to help them realize what life is really about.

Have you never seen them in person? They were at my church a while back. They're a pretty zealous bunch. There's no reasoning with them.

I haven't, actually.

They're going to be here in about a week. I should probably lock myself up the night that they are in town (but there is a pretty good counter protest building)

It saddens me that there will be a counter protest. That is exactly what the Westboro Baptist Church wants. The quickest way to anger them/shut them up would be for everyone to totally ignore them. No media coverage . . . no crowd watching their antics . . . nothing. If everyone went about their business like the WBC people weren't even there they'd probably feel like they wasted their time.

Treating them with love and respect would work even better than ignoring them I feel.

Wanting to treat them with love and respect is a loss cause. Seriously, go to godhatesfags.com and you will see what I'm talking about. Specifically pay attention to the "written" portion of the website, where people will write in and the website leader will respond. She is utterly rude to everybody, even people saying they like their work. If you say "Hey, I want to join" they will tell you "There is no help for you, you are pitiful, come now and save yourself from doomed America" ya da ya da ya da. They will insult everybody and anybody, even those just asking about their "cause".

Second of all, there is no reasoning with them. Their main focus/hate is homosexuality. They hate America for allowing homosexuality, and they hate soldiers for protecting the place that allows homosexuality. They don't seem to get, however, that the only reason they are allowed to stand on street corners is because of the thousands that risked their lives and died years ago to GIVE them that right.

Youtube Hannity and Colmes (sp?) Westboro Baptist Church, and you will see what I mean. There is no reasoning with them. You can love them all you want, but they will take that love, chew it up, and spit it right back in your face. The WBC has KIDS holding these signs, teaching them their ways. They're sick and sadistic.

As a side note: I think some of you may be misinterpreting some of the WBC and S.C. talk. Mr. Snyder doesn't want to take away their right to say what they say (well, I'm sure he does, but he can't legally). He wants the right for people to bury their loved ones without protesters or picketers. They can stand on the street corner all they want, but he doesn't want them to have the capability of standing outside a soldiers funeral. Snyder often speaks about "the right to bury your loved ones in privacy", or something of the sort. Whether that will fall under the 1st Amendment or something else, idk.

Doesn't matter if they accept it or not, it's still more likely to get them to stop. They may not appreciate it, but they will obviously realize that what they are doing is not having it's intended effect.

Again, refer to my post. They will not stop until they are all dead, the world ends, or nobody pays attention to them anymore.

Landlord, what you propose is very noble and takes a strong, good person to want to try.

Lets put it this way though--Say I believe the only way to make people see the 'light' is to treat them like crap, call them names, and generally spew hate. It works! I know it! If I can just show people, they will listen...you're not going to change me with your love and understanding any more than I change you with my hate and disgust. Both sides are absolute in their beliefs, and truly reside within them.

Walking away is sometimes the correct action, and also the most difficult to believe in.

oh yeah....WBC can suck my boot.

Point taken, but I think the difference is that love/caring/affection/whatever is something that every human being feels and yearns for in some way or another, so regardless of how nasty or set in their ways someone is I think there is always hope to get through to them through love. That's just my opinion.

Point taken, but I think the difference is that love/caring/affection/whatever is something that every human being feels and yearns for in some way or another, so regardless of how nasty or set in their ways someone is I think there is always hope to get through to them through love. That's just my opinion.

I think it's a blessing that you haven't yet met someone so entrenched in their point of view that nothing you can do will budge them. Those are not pleasant people. Dealing with them is difficult. Hopefully you never have to deal with those kinds of people.

• Fire 1

I have met people like that, I just refuse to give up all hope that people can't change, no matter how blinded or hardened they become. I'm probably being naive, but I would take naivety that inspires me to do good over being realistic and giving up any day.

The quickest way to anger them/shut them up would be for everyone to totally ignore them. No media coverage . . . no crowd watching their antics . . . nothing. If everyone went about their business like the WBC people weren't even there they'd probably feel like they wasted their time.

this I agree with....the whole reason they do their protests is to get attention. They're like little kids throwing temper tantrums.

You're a biblical man. Go read I Kings 18 about Elijah and the priests of Baal. Read Mark 11 about Jesus and the money changers. Read Matthew 10 where Jesus sends His disciples out into the world. There's no wisdom in holding on to false hope.

That just seems like righteous indignation on the part of Jesus, which I absolutely have towards the members of that "church". However, the fact still remains that we are to love everyone, and I have tried figuring out exactly how to do that in life, and the best answer I have come up with for myself is to wish, hope and pray for others to lead great lives, and if the opportunity presents itself, to encourage it.

Sorry for taking this topic off-track a bit guys.

I think there's a certain point to that; if they're just ignored they'll feel haughty and superior, bold crusaders among a sea of vermin.

Plus, I think a little man-to-man (or woman-to-woman) smooching could go a long way! :lol:

It doesn't go as far as you would think. I know a guy who tried this drove by one of tgheir protests, yelled to get their attention and kissed his buddy on the cheak. The protesters than followed them untill they through a cup out the windowm. WBC filmed it and a week later he was given a ticket for littering. (The story is second hand but I fully believe it)