I went golfing for the first time a week before Thanksgiving and I was quite surprised that I enjoyed it soo much. I still can't stand watching it on TV but playing the sport is a different story. I'm looking at purchasing a whole set but I don't know what are some good brands and I'd like to keep it around the $400-$500 range. I know theres Callaway, Taylor Made, Nike, Wilson, etc but there are several different models of each brand to choose from so I don't know whats better over the others. I'd like to get a good brand at a low cost but will be good in quality that will help my game and to last me a few years. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I would recommend going to your local golf store and hitting sets of clubs to find the right clubs for you. Don't just buy a pair because of what they are, or what brand they are. All the big names are going to work fine, but there are Mizuno's, Golden Bears, etc. that will work just fine as well. I'd recommend buying a cheaper set to learn the game and then upgrade from there. I went from a set of Golden Bears to a set of Nike's once I started getting better. Good luck, it's an addiction. :thumbs

• Fire 1

:yeah

I agree 100%. and most golf shops have some used name brand irons in good shape you can get cheap also if you are stuck on the name brands. I would go to the shop and have a sales person help you pick out the right clubs. hit a few it is amazing what they can do to help you with your game and a set of clubs.

• Fire 1

As others have said, go to Dick's or whatever local store that allows you to test clubs. Find ones you like, tell the sales person you "just aren't quite sure yet", and then buy them online to save money. You can always have them sized later. If you still aren't sure if you want to play golf long term, then buy a good used set from a local shop or get a cheap set from walmart. Then if you don't find yourself in love like the rest of us, you aren't out $400. JMHO.

• Fire 1

You want oversized heads on your irons, with a cavity in the back. This gives you a larger sweet spot, so you have more room for error. Hybrids (head looks more like a thinner wood) for your lower numbered irons (3, 4, maybe 5) are also usually easier to hit too. For price I would probably start with steel shafts, unless you really like the feel of a graphite shaft and are willing to pay extra for it. You can drop a bundle on a driver, but a beginning golfer is usually better off hitting a 3 wood from the tees, so skimp on the driver for now and add a good one later.

I don't know what to say on brands because most earn their rep on their higher end sets, so I don't know how TaylorMade's $500 clubs compare to Wilson at that level. As others are saying, if it swings right for you, you'll probably be fine.

You might also look at craigslist or wherever for a cheap used set, from someone who is moving up. As long as the heads aren't nicked up you'll be ok. Compare the grips on a short iron (wedge or 9) likely to have been used a lot to a rarely used club like a 3 iron. If there's a lot of difference you'll want new grips so account for that in price--not sure of the price to re-grip these days, maybe $100/set? You don't want clubs that are slipping in your hands.

• Fire 1

As a Golf Professional, I can offer a little insight here. Most of what people here are recommending is pretty solid. Brand really has no bearing on quality (at least not at this level). I would typically recommend getting fitted. But since you are so new to the game, I would buy something off the rack (as long as you aren't really tall or short you should be fine). Don't let anyone talk you into getting fitted at this point. Your swing will be nowhere consistent enough to provide solid readings on fitting equipment. What VA recommended with the irons and hybrids is pretty accurate. They will be much easier to hit if they look like this:

Titleist%20695CB1.jpg

than if they have no cavity like this:

Titleist%20695MB1.jpg

I would recommend getting a driver, but don't spend much (at least 10 degrees of loft). Spend the majority of your search and budget on the irons. As others mentioned, try before you buy. I would stay away from retail (Dicks) outlets and head to a golf course that allows you to test them on the range. Hitting into a net will only tell you how the club feels. Hitting it off real grass and outside can show you a lot more.

With the total budget you gave, you could get a really nice used set. I would wait to by a new one until you have grooved your swing a bit more, and then get fitted if you are serious about continuing to play. If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask. Best of luck and happy golfing.

• Fire 1

Completely agree with VA Husker Fan on the cavity back for irons. You should be able to find a decent set for $500. I can't tell you what the best cavity back set is as I play Mizuno blades. I will say that Callaway has been I big time player in the cavity back area, more so than Nike, Titleist, Mizuno, etc IMO. A brand new set will cost you a more around $700 so I would suggest buying used to start.

If you are in Omaha, go to Classic Golf on Dodge (I want to say about 50th and Dodge - haven't been in a while). I purchased a set of Tommy Armour 845s used a while back and used them for nearly 10 years. They have a knowledgeable staff and a huge selection of used clubs in the basement.

I would definitely go with steel shafts on your irons and graphite for your woods. You probably want a regular flex in your shafts until you start getting better. This is as important as the cavity back vs. blade debate. If swing over 100 mph, think about stiff flex. I swing consistently at about 105-110 and I have stiff flex in my irons and a tour stiff flex in my driver.

You can also go to Austad's and hit balls with guy helping you out. Talking about skill sets with someone will go along way. I'd suggest at least doing this initally so you can narrow down what you want. Austad's, Classic Golf, most all stores will let you hit balls.

Stop by your local Play It Again Sports or what ever 'local recycler of sports equipment' type store you have. You can occasionally find a good set there, good woods too. Country club players are always changing clubs thinking they can fix their game with the latest new clubs. If you don't find anything there shop for a middle of the line set from one of good manufacturers, Taylormade, Ping, Titelist, Calloway. The important thing to do at this point in time is that you don't over-spend on equipment. Your best spent money will be on lessons from a good Pro in your area and lots of time at the range. In the spring I usually play several 9 hole rounds with 30 to 45 mins on the range before and after the round. Lastly, your mantra should be "accurate shots beat long shots." A good goal is 'three on and two putts is bogey golf.' If you play bogey golf you will be better than 75 to 80 percent of the people who play. The last, last thing, always putt out the rules don't say anything about gimmies.

T_O_B

:)

A lot of good advice in this thread, so I don't hacve much to add. I did want to give a shout out to Eliot1171, I am also a golf professional and a PGA member since 1994. I do however work at Dick's, so I am on the "evil side" of the business. I was green grass for 12 years prior to the move to Dick's.

For your budget there are tons of choices. Used clubs are definitely a good option. You may try looking online at 3balls.com once you have found something you like, they have some pretty good prices on name brand clubs.

Just realize that this will be the first set of MANY once you get hooked, so don't get too carried away with the technical stuff. I would however recommend that what you save on clubs you use on lessons from a PGA Professional. Quality lessons will pay huge dividends in your overall enjoyment of the game.

Good Luck!!!

It's like heroin only legal; less of course you are shooting up while you are shooting :)

I started in 1998 and on a good day shoot in the 80's, that's the temp :laughpound no really I do hit in the 80's but mostly 90-100+ as older age creeps in.

All the advice is sound. I rented a set of Southpaw clubs at North 40 in Lincoln for my first game with my son and Uncle and haven't stopped, except for buying more clubs.

Good luck and

GBR

• Fire 1

Just picked up a nice used set of Orlimars complete with hybrids, Driver and woods for $130 at the pawn shop. I went online and bought some wedges from Linksman Golf 52,56 & 60 degree for $45. Got a pretty nice set with bag for under $200.

Don't be afraid to take a full swing with those wedges.

T_O_B

HJ

I learned how to play with a full set I bought from Sam's, i think they were Spaulding. Once I got the hang of things I got fitted and upgraded, but just like everyone has said here, learn to get comfy with your swing and save your dough for awhile. If interested, i think i still have the full set of irons, they are just in my garage. If you are interested PM and they are yours. They have graphite shafts.

edit: I hope your first time out wasn't at Covington! I have never went through a bag full of balls faster in my life until I golfed over there. That course is a ball eatin SOB!