QB Connor Brewer [Texas Commit]

Nexus

For those of us discussing the ridiculous NCAA rules pertaining to social media contact with potential recruits in the Mohammed Seisay thread, here is another example of "what not to do" in social media usage. The Longhorn Network posted an RT (aka retweet) of Texas commit Connor Brewer. Just goes to show that whether they're aware of the rule or not, it's considered a potential violation of NCAA recruiting rules. Outlandish? Absolutely. Keep in mind that this isn't the only time the Longhorn Network has crossed the line though:

During a radio interview earlier this summer on ESPN’s Austin affiliate KZNX-FM, Dave Brown talked all about the Longhorn Network. The ESPN programming vice president who is in charge of the new burnt-orange offshoot addressed the issue of broadcasting high school games.

“Certainly, we’re going to follow the great players in the state,” Brown said. “Obviously, a kid like Johnathan Gray from Aledo, I know people are going to want to see Johnathan Gray. I can’t wait to see Johnathan Gray.”

The five-star running back committed to the Longhorns in April.

“Feedback we got from our audience is they just want to see Johnathan Gray run whether it’s 45-0 or not,” Brown said. “They want to see more Johnathan Gray. So we’re going to do our best to accommodate them and follow the kids that are being recruited by a lot of Division I schools, certainly some of the kids Texas has recruited, is recruiting and everyone else in the Big 12 is recruiting.” Hold up — is recruiting?

Continue Reading

^^ That's a BIG NO-NO. Just like Bo Pelini cannot publicly come out and tell LJS or OWH that Thomas Brown committed to us today. Until that recruit has signed their name on NLI in February, no coach can publicly talk about potential recruits/commits.

Here's a copy of the RT of Connor Brewer's tweet from Longhorn Network. I'm posting a screen cap because I have a feeling they'll eventually delete the tweet once someone tells them of the potential NCAA violation.

post-7244-0-79307100-1323394651.jpg

• 1 year later...