Most intelligent fanbase in the country???

This has always been something Nebraska fans have prided themselves on, and something I've always heard. It was something I always just accepted as being true, or at least partially so, and if I was to judge our intelligence based on forum goers I would probably agree. Thing is, and I don't know if the average football fan is this dumb, or if I am that prideful and arrogant, or if we are wrong in our opinions of ourselves, but anytime I try to talk real Husker football with someone, whether it's at a game, at the grocery store, anywhere, people are either just totally misinformed or don't care too much or think that they know everything and have a decent level of factual knowledge but don't have very good comprehension of things.

The spring game was another example of this for me. The guy next to me had something factual to say after every play, such as drawing strong opinions on how the season would shape out due to a practice, talking about how Bo is having Ron Brown fly down to Texas for some heavy recruiting, or a myriad of other things (some of them correct, some of them wrong and some of them seemingly made up). Half the time I would correct him on something and then he would play it off like "oh yeah duh I knew that!".

What have other people's experiences been like? This hasn't been an isolated incident, I run into people like this often.

Whenever you heard from a commentator about how intelligent Husker fans are they usualy meant.

1. They know when to make noise on defense.

2. They know when to be quiet when the offense is playing.

3. They know good football when they see it.(IE clapping for opponents that deserved to win in a hard fought game)

If you took it as meaning X and O'S and being well informed of what every asst coach is doing then that is more your fault then anyone elses. Though if you took the people that wear corn head hats out of the stadium the Intelligence would probably go up just a smidge.

+1 Spot on. An average fan is an average fan. Most fans anywhere can't break down x's and o's...but Nebraska fans know football as a fan. The best in the country in that regard.

+1 to the "most Loyal" I know that you can talk to about 75% of the population of Nebraska and they will at least know some of the current players and some history facts about the team. I think that's why the rumor got started b/c it seems like any one you talk to in Nebraska they have opinions and some knowledge on the team. We have to have the highest per capita fan base.