BIG NEWS

Just reported on ESPN. (CFL)

Link?

I just went to ESPN.com (under college football) and there is nothing there.

In the comments on the JournalStar blogs that you and I just posted copies of, someone said, "They say that the schools have been told they would be WELCOMED to join. So it doesn't sound like an official invitation has been sent out yet."

Everything is being couched in appropriate phrases to provide plausible deniability in the event that later on, some plucky young reporter figures out the necessary timeline on this and starts asking questions about who was contacted when, and/or for when the Big 12 throws a hissy fit and threatens legal action against the Big 10 for poaching their members.

At what point do you stop believing the denials? I mean they have to deny it until something official is announced whether it is true or not.

Your right they kinda have to "deny" until its announced. But with so many of these different rumors flying in from local radio stations. It makes me very skeptical if a particular rumor or source is true. If this were so credible and big, I believe that ESPN would be all over this thing. Not just reporting what everybody else is hearing.

The cards to ND's future lay in their hands.

They do and they don't. Notre Dame can always stubbornly refuse to join a conference; that's their prerogative. There are other pressures, however, which may make the decision one of "independence and irrelevance" or "join a conference just to stay alive."

If the Big 10 expands, other conferences will not remain idle. The SEC, in particular, will make moves to become a superconference. They'll target schools with geographic and philosophic similarities to their culture, and the four most obvious are Oklahoma and Texas from the Big 12 and Miami and Florida State from the ACC. If the SEC raids the ACC for Miami and Florida State, the ACC has to respond by acquiring other schools. Their most obvious target is the Big East, which is home to 19 Notre Dame sports. If the Big East becomes a second-tier conference, or worse, dissolves due to ACC poaching, Notre Dame may have no choice but to join the Big 10.

If the SEC goes after Texas and Oklahoma, all this changes and Notre Dame's situation becomes less a matter of outside forces than internal wants. However, if the Big 10 adds Nebraska, Missouri and Rutgers, they could easily tell Notre Dame they're either in or out, meaning that if the Irish remain independent the Big 10 could refuse to play them, putting a huge hurt on Notre Dame's BCS chances with such a huge hit to their SOS.

On your first points- you're onto why this has become any sort of debate: The destruction of the Big East. ND football doesn't need a conference and barring a BCS change that says only conference champions can participate, then it will never need a conference. The issue is the Olympic sports, and it's a legitimate one. However, there's been little indication by the administration of a desire to change - in fact, the rhetoric against joining a conference has grown stronger as this has played out after some hedging two or so months ago - and given that the non-revenue sports are usually subsidized in large part by football, it will, in the end, come down to football.

Your second point is one I've seen elsewhere, and it's the weakest one. If the Big 10 wants to refuse to schedule ND and "hurt" ND's SOS, then I'm sure they'd be welcome to. Considering ND played more PAC 10 teams in 2009 than Big 10, I'm sure ND could find 3 teams from the ACC, Big 12, SEC or PAC 10 to play every September and keep that SOS the same.

That said, I'm going to hope you guys do join the Big 10 and hope that we phase out Michigan State or Purdue some years and get to play you again; only twice in about 40 years isn't enough. Regardless, best of luck and by every pre-preseason poll I've seen, it doesn't seem like you guys will need much of it this year.

Cheers.

I agree that the second point is the weakest, but that's what I'm reading the Big 10 is trying to use as leverage.

Of course you guys are the crown jewel in the Big 10's expansion dreams. As much as they'd like to add Nebraska, if they only added one school, they'd want that one school to be Notre Dame, no question.

The ISU board, cyclone fanatic is in absolute meltdown mode. It is hilarious. If you have time i would check it out.

ISU fans realize irrelevance

Funny stuff. Thanks for the link.....

Originally Posted by 3GenClone

If any schools leave the Big 12, could the remaining universities sue the conference for not looking out for their best interest? I just want to see Beebe thrown to the wolves, that guy has done too little for too long and he needs to pay for it now before he has the chance to step down as commissioner.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

that would be the equivalent of the people of Arkansas suing the state for such poor public education.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's the way I saw it too, just hoping to see Beebe pay for sitting on his thumbs and rocking violently back and forth in his staind skybox seat in the new Dallas Cowboys Stadium.

I believe those sources rather than believing the Chancellor because he can't say its true until June or the Big 10 officially announces it. I believe the sources.

Until the Big Ten makes it official, none of the schools mentioned can officially verify this report, so in order to cool the flames, they have no choice but to deny it. There is legal precedence to why that is the case. If anyone here is familiar with non-disclosure clauses in negotiations, then this is one example of such.

Does anyone know, if we accept the offer (assuming it has been extended), when we would technically join the big 10 and when we would start the in-conference schedule?

My guess is 2012 at the earliest. We'll give our 2-year notice to the Big 12 this summer (assuming we're officially Big Ten bound by then).

Does anyone know, if we accept the offer (assuming it has been extended), when we would technically join the big 10 and when we would start the in-conference schedule?

My guess is 2012 at the earliest. We'll give our 2-year notice to the Big 12 this summer (assuming we're officially Big Ten bound by then).

I think you're right in that there's a 2 year notice that has to be given.