***European Soccer Thread***

Javier Pastore Sold To Paris Saint Germain

Palermo president Maurizio Zamparini has confirmed that a deal has been reached to sell Javier Pastore to Paris St Germain for $43 million.

"[We] closed the deal last night (Friday) around midnight. Basically it's the official transfer of Pastore to Paris St Germain based on a $43 million fee," 60-year-old Zamparini told Radio Radio.

OFFICIAL: Steven Gerrard Out Until September

Liverpool has confirmed Steven Gerrard will miss the start to the season as he recovers from an infection picked up this week. The infection relates to a long-standing groin injury and the midfielder is currently being treated with antibiotics at a hospital.

Liverpool released the following statement on their official website: "Steven Gerrard today began a course of antibiotic treatment for an infection related to an ongoing groin problem. He is expected to remain in hospital for several days while the precautionary procedure is completed. The player will then return to Melwood to continue his rehabilitation programme and is expected to be available for selection in September."

Report: Barcelona Wants Cesc Fabregas To Help Fund Move By Giving Up $4 Million

The Daily Mirror is reporting Arsenal captain Cesc Fabregas may have to give up around $4 million of his salary in order to move back to Barcelona. The 24-year-old is Barcelona's remaining transfer target, but the Spanish giants have yet to submit a bid which matches Arsenal's $40 million valuation of their skipper.

European football’s longest transfer sagas appears to be nearing a conclusion, with Arsene Wenger reportedly keen to finalize the sale of his captain so he can reinvest the money in his squad.

Barcelona's Ibrahim Affelay Out 5 Weeks With Hamstring Tear

Barcelona has confirmed on their official website that Ibrahim Afellay will miss up to 5 weeks with a hamstring tear he picked up during their exhibition with Manchester United on Saturday. The injury occurred in the first half when Afellay held his left leg and pulled up lame and was quickly replaced by Isaac Cuenca.

OFFICIAL: Antonio Valencia Signs 4 Year Contract With Manchester United

Antonio Valencia has signed a 4 year contract with Manchester United, the club has confirmed. Upon signing his new deal, Valencia told the club's official website: "I am delighted to stay at United. Since my first day at Carrington, I have been happy here. I hope that I can continue to develop as a player. I am looking forward to making my contribution to helping this squad compete for more trophies."

Santos Will Not Sell Neymar

Santos president Luis Alvaro Ribeiro has revealed Real Madrid's bid for Neymar has been rejected. "We have no interest in selling him and we will communicate this formally," Ribeiro is quoted as saying by Lancenet.com. "It is the same proposal, we had the deadline to respond until the end of the month, and I had already indicated that the answer would be 'no' and I will make it formal on Monday," added the president. "They offered two choices: take him now or later, but we do not want it."

"It is complicated, I do not know if they would pay the release clause, but there is a long battle which protects us," he said.

"Santos are not a tiny little club, we will play the Club World Cup."

Santos is determined to hold onto Neymar until after the Club World Cup. His buyout clause is rumored to be $40 million.

OFFICIAL: Juventus Signs Mirko Vucinic From Roma For $15 Million

After passing a medical on Monday morning, Juventus has announced that the transfer has been finalized. A statement released by the club reads: "Juventus Football Club S.p.A. announces that the agreement with A.S. Roma S.p.A. for the definitive acquisition of the registration rights of the player Mirko Vucinic has been finalized. The contract envisages the payment by Juventus of $15 million in three years. Juventus and the player have signed a 4-year contract of employment."

Pep Guardiola Hints At Cesc Fabregas Signing

Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola has dropped his biggest hint yet that the club is only looking to sign Arsenal midfielder Cesc Fabregas before the close of the transfer season. "There is one signing left and you all know who it is," Guardiola told the press. A report in the Daily Mirror on Monday suggested Barcelona wants Fabregas to accept a $4 million pay cut in exchange for a move to the Camp Nou.

UPDATE: Cesc apparently met with Arsene Wenger and Ivan Gazidis (Arsenal's director of football) on Friday to discuss a move to Barcelona, even if it means lowering his wages. Radio Marca is also reporting Barcelona made a final $37 million offer.

Pep Guardiola Hints At Cesc Fabregas Signing

Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola has dropped his biggest hint yet that the club is only looking to sign Arsenal midfielder Cesc Fabregas before the close of the transfer season. "There is one signing left and you all know who it is," Guardiola told the press. A report in the Daily Mirror on Monday suggested Barcelona wants Fabregas to accept a $4 million pay cut in exchange for a move to the Camp Nou.

UPDATE: Cesc apparently met with Arsene Wenger and Ivan Gazidis (Arsenal's director of football) on Friday to discuss a move to Barcelona, even if it means lowering his wages. Radio Marca is also reporting Barcelona made a final $37 million offer.

So sick of this transfer saga. It needs to end. He will just provide depth to Barca. They have better players in La Masia and on their bench already...like Thiago. I don't think they should be spending 37 million on him.

I'm also ready for Financial Fair Play to come into effect. As much as I love the transfer windows, having Barcelona spend 70-80 million and only sell 10-20 million worth while they are 600+ million in debt is just ridiculous. Also, the valuations of these players out of of control!

OFFICIAL: Chelsea Signs Barcelona Midfielder Oriol Romeu

A statement on the club's official website reads: "Chelsea Football Club is delighted to announce the signing of Oriol Romeu Vidal from Barcelona on a four-year-contract. The 19-year-old will join us once his duties with Spain's U20 World Cup squad in Colombia are complete."

The transfer fee is $5 million. The deal includes a buy-back clause of 10 million Euros after a year, rising to 15 after the second year.

OFFICIAL: Sporting Lisbon Signs Barcelona's Jeffren For $3.7 Million

Sporting Lisbon has announced to the Portuguese stock market (CMVM) that they have signed Barcelona winger Jeffren for $3.7 million. The 23-year-old midfielder has penned a 5 year contract with a $30 million buy-out clause inserted into the deal.

Sporting has revealed Barcelona will be entitled to 20% of the profit any future sale of Jeffren generates. Barcelona revealed on Thursday morning they will have the chance to buy back Jeffren for $8 million at the end of the 2011-12 season, and for $12 million once the 2012-13 campaign comes to an end.

Carlos Tevez To Miss Community Shield Against Manchester United

Manchester City has allowed Carlos Tevez to delay his return to England and miss the Community Shield clash with Manchester United on Sunday. Tevez missed the club’s pre-season tour of the USA after appearing in the Copa America, and a club spokesman confirmed that this was the reason for his extended absence. "Carlos has now been given extended leave so he can return on Monday, which is 21 days after Argentina's exit from the Copa America," said the spokesman.

Gabriel Milito & Barcelona Part Ways

A statement on FC Barcelona's official website reads: "The 30 year old Argentinian central defender is leaving Barça, after four seasons with the first team. FC Barcelona and Gabriel Alejandro Milito have reached an agreement to release the Argentinian, whose contract expires on 30th June 2012."

sounds like Pep didn't want him anymore