CB Tevin Mitchel

Nexus

The kids from Texas that have committed to us know full well that we are now a Big Ten school. But yet Turner and Mitchell remain committed. :dunno

Maybe Nebraska as a Big Ten school CAN recruit the state of Texas.

shocking, huh? and how the hell did we pull turner gill and broderick thomas out of texas back in the day? or the peter brothers from jersey...or lucky from california...or mike brown from arizona...or suh from oregon...or tommie from florida...or neil smith from new orleans...or raiola from hawaii, etc, etc.

we are a national program and will continue to recruit nationally regardless of our conference affiliation. while it's possible this move might shift our focus slightly towards the east, we will remain heavily invested in recruiting texas and it will continue to pay dividends. :bigredn::koolaid2:

i think it might suffer but we're not going to be on life suport...... i think a lot of recruits will desire to see us in the big 10 and will come rahter than playing in a weakened two team big 12

i dont think it will be two bad.....

winning always helps with recruiting. you put a good team on the field and have a good tradition, you will be able to get players.

it is a 7 day a week, 365 days a year process. if our staff puts in the work, they will be rewarded.

Loyyd Carr always recruited Texas fairly decent as well...nothing major but he would pluck a couple out of there every year or so.

Edit: Nope I guess they didn't recruit texas well at all...they only got three from 02-07..seems like they got more though.

Michigan did quite well in Texas in 2007 and 2008. In 2007, they signed the #1 player in Texas. In 2008, they signed the #5, #34, and #38 players in Texas. All of these were 4 or 5 star players.

Interview with Tevin from N2FL.COM

N2FL: What kind of things do you do for fun?

T.M.: Go to the movies and hang out with friends.

N2FL: At what age did you start playing football?

T.M.: At 15

N2FL: What was your favorite college team growing up?

T.M.: I didn't really have one, but I grew up watching Arkansas.

N2FL: Have a favorite NFL Team?

T.M.: Philadelphia Eagles and Minnesota Vikings

N2FL: Which is better, the NFL or college?

T.M.: I say the NFL.

N2FL: What do you think of the current BCS system? Would you prefer a playoff?

T.M.: Yes, I think there should be a playoff system.

N2FL: Do you try and emulate any specific player?

T.M.: yes

N2FL: Any particular reason for the jersey number?

T.M.: No, I just like the number #8.

N2FL: When and who was your first scholarship offer?

T.M.: Sometime in March and it was from Arkansas.

N2FL: How many scholarship offers do you currently have?

T.M.: 19

N2FL: You committed to Nebraska in early June, why did you decide to end your recruitment early?

T.M.: I had long talks with my parents for a couple of weeks and we all said Nebraska was the place for me.

N2FL: What are your thoughts on Nebraska moving to the 'Big 10'?

T.M.: Moving to the Big 10 does not matter to me. I don't care where Nebraska moves to.

N2FL: In addition to "National Letter of Intent Day' in February, should there be an early signing period like college basketball? Perhaps in August or November?

T.M.: No, I like just waiting until February.

N2FL: What were some of the considerations when choosing your school?

T.M.: Playing time, the way the school runs their defense and having good relationships with the coaches and players.

N2FL: Are there any schools who continue to recruit you despite your commitment?

T.M.: I am not sure.

N2FL: Did you attend Nebraska's Spring Game?

T.M.: No, but I tried.

N2FL: Who was your lead recruiter at Nebraska?

T.M.: RB coach, Tim Beck

N2FL: Despite your pledge to the Huskers, will you take any "official visits" anywhere else?

T.M.: Yes, I might.

N2FL: Was there another school(s) in consideration before you pulled the trigger on the Cornhuskers, and what was it about Nebraska that ultimately sold you on them?

T.M.: Arkansas and Oklahoma. Nebraska is just the school for me. I prayed every night to God asking him to help me pick the right school that would be good for me and Nebraska was the one.

N2FL: What is the most annoying aspect of the recruiting process?

T.M.: Nothing really.

N2FL: Where does Nebraska plan on playing you?

T.M.: Cornerback

N2FL: What do you view as some of your playing strengths?

T.M.: I am a hard worker, I never give up, I run to the ball and my overall speed and physicality.

N2FL: What are some things you would like to work on between now and college?

T.M.: My physicality, speed and coverage. It never hurts to keep trying to improve or get better at something just because you're good at it already. I want to be the best!

N2FL: How would you feel about Redshirting?

T.M.: I'm not sure yet.

N2FL: Do you have a major in mind?

T.M.: Business and Management

N2FL: What are your goals for your senior season?

T.M.: Get faster and be better than I was last year and the year before.

N2FL: Do you have any individual goals for your college career?

T.M.: no

N2FL: What will you miss the most about high school?

T.M.: Friday Night Lights

N2FL: What is the craziest recruiting "pitch" you have heard so far?

T.M.: I'm not sure.

N2FL: Have you communicated with any prospective recruits about attending Nebraska with you?

T.M.: Jamal Turner, but he was already going to Nebraska.

N2FL: Who has been the biggest influence in your life?

T.M.: My Dad

N2FL: Despite your pledge to the Huskers, will you take any "official visits" anywhere else?

while i wouldn't come down too hard on the kid, it sounds like he may need a reminder about the NU definition of a commit.

pretty good interview though and sounds like a good kid.

while i wouldn't come down too hard on the kid, it sounds like he may need a reminder about the NU definition of a commit.

Yeah. I don't think Bo lets that fly...

Yeah. I don't think Bo lets that fly...

humm very interesting.. dont know i feel about this per say... doesn't worry me just yet but this can be the kind of road that leads to a player going elsewhere... being wined and dined and promises promises....... you know its gonna happen.. we sometimes are the benificiaries sometimes of this too... i just hate to lose this kid as i think he is one of the gems of the class soo far.........

• 2 weeks later...

Update

In an article today he says he's solid to Nebraska, that he doesn't get much contact from other schools except for the occasional letter anymore, that he's in contact with Tyler Moore and Jamal Turner (who are doing more work than most probably realize to keep this class in order), and that he hopes to visit officially around the time of the Texas game.

Personally I'm always nervous about recruits who don't visit the campus before committing, especially if they have no family ties to the institution. Every situation is unique, but that's my feeling. If Nebraska has the expected defensive production and Prince goes first round, hopefully that will be enough to seal the deal, along with the eventual visit.

Update

In an article today he says he's solid to Nebraska, that he doesn't get much contact from other schools except for the occasional letter anymore, that he's in contact with Tyler Moore and Jamal Turner (who are doing more work than most probably realize to keep this class in order), and that he hopes to visit officially around the time of the Texas game.

Personally I'm always nervous about recruits who don't visit the campus before committing, especially if they have no family ties to the institution. Every situation is unique, but that's my feeling. If Nebraska has the expected defensive production and Prince goes first round, hopefully that will be enough to seal the deal, along with the eventual visit.

And especially if they are four star cornerbacks who tell people in interviews they want to visit other schools!

But that article, is good to hear. And you're absolutely correct, each situation is unique.