Nesseth out for season

He's been on fire lately, but now we are down another player. Not sure how this will affect the team the rest of the way. Anyone have some thoughts??

LINK

It always sucks to lose a pitcher that has secured a spot - especially when the level of our pitching staff is so low. My heart goes out to Mike Nesseth, and I wish him a recovery that allows him to pursue baseball at the next level...or even better, that he can get a medical redshirt and come back to Nebraska for another year.

Either way, very few of our pitchers have been solid this year...including Nesseth. He's had a few good relief appearances, but a few poor showings as well. We've seen moments of brilliance from Hauptman and Mariot, and moments of the two doing less than what needs to be done.

Chase Adams was a nice surprise against North Dakota, and let's hope that he can keep up his relief effort while perhaps working himself into the weekend starting rotation. He's had a few good outings. We need reliable relievers and closers, or any combination of the two. At this point, it seems as if we have neither.

The ONE thing we're missing though, is a reliable closer. I don't think I've seen a proven closer at Nebraska since 2005. Maybe Jensen in 2006? I'm not sure.

He's been on fire lately, but now we are down another player. Not sure how this will affect the team the rest of the way. Anyone have some thoughts??

LINK

It always sucks to lose a pitcher that has secured a spot - especially when the level of our pitching staff is so low. My heart goes out to Mike Nesseth, and I wish him a recovery that allows him to pursue baseball at the next level...or even better, that he can get a medical redshirt and come back to Nebraska for another year.

Either way, very few of our pitchers have been solid this year...including Nesseth. He's had a few good relief appearances, but a few poor showings as well. We've seen moments of brilliance from Hauptman and Mariot, and moments of the two doing less than what needs to be done.

Chase Adams was a nice surprise against North Dakota, and let's hope that he can keep up his relief effort while perhaps working himself into the weekend starting rotation. He's had a few good outings. We need reliable relievers and closers, or any combination of the two. At this point, it seems as if we have neither.

The ONE thing we're missing though, is a reliable closer. I don't think I've seen a proven closer at Nebraska since 2005. Maybe Jensen in 2006? I'm not sure.

:yeah

LINK

:yeah

Nesseth came here and redshirted his 1st season, so he was a draft-eligible SOPHOMORE last year. This year he is a junior, so in all likelihood he'll come back next year to prove that his injury wont affect what he'll be able to do in the pro ranks.. as far as a medical year, i don't know for sure how they work.. I would assume we'll have to wait until after next season to know if he'll even apply for let alone receive a medical redshirt.

As far as a closer, I like what Adams has done so far this year, not just yesterday against ND.. I think he's our go-to guy in that situation.. It's nice to have a guy that can go more than an inning also though..