BIG NEWS

I've mentioned this in another thread, but here goes again:

The Big 10 has played in more BCS bowl games than any other conference.

Big 10 = 21 appearances

SEC = 19 appearances

Big 12 = 17 appearances

Pac-10 = 14 appearances

Big East = 12 appearances

ACC = 12 appearances

Also, the Big 10 has a better winning percentage than the Big 12 in BCS bowl games. They presently rank 3rd in BCS bowl winning percentage among major BCS conferences behind the SEC and Pac-10.

• Fire 1

If this does happen does anyone think that Bo's contract will get revised to not allow him to skip out to Ohio State since we'll be in the same conference? If this is going to happen I hope TO has thought out every scenario possible. This one decision will shape NU football for the rest of time pretty much. I'm also curious as to how this would change our approach on recruiting. Texas has so much talent and we have really good relationships there but I wonder if they will still want to come to NU if we don't play any games there. We also do a lot of recruiting from California and pretty much the only team in the big ten that did a good job of recruiting cali was Michigan when Carr was there, but not really a lot anymore.

The bolded statement is enough to make me want to go to the big 10

If this does happen does anyone think that Bo's contract will get revised to not allow him to skip out to Ohio State since we'll be in the same conference? If this is going to happen I hope TO has thought out every scenario possible. This one decision will shape NU football for the rest of time pretty much. I'm also curious as to how this would change our approach on recruiting. Texas has so much talent and we have really good relationships there but I wonder if they will still want to come to NU if we don't play any games there. We also do a lot of recruiting from California and pretty much the only team in the big ten that did a good job of recruiting cali was Michigan when Carr was there, but not really a lot anymore.

The bolded statement is enough to make me want to go to the big 10

Bingo! If we're in the Big 10, we would be able to afford to pay our coaching staff competitive salaries to keep them here.

Big Ten put the wood to the SEC this year in Bowl games. Northwestern should have beaten a heavily favored team. Wisconsin dominated wire to wire on a favored Miami team. Minnesota was a letdown, but against an underrated ISU team. Penn State beat a favored LSU team. Michigan State had a poor showing this year across the board but still kept the game against TTU closer than we did. Add that to two BCS wins against favored opponents. They were nearly 2-0 against the all-powerful SEC playing as underdogs. They lost two games to Big 12 teams but middle of the pack teams vs. middle of the pack teams. They beat all other opponents for a solid overall record.

I think they were favored in the Minnesota game alone, maybe the TTU game as well. Rest were all underdog victories with Northwestern barely falling.

I think it would make NU even more physical moving to the Ten as well.

• Fire 1

Big Ten put the wood to the SEC this year in Bowl games. Northwestern should have beaten a heavily favored team. Wisconsin dominated wire to wire on a favored Miami team. Minnesota was a letdown, but against an underrated ISU team. Penn State beat a favored LSU team. Michigan State had a poor showing this year across the board but still kept the game against TTU closer than we did. Add that to two BCS wins against favored opponents. They were nearly 2-0 against the all-powerful SEC playing as underdogs. They lost two games to Big 12 teams but middle of the pack teams vs. middle of the pack teams. They beat all other opponents for a solid overall record.

I think they were favored in the Minnesota game alone, maybe the TTU game as well. Rest were all underdog victories with Northwestern barely falling.

I think it would make NU even more physical moving to the Ten as well.

Michigan St. played in that game without 7 of their starters because they were dismissed for misconduct a month before the bowl game.

Yeah, they definitely redeemed themselves a bit this last year. Quite frankly, I think that the history and tradition and money at programs like Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State is going to assure us that we are in a quality conference more than where we currently are. We've got two teams that are good on a cyclical pattern other than us. Rest can have good showings, but same with Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota, etc. The big deal is that we can't count on Texas staying and that puts us in a vulnerable position. This has been said more than once on this very board though.

Yeah, they definitely redeemed themselves a bit this last year. Quite frankly, I think that the history and tradition and money at programs like Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State is going to assure us that we are in a quality conference more than where we currently are. We've got two teams that are good on a cyclical pattern other than us. Rest can have good showings, but same with Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota, etc. The big deal is that we can't count on Texas staying and that puts us in a vulnerable position. This has been said more than once on this very board though.

Look at it from an all-time wins standpoint. Assuming Nebraska does end up in the Big 10, then 4 of the Top 6 teams in wins are from the Big 10:

Michigan = 877

Texas = 845

Nebraska = 837

Notre Dame = 837

Ohio St. = 819

Penn St. = 812

I know alot of people are worried about Texas recruiting if we would move to the Big 10. Now, I know as far as parents go they would have to travel further to watch kids play. But, one thing big time recruits and their parents would get informed about is exposure! The Big 10 has a great TV contract and they have their own network. The exposure for kids playing football would be much better. The Big 12 is sooooooo far behind in TV and multimedia exposure it's embarrassing. You'd think the big cats with all the money in Texas could get something figured out.

Anyway, I heard an interview with Commish "Dick" Beebe on Sports nightly last week and he is out of it. He has no idea what is going on, and his conference is going to get picked apart team by team. I can't wait to see Beebe in tears. He has been a crap Commish and has done nothing to move the Big 12 forward even with all the things and money available to him to do it. He's been so worried about sucking butt of all the big money in Texas, he lost track of what was important to running a conference.

I'm so sick of Texas and the southern bias in the Big 12 I think moving conferences is the best option. Also, don't forget T.O. was NEVER in favor of the formation of the Big 12 because he was worried about southern bias in the conference, and I think it was one reason he decided to retire when he did. T.O. will listen if the Big 10 calls, and I'd say he will listen intently.

• Fire 1

when, again, was the announcement to be made this week?

Patiently waiting.... I would think be now their would be some noise about when this week it is going to be announced.

The guys in the local media will definitely let us know if there's a presser announced. They'll know what's up, and between the Weird Herald and the JournalStar, they'll have it up in a blog ASAP.

Patiently waiting.... I would think be now their would be some noise about when this week it is going to be announced.

The guys in the local media will definitely let us know if there's a presser announced. They'll know what's up, and between the Weird Herald and the JournalStar, they'll have it up in a blog ASAP.

i can't stop checking all of the blogs, but something tells me the best/first place i'll hear it is right here on huskerboard.

Im sure they are all over it, if it is going to happen. Usually something this big we would know like 2,3,4 days in advance that theirs going to be "announcement" made.