CB Tevin Mitchel

Nexus

Ha, no idea. Why would a recruit add you?

I don't think it matters which way the contact was made. For example, if a recruit meets a booster at an event and then starts trading emails and texts, it doesn't matter who initiates. Shrug!

I made a comment on a Facebook group and next thing I know he friend requested me. We never once spoke about him playing at Nebraska or recruitment at other schools.

I dont message them. And I dont think its creepy either considering im only 19. And thats really stupid that a fan, cannot have any contact with a recruit such as being friends on a simple little social networking website. Thats really lame.

Doesn't really matter if you are 19 or 49, creepy or totally normal. The info below is pretty straight forward. Once they become a student/athlete they are no longer a recruit. I think it is a little easier to have a facebook/twitter/myspace friendship once the recruit status is gone. :corndance:facepalm:dedhoarsededhoarsededhoarse:dunno:bang:bang:bang

There's a distinction between players and recruits. For RECRUITS, it is a completely different story. The relationship between 'fan' and 'recruit' is absolutely forbidden. Note the Message from the NU Athletic Department Staff we have posted here.

NCAA rules and regulations are complex to say the least, but one area that is completely straightforward is fan communication with recruits. If any fans, boosters, alumni (or any other supporters) of Nebraska has any contact (e.g., in-person, instant message, text message, e-mail, fax, etc.) whatsoever with a recruit there are could be serious consequences such as:

The University of Nebraska would have an NCAA violation to report to the NCAA enforcement staff;

The recruit would become ineligible to participate in athletics at Nebraska, and before any of our coaches could continue to contact the recruit, we would have to rule him/her ineligible and then seek reinstatement through the NCAA office; and

The fan/booster/alumni involved could jeopardize their standing with the University of Nebraska athletic department.

I don't think it matters which way the contact was made. For example, if a recruit meets a booster at an event and then starts trading emails and texts, it doesn't matter who initiates. Shrug!

I made a comment on a Facebook group and next thing I know he friend requested me. We never once spoke about him playing at Nebraska or recruitment at other schools.

Honestly, I don't know what to say. That sounds completely fine to me. The rules are there for a good reason, but they were also made before things like Facebook, which completely changed the way people communicate. I don't know how the NCAA could possibly regulate all of this stuff, but it's not really my call to make. Long-set rules often have trouble adapting to changing landscapes - but until it changes, gets eased up or becomes more well defined, that message from the compliance staff is all we've got to work with.

T, there are two completely different issues here. Backlash against people stalking on current players (has that even been a huge issue?) is completely different from teetering on the line of recruiting violations. I'd love it if it weren't the case, but it is what it is.

NCAA rules and regulations are complex to say the least, but one area that is completely straightforward is fan communication with recruits. If any fans, boosters, alumni (or any other supporters) of Nebraska has any contact (e.g., in-person, instant message, text message, e-mail, fax, etc.) whatsoever with a recruit there are could be serious consequences such as:

The University of Nebraska would have an NCAA violation to report to the NCAA enforcement staff;

The recruit would become ineligible to participate in athletics at Nebraska, and before any of our coaches could continue to contact the recruit, we would have to rule him/her ineligible and then seek reinstatement through the NCAA office; and

The fan/booster/alumni involved could jeopardize their standing with the University of Nebraska athletic department.[/b]

Does any one have a copy of the actual relevant NCAA regulation rather than a letter sent from the compliance officer some years ago? If read literally (which some people apparently are doing) the compliance letter indicates that a husker fan bumping into a husker recruit at the grocery store and uttering "I'm sorry" would be a violation with serious consequences. The actual regulations are almost certainly more flexible/liberal, and I'd rather we read and quote the actual NCAA rule rather than a letter that doesn't carry any regulatory force.

Honestly, I don't know what to say. That sounds completely fine to me. The rules are there for a good reason, but they were also made before things like Facebook, which completely changed the way people communicate. I don't know how the NCAA could possibly regulate all of this stuff, but it's not really my call to make. Long-set rules often have trouble adapting to changing landscapes - but until it changes, gets eased up or becomes more well defined, that message from the compliance staff is all we've got to work with.

T, there are two completely different issues here. Backlash against people stalking on current players (has that even been a huge issue?) is completely different from teetering on the line of recruiting violations. I'd love it if it weren't the case, but it is what it is.

I am pretty sure that there are way too many cases of this that the NCAA can't really do anything about it.

I am pretty sure that there are way too many cases of this that the NCAA can't really do anything about it.

Agree. The logistics for policing social networking sites would be staggering for the NCAA. How would they be able to tell the difference between an actual fan from school A or a fan from school B trying to get school A into trouble.

That's a big problem, too. There are way too many cases of this for the NCAA to handle so I don't know exactly what they intend to do about it. That said, a good way to potentially bring a case to their attention would be by announcing it on a message board.

Trust me I wouldn't try to recruit a kid to Nebraska. People get paid good money to do that so until they pay mei'm not recruiting anybody lol

I've been following this discussion for awhile now and I still can't figure out just what the charge would be against someone who friended a player on facebook. How could you possibly go about proving that he/she did it in order to actively recruit for a school? People meet new people online all the time, people who they probably would otherwise have never come across in their lives. How could the NCAA tell the difference between a non-Nebraska fan who asks a recruit, "You heading to Nebraska next year?" and an actual fan that asks, "You heading to Nebraska next year?"

The other obvious absurdity of these contact rules is that if a student can be disqualified because a fan 'recruits' them over the internet, why don't you get a few people to start recruiting Florida players, or Texas players, or Oklahoma players, then have them self-report their wrongdoing, and screw another team over? I'm not advocating anyone try this, but you can see how easy it would be to sabotage another team.

I guess what would happen is, if the NCAA decides there was a violation - who knows where that would be; maybe if a fan was sending school paraphernalia and game DVDs to a recruit to try to get him to stay interested - then the school might have a minor recruiting violation to self-report. And face some sort of sanctions.

I agree, it's an absurd rule to enforce, when you think about it, because there's no way it can be comprehensively enforced. And about the sabotage? yeah, I don't know. Let's just leave it at that for now and get back to talking Tevin Mitchell.

• 3 weeks later...

kind of hard to understand in his interview, but he said the big 10 isn't going to affect his recruitment.

haven't heard much about 7 on 7's and how they went

They were defeated by a good Southeast team, apparently. He thought he did very well and thought it was a good experience to compete where everyone was equally as fast and talented.

He also said he was going to ask Jamal Turner where gets all his Husker stuff so he can pick up a few t-shirts and hats to sport. He is solid in his commitment and doesn't mind where Nebraska winds up playing, as it is the Blackshirt defense he is sold on.