Rex Burkhead Interview

the part about martinez is very interesting....

very interesting about martinez, anxious to see if he closes the gap between him and green

or if he already has. seems to be a lot of talk about how much he is progressing as a qb by alot of players and coaches, seems to be a team favorite....i wouldnt be surprised if green ends up as 3rd string this season and never plays another starting down at NU again. throwing a freshman into the fire like we did to him can cause irrepairable damage...just sayin......

Ive been tootin Martinez' horn since last spring, and found it ridiculous that people were basically writing him off because Green was so hyped...Green played as a true freshman.... blah blah blah. Taylor makes your jaw drop with some of the things he does on the field, he was/is just really, really raw. He's a freak physically, makes those WTF type of escapes. Patience in quarterback development seems to be a lost virtue not just in Nebraska, but across the nation. If a guy doesnt walk on campus firing rockets while making all the reads and line calls, he's discounted from the get go.

B/R: Who's impressed you the most on the defensive side of the ball this spring?

Rex Burkhead: "Man, there's so many guys out there. I'd have to go with the safeties. Lance Thorell and PJ Smith, they've been real impressive. They've had a lot of pass breakups, so I'd go with them."

Great to hear! Since so many Internets people--me included--have concerns about the safety positions.

the part about martinez is very interesting....

Martinez was a stud coming out of high school. He fits the mold of the future QB's. (Carnes & Turner) He beat De La Salle in the state championship in California a couple years ago and lead Centennial HS to an undefeated season and they were one of the top teams in the nation.

He was the LA Times Player of the Year in 2008 and played for one of the top teams in the nation.

I watched some of the De La Salle championship game and he was amazing.

This offense will be facing a lot of 3rd and short opportunities, so a mobile QB will be needed to convert and keep drives going.

He may be the number one QB coming out of spring ball. We have about two weeks until we find out.

I don't forsee him playing a whole lot this year. He's only a RsFr... so he's still got 4 years to play. If he is a freak the staff will want to really develop him before sending him in, they won't want to send him in before he's mentally ready even if he is physically ready. My guess... Lee or Green will get most of the snaps and Martinez will get worked in to get him some good experience... next year he will be placed in some high pressure situations and will most likely get a good majority of snaps and the following year (his Jr year) he will start.

We have a good problem this year at QB... we have so many we can play how will we get them all in? haha. Lee, Green, Washington, Martinez, Spano.... 5 guys ready to go. You might even see Green red-shirted if Washington and Martinez or Spano are good enough to play backups. That would give us 3 guys, and Cody another year to develop and play. Who know's how this all all work out though!!! But I know one thing... I don't even care if it means we have the problem that 3 guys could start and we have to choose one. Bring on the depth!!

I like the way next year looks too...

We'll have Cody Green as a Jr or RsSo, Spano as a Jr, Martinez as a So, Brion Carnes as a Fr (assuming he redshirts this year), and then Jamal Turner will be here in the spring so he'll have a semester ahead of him before his first season with NU. If NU goes after 2 QB's in the 2011 class the position could potentially look like this...

Cody Green (Jr or RsSo)

Kody Spano (Jr)

Taylor Martinez (So)

Brion Carnes (RsFr)

Jamal Turner (TrFr)

Another 2011 (TrFr)

Imagine 2012...

Green (Sr or RsJr)

Spano (Sr)

Martinez (Jr)

Carnes (So)

Turner (RsFr)

The other 2011 guy (RsFr)

a 2012 guy... (TrFr)

talk about depth.

i'll admit i'm sorta deaf on the whole TM thing... haven't watched video on him but knew he was this stud over back in cali... so my question is if he is such a stud why isn't he being considered more? Whats the knock on him? Just a development issue? I mean CG first year he sucked balls and started a few games and we know how that went.... so is TM an even more unpolished diamond in the rough... personally i am weary of that.... i'd like a QB (easy for me to say at home on my computer granted) to go out there be ready and have as small of learning curve as possible...

i believe to have this happen involves talent, a lot of luck, intelligence, and a good over all skill set... we are coming to a year very important to us and i'd hope we get a guy in there who isn't perhaps a work in progress type of QB but someone confident and REAdy to lead..

while i think CG TM or whoever have skills perhaps the coaches feel that ZAc lee is (or hopefully will be) game ready to lead....

i'll admit i'm sorta deaf on the whole TM thing... haven't watched video on him but knew he was this stud over back in cali... so my question is if he is such a stud why isn't he being considered more? Whats the knock on him? Just a development issue? I mean CG first year he sucked balls and started a few games and we know how that went.... so is TM an even more unpolished diamond in the rough... personally i am weary of that.... i'd like a QB (easy for me to say at home on my computer granted) to go out there be ready and have as small of learning curve as possible...

i believe to have this happen involves talent, a lot of luck, intelligence, and a good over all skill set... we are coming to a year very important to us and i'd hope we get a guy in there who isn't perhaps a work in progress type of QB but someone confident and REAdy to lead..

while i think CG TM or whoever have skills perhaps the coaches feel that ZAc lee is (or hopefully will be) game ready to lead....

The knock on him is that he is an athlete trying to play quarterback.

I think we have huge Depth at quarterback this year and next year. It should be interesting to see who wins at the position. Especially next year with Turner coming in and Brion Carnes being a sophmore and Cody Green being a junior next year.

Also on that note, I'm still iffy about Zac Lee. I mean I know he just got out of surgery and everything but all these younger quarterbacks have been working and working and trying to get better and better. While Zac can't because of his recovery. I kind of feel bad for him because all these younger guys who are working hard at beating him for the job while he can just watch.